Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 10 replies

Contract vs Pre-Paid service

Researcher

Jul 25, 2009, 12:43 PM
For many this might be a stupid question. However, I would like some professional feedback. Because I am in the industry, I got pulled into a discussion about the "pros and cons" of contract vs prepaid services. What are your thoughts?

Do both have good points? Why should one select one over the other? Is one better? Dose the company/provider have much to do with it? Are the features and services really the same with both? If you have one do you wish you had gotten the other? What would you tell a friend or family member to get and why?

I would like to know your thoughts. Plus, as we have both dealers/agents and the customers/public that are part of these forums, it might help someone else too.

Thanks!
20momof3

Jul 25, 2009, 1:19 PM
In general, if you don't need a phone for consistent usage then a Prepaid could be a better option. However, with Prepaid services, typically the minutes will expire after a certain period of time. With Prepaid, you cannot get a free phone, however there are no activation fees.

With a contract you can get a free phone, yes, you're locked in for a period of time (typically two years) and you do pay an activation fee. If you are going to use the phone on a regular basis, this may be a better option because you'll have a bill each month, but it can end up being less expensive than Prepaid service.
llama

Jul 25, 2009, 1:21 PM
depends on the prepay service/coverage...

We have an unlimited voice for $30...but it is not nationwide...
20momof3

Jul 25, 2009, 1:31 PM
Valid point Llama. I only know T-Mo since that's who I work for...
Menno

Jul 25, 2009, 3:38 PM
It depends on what you are talking about with prepay.

There are two different types of prepay.. The first is "traditional" prepay where you pay a certain amount per minute.

This is the best value for people who want an emergency only phone, or for people who only use their phones infrequently (1-2 times a week. It's also decent for kids (as a way to control spending) or anyone who suffers from poor credit and doesn't want to pay a dealer deposit.

Traditional prepay gets VERY expensive the more a customer uses it.

Then there are "Prepay unlimited" plans, along with Prepay plans (similar to contract plans). These are a much better value, running from 20-100 or so a month. The main difference is that there is no contract involve...
(continues)
Researcher

Jul 25, 2009, 5:59 PM
The service I use all minute cards are on for 120 days. Cost per minute depends on the card amount. For example $10 is 83 minutes at 12 cents per minute. While a $25 card is 300 minutes at 9 cents per. They have unlimited nights and weekends, unlimited 24/7, text plans, WAP, pic text and can use any phone on the VZW network.

I have not had a home phone for over four years. My average cost per month is about 30 to 40 bucks. I recal it was a lot more with a contract. New phone no big deal.
Menno

Jul 26, 2009, 11:05 PM
You can get basic contract plans at around 40-50 a month (cheaper with some smaller carriers) but from the sound of it, you use your phone infrequently enough that prepay is a good value for you.
Webb

Jul 25, 2009, 7:53 PM
I personally go with prepaid because my usage is so low that a monthly plan just wouldn't be worth it. A $50 airtime purchase will last me three months with time left over. It's also simple to activate it when I need it, and discontinue it when I don't (though this does mean my cell number changes from time to time).

I wouldn't recommend it though, for someone whose usage tends to be rather more significant, and whose needs are more constant... unless they somehow have that odd combo of bad credit and money to burn.
MrGoofball

Jul 27, 2009, 9:33 AM
This one is easy.
If you are a Pimp or a Drug Dealer Prepay.
Everyone else? Contract.
Researcher

Jul 27, 2009, 12:30 PM
....then what pre-pay service do you have?

🤣
Menno

Jul 27, 2009, 5:10 PM
Where you at? Where my money at?

I see where you're at cause I got Loopt!

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.