Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 13 replies

chargebacks

silvabullit

Aug 24, 2009, 7:39 PM
lets say I have a phone that costs my company $100. I sell it for $0 but then make $200 in commissions. customer cancels service within 6 months and I get a chargeback $300 because they didnt return the phone.

my company is pulling this crap on me and i think its bullshit.
Verde321

Aug 24, 2009, 11:21 PM
Is it bullcrap? Probably.

Does your company care about you? Not really.

Such is life. ☚ī¸

My pet peeve with our chargeback system is that chargebacks are based on your current commission scale. So the month or 2 after I got the "raise" I was being chargedback more than I was paid on things. :\
elMamBo

Aug 25, 2009, 10:01 AM
wow.. what companies are these.. cheaters
elMamBo

Aug 25, 2009, 9:56 AM
that seriously sucks...
Menno

Aug 25, 2009, 10:41 AM
The company got paid the 300 in commission in your example.

(300 commission-100 phone=200 profit)

So if a customer cancels (the company loses that commission) and doesn't return the phone (the company loses that phone) you'll get the full amount in chargbacks.

Remember, most companies don't actually get paid those commissions from the carriers for several months after the sale date. Now, 6 months sounds a bit extreme to me (we have 3 months here) but that is the nature of the carrier more often than not, not the company.
Verde321

Aug 25, 2009, 11:12 AM
The way it works for att (as far as I know, I could be wrong) is that a contract has to be kept for 6 months before store gets to keep its payment for the contract.

As far as features go, a store gets paid every 10 days on features it has added. If the feature is removed before the 6 month period, the salesperson loses the commission but the store keeps what it has been paid.
tmochicka24

Aug 25, 2009, 11:15 AM
Wow 😲 that is messed up...you probably busted A$$ to sell the phone so you should be able to keep the comission and your company should eat the cost of them canceling.
Crapbag

Aug 25, 2009, 9:19 PM
Really? Why should a company eat the cost? Commissions is a bonus, not a mandatory income.
tmochicka24

Aug 26, 2009, 9:03 AM
because I said so 😲
w1ndex

Aug 25, 2009, 11:50 AM
That sucks!

We charge the customer back for the discount they recieved on the phone. It's listed on our return policy that the customer signs. We just have to make sure to explain this to every customer.
dualitycomplex

Aug 25, 2009, 8:50 PM
we have the 180 day here for features plans and phones, the one thing i dont agree with is if the customer changes their features say for example customer comes in the store and signs on with a 10dollar txt package and they are in another city and realize they are going to go over and up their txt to the 15 dollar package, I get a full charge back and the new sales person gets the full commission, or for example a PDA customer who gets a 30 web and e-mail also gets tethering goes to another store the person there opens the account and switches them to the 45 web and the 15 teathering I get a full charge back they get a full commission and the customer pays exactly the same amount so they never notice, BS i say.
Crapbag

Aug 25, 2009, 9:16 PM
AT&T thankfully did away with that system. They now only pay partial commision to the upgrading rep. If they downgrade, you get a partial charge back and the adjusting agent gets $0.
Crapbag

Aug 25, 2009, 9:21 PM
Do you work for an agent? If so you probably have it in the contract a charge for failure to return the device. In the case of my company, it's my job to follow up with that.
jeffatt

Aug 28, 2009, 12:47 PM
They can't charge you back more than you're getting paid on the original transaction.

If they are, there has to be more to the story.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.