Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 27 replies

5 GB of data???

klazziic

May 13, 2009, 11:53 AM
why do all the carriers took away the unlimited and replace it for 5 GB?, most of my customers go over
phonescooptroll

May 13, 2009, 11:59 AM
Our account manager told us that it was because people were signing up for the unlimited and then setting up wi-fi spots and selling it. If this is true I have no idea but it's the only explanation I've been given.
klazziic

May 13, 2009, 12:04 PM
oh sh!!t , thats pretty smart..... if it was true

thx
Tmo Slave

May 13, 2009, 12:21 PM
Mainly because cell networks can't handle the network traffic. So they don't want people using their data cards as a main internet connection. So if they did unlimited data people would abuse it and slow other people down.
ac4321

May 13, 2009, 1:56 PM
I understand that, if it's the case. If it is, though, then all the carriers need to stop charging $60/month for it.

If it isn't meant to be used like a primary connection then it shouldn't be priced like one. And, no, the mobile factor doesn't add back up to that. It might if it was a dedicated/constant speed that matched home based connections, coverage was more ubiquitous, and it was not so annoying for non-techies to set up.
Menno

May 13, 2009, 2:04 PM
Can you take your cable modem with you everywhere and access the internet from the middle of the field?

Mobile Broadband is expensive. If it is too pricey for you then get your cable/DSL, but it is an Amazing value for people who are on the road often or people who don't have any other options but dialup.

You can't compare cable pricing to aircards because they are completely different things. Aircards are for mobile connections, and anything that is mobile will have a premium associated with it.
cilvzwagent

May 13, 2009, 2:31 PM
The 2 major cable providers in my area $59.99 for unlimited mediocre speeds...$79.99 for better, but not that great speeds. And you're stuck with internet at home, not with you. And 1 of the 2 cable companies require you take atleast their base programming package in order to get their internet, so the 59-79 ends up being close to if not over $100 anyways.

VZW Broadband - $59.99 for 5GB... Faster than my cable, and I'm not stuck inside the walls of my house with it. And I could care less about gaming and intense downloading.

In the hundreds of aircards we've sold out of my location this year, I've only had 3 come back with massive overages. 1 guy just didn't understand the concept of "DISCONNECT" after downloading 150 songs through ...
(continues)
Menno

May 13, 2009, 12:46 PM
Torrent Files.

People downloading HD quality movies, and then having them being sent to 10 other people at the same time.. These things destroy bandwidth.

Most carriers had a data cap (hard or soft) before the switch to 5gb plans but people took advantage of it, and data still isn't cheap.

The data networks arn't strong enough for unlimited (or even "high limit" plans like 80gb plus) Aircards arn't intended to be primary internet connections for heavy users because people will abuse it if it is listed as unlimited.
Tomdg07

May 13, 2009, 12:55 PM
and people who use it for gaming, rebroadcasting telivison signals or as stated downloading hd movies just suck up all space on the network and we all no no carrier has enough space for everybody to do use them as primary internet , i had a cus call in bill cycle started 4 days ago and was already shut off by high usage dept
frontncenter

May 13, 2009, 12:58 PM
Tomdg07 said:
we all no no carrier has

Had me confused for a second until I got it as "know" because using too much bandwidth is a no no
sckoisks17

May 13, 2009, 1:25 PM
offers unlimited access on its mobile broadband plans. If Alltel still exists in your area, that is.
cilvzwagent

May 13, 2009, 2:33 PM
sckoisks17 said:
offers unlimited access on its mobile broadband plans, but there is also a good reasy why Alltel is being swallowed up by Big Red and will eventually be no more, so to speak. If Alltel still exists in your area, that is.
GraGG

May 13, 2009, 3:13 PM
they want the overages 👀
Menno

May 13, 2009, 3:22 PM
Yes, and that's why Verizon caps the overages. 🙄
GraGG

May 13, 2009, 3:27 PM
are you telling me it is cuz they dont want to make money? 🙄
Menno

May 13, 2009, 3:41 PM
Overages are there for people who can't control their usage. It is costly for companies to operate these networks. I'm willing to bet a huge chunk of people with 5gb plans wouldn't use that cap on an average month, this helps cover the cost for the people who do. the overages are there for the people who use even more than the cap.

Verizon wants to make money, but they want predictable income. Overages are headaches and unpredictable.
GraGG

May 13, 2009, 4:25 PM
but overages a income after the garunteed 60, they dont care how spuradic it is... tho i believe they put the cap so ppl couldnt create servers overr their airways, or to stop ppl from streamin things like slingbox
Tmo Slave

May 13, 2009, 4:41 PM
Yes overages are income but people are less likely to pay those overages especially if they are really high. Putting a cap on service and overages protect the dumb people and at the same time increase the likely hood that said overages will be paid.
Menno

May 13, 2009, 4:45 PM
They wouldn't care about people creating servers if overages were as lucrative as you seem to think they are.

data's not cheap, and heavy use ruins browsing for other customers, which is a PR problem.

The overages are there to discourage people using more than their cap, not for a company to make more money.

This is why most companies are perfectly willing to drop overage costs if you agree to a higher rate plan.
GraGG

May 14, 2009, 9:27 PM
well verizon does offer an unlimited plan, its just expensive as phuck, and as far as the cap, they still allow you to go over 5 gb, they just charge 25 cents a meg after, yes they want faster bandwith, but to say they would rather have no usage fees over 5gb if they had unlimited bandwith and it didnt degrade, then your retarded
Menno

May 15, 2009, 1:12 AM
5 cents a meg.

I am saying they would rather you use under 5gb until they have a higher plan that is profitable for them to offer. Overages help compensate for the cost, but they are not something Verizon hopes for.
GraGG

May 15, 2009, 5:33 PM
25 cents man, i sell this junk
Menno

May 15, 2009, 6:13 PM
read your promotional material?
sirbri32

May 15, 2009, 6:31 PM
its not 5 yet, its still 25....

don't be breaking verizon confidential announcements early young man...bad bad!
sirbri32

May 16, 2009, 10:00 AM
Neither site is an official VZW site, and as a VZW employee you should understand the rules
klazziic

May 14, 2009, 9:02 PM
or else you would find me playing poker @ Pokerstars all day ... lol 😁

It would be nice if they decide to put more time and money towards unlimited wireless Internet, plus I'm sure they would have much more customers + more cash,
people are never home .... "remember what happen to house phones " ....

cell phones ...
Menno

May 15, 2009, 1:13 AM
more cash is only a good thing if the services offered cost less than the income they generate

unlimited internet would not do this with current technology unless you charged an insane amount.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.