Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 31 replies

programmed people

posioaui

Mar 5, 2005, 4:14 PM
so why is it when i ask a customer initially how there doing, there first response is almost always "im just looking". which is fine, but i asked how they were doing... so im lead to believe that it doesnt matter what i say to them initially, i could say almost anything and they'll still just be looking.. interesting.. just a thought 🙄
Grantizzle

Mar 5, 2005, 4:17 PM
at least you get a response. i hate the ones that ignore me.
thejason

Mar 5, 2005, 8:54 PM
yeah, i get a lot of that... they'll usually respond if you turn to your coworker and go: "oh crap! can you hear me? oh lord! oh jesus help me i'm mute!!!!!!"

the louder you say it, the better the response.
Grantizzle

Mar 5, 2005, 8:58 PM
thejason said:
yeah, i get a lot of that... they'll usually respond if you turn to your coworker and go: "oh crap! can you hear me? oh lord! oh jesus help me i'm mute!!!!!!"

the louder you say it, the better the response.

imma try that.
thejason

Mar 5, 2005, 9:02 PM
it's good fun, as long as you don't get fired
Darth_Ix

Mar 7, 2005, 11:37 PM
When it's really obvious that they are ignoring me I walk up to them touch them on the shoulder and start signing to them. After about to or three phrases they stop me and say, "I'm not deaf." And I say to them, "Well then you really should pay more attention, if I hadn't thought to offer you special assistance then you would havhad a real tough time getting any help in here."
Rathrok

Mar 5, 2005, 4:25 PM
Next time ask "How are you, mind if I kick you in the junk?"
posioaui

Mar 5, 2005, 4:47 PM
the ones that ignore me, I just keep asking, I'll ask them 5 or 6 times until they respond or leave... damnit... im a person too!
ElmerFudPucker

Mar 6, 2005, 12:34 PM
I love when you thake the time to explain the details of the plan and you just know they haven't heard a word you just said! You could be saying "you are an idiot and if you look here you can see that I'm right and eventhough you are stupid and will never pass a credit check I will tell you all about how dumb you are!" "Sounds pretty good doesn't it?" Customer response: do you get rollover minutes?
ccanady

Mar 10, 2005, 2:44 PM
ElmerFudPucker said:Customer response: do you get rollover minutes?

I think thats the number one thing that comes out of a customers mouth, the other time they ask, "can I get free incoming?" 🙄 uhhh NO...
Grantizzle

Mar 10, 2005, 2:47 PM
ccanady said:
ElmerFudPucker said:Customer response: do you get rollover minutes?

I think thats the number one thing that comes out of a customers mouth, the other time they ask, "can I get free incoming?" 🙄 uhhh NO...

i just say "no, that's cingular/nextel. you're in a verizon store. "
ccanady

Mar 10, 2005, 2:50 PM
I dont sell Verizon, I sell ALLTEL!!!!!!!!
Aarynk

Mar 5, 2005, 5:22 PM
Rathrok said:
Next time ask "How are you, mind if I kick you in the junk?"

🤣 🤣
I would really like to try that once
Aarynk

Mar 5, 2005, 5:21 PM
posioaui said:
so why is it when i ask a customer initially how there doing, there first response is almost always "im just looking". which is fine, but i asked how they were doing... so im lead to believe that it doesnt matter what i say to them initially, i could say almost anything and they'll still just be looking.. interesting.. just a thought 🙄

I hate the people that come in and when you greet them they just ignore you. What is this all about?? 🙄
freedomwireless

Mar 5, 2005, 6:14 PM
All you need to do is reply with "Well, what exactly are you looking FOR?" works every time for me! Also , I hate people that are programmed to "no". If I ask you how you are doing or what you are looking for and you reply with "no", you sound pretty dumb.
nodeposit

Mar 5, 2005, 6:56 PM
my favorite is when they walk up and grap a price guide and just stand there and read it. I ask them if I can help and they say "just looking thanks." Apparently they arent' aware that they can take it with them. If they don't want me to bug them they can walk off with it.
hishkebibble

Mar 5, 2005, 6:58 PM
its people like that that make me wanna switch to elecrify the kiosk like the Tyrannosaur pit...BZZZZZZT! 😈
2Rails

Mar 5, 2005, 7:19 PM
ME: How are you today, sir?
CUSTOMER: I'm just looking.

ME: Do you have any questions about what you're looking at?
CUSTOMER: No, I don't have any questions.

(very short pause)

CUSTOMER: Hey, excuse me, how much is this? (can also be substituted with "What kinda deals you got?)

that one i'm always tempted to answer with the $300/month plan, because, technically it's the best per minute rate 😈
pizpiz80

Mar 7, 2005, 4:34 PM
I hate when i ask "how are you?" and the either:

1.Ignore me
2. or say "i already have one." I dont give a F$ck if you already have one, i asked how you were.
GWFOX

Mar 10, 2005, 12:27 PM
I must of had a bad day during Christmas. I NEVER do things like this.

Me: "Hi. Welcome to the store. What brings you in today?"

Customer: "Just looking"

Me: "Alright. What are you looking for?"

Customer: "Just browsing around"

Me: "It's Christmas time. Nobody just browses around with a week left. If you are *just browsing* then why are you here wasting time?"

Customer: "Oh. Well.. I'm actually looking for.."

--------------------------------------------- --

I hate customers that ignore you.. I did this instance about a weeks ago.

Me: "Hi. Welcome to the store. What brings you in today?"

Customer: ----- (no response)

Me: (I promptly turn my back on the customer and sit at my desk and go to work on paperwork)

(continues)
ccanady

Mar 10, 2005, 2:49 PM
nodeposit said:
my favorite is when they walk up and grap a price guide and just stand there and read it. I ask them if I can help and they say "just looking thanks." Apparently they arent' aware that they can take it with them. If they don't want me to bug them they can walk off with it.

you never ask a customer a yes or no question. You have not been taught that? Never set yourself up, ask " what can I help you with?" now they cant say no. If they say, "Im just looking." Then you respond "what is it your looking for?" Sometimes it helps to have a little fun with them, if they are just looking reply with, "well I know you are here to buy something or you would have not come in" 😁
jkrivjansky

Mar 7, 2005, 2:45 PM
ME: Thank you and could I please have your anme as it appears on yoru credit card

Them(1): My name

Them(2): It's 4124.... and proceed to give me the card number.

One day I might just enter the info as given and hope they try and fire me for it. I entered EXACTLY the information I was given.
motoritz

Mar 7, 2005, 5:38 PM
HMM WHY DONT WE DISCONTINUE THOSE STINKIN DEPOSITS 😈
posioaui

Mar 9, 2005, 7:23 PM
yeah and we should give the service for free too... that would be brilliant...
motoritz

Mar 9, 2005, 9:39 PM
and cause of the retards who dont pay their bills
Darth_Ix

Mar 7, 2005, 11:39 PM
When a customer says I'm just looking I usually say, "Great! Just yell if anything looks back."
Darth_Ix

Mar 7, 2005, 11:40 PM
I wait for a minute or so then approach them and ask if they are looing for something in particular. They open right up at that point.
TommyBoy

Mar 12, 2005, 12:00 AM
Very stupid we have to do that though. I got this one.
(when i worked for sprint after i put my 2 weeks in)
situation 1
Me: hi there what can we do for you?
cust: just looking
me: well do you have any questions so far?
cust: no. (firmly like it was my fault for doing my job)
me: *return to doing busy work*
cust: how much is this phone (while looking at the tag)
me: the price is marked.
cust: well how much if im a customer already?
me: quiet a few questions you have there? thought you didnt have any.

situation 2
me: hi what brings you in today?
cust: im just looking
me: nice to meet you mr looking im mr selling.. so what are you looking for?

--------------------------------------------- --

Kiosk situation
me: hi what ...
(continues)
ElmerFudPucker

Mar 12, 2005, 11:36 AM
Customer walks up to my kiosk...

Me: Hi, how are you doing?
Customer: Fine.

Me: Is there anything I can help you with?
Customer: No, just looking.

Me: Are you looking for anything inparticular?
Customer: No, just looking.

Me: Let me know if there is anything I can help you with, or if you want me to pull out any of the phones.
Customer: 1 of 3 things
1. Comes up with a question.
2. Continues to look silently, eventuallly has
a question.
3. Walks away after looking a little longer.

Occasionally someone will get more involved in a conversation with me, but every once in a while one will actually get a phone after the perverbial "just looking" remark.
TommyBoy

Mar 12, 2005, 12:44 PM
When I get a customer that comes up saying they are looking to get a phone and they don't have one before I ask them any questions I put my game face on cause chances are its a mystery shopper. Next mystery shopper I get Im going to mess with them and keep asking to close the sale. Cmon we have a 15 day trial. cust will say no thanks we are going to look around a bit more. and ill say well take this phone with you to try out the service while you look. We have the most reliable network and you can't beat the price on this deal here. cmon just give it a shot. Just to see if i can get a comment about how aggressive i was to try to close the sale... maybe get a comment about being too aggressive so my management will back off 😲
ralph_on_me

Mar 12, 2005, 1:53 PM
Mystery Shoppers are pretty obvious around here. I call them on it and watch them blush. Then I drop the quoted text for text checklist they go through, ask them for anything else, then watch them crawl away wounded.
jeveryday

Mar 12, 2005, 4:35 PM
People are so afraid of being sold they go into defense mode at the moment you speak. For example, I work for indirect, and a guy came up to the kiosk looking for phones..I said "How ya doin sir?" he said "Its not time for me to upgrade yet, Im just looking?" How the hell does that answer my question? What if I was genuinely concerned about his welfare? People confuse me.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.