Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 17 replies

Why give away money???

kapwww

Mar 23, 2009, 7:47 PM
While I was selling a phone and had a bunch of accessories on the counter ready to go, my coworker just told her customer to go her her memory card, card reader, and car charger at RadioShack because its cheaper.

My customer looked at me and asked if that was true then decided not to get ANY accessories because she wanted to check the RS price. I even offered a discount but no go. I know my car chargers are less and the memory card may only be at most $5 more. The card reader might be a different story. Not sure what kind of junk they sell.

Either way, why the hell would she send someone to another store when we have everything available, let alone say that when I have a customer ready to buy everything???? I am ready to physi...
(continues)
C0braC0mmander

Mar 23, 2009, 8:17 PM
That's just as bad as customers asking you how much your competition charges for stuff.

I once had a lady who came in with an airtran (airlines) jacket on. She inquired about our pricing on some accessories. I told her the prices and she decided that those were too high.

She then points to a kiosk just down the hall that sells fake gold chains and cell phone accessories, and asks how much they charge for the same stuff.

I ask her why she would think that I would know/tell her if I did, about my own competitor's pricing. She told me that since they were next to me, I should know.

I ask her how much Delta charges for a flight to Vegas. She says, "But, I don't work for Delta."

"But, they're in the same terminal. You should know...
(continues)
Nadesico81

Mar 24, 2009, 2:55 AM
Yep I have seen many salesman talk their way out of an sale becouse they think they are helping a customer by telling them its cheaper at XYZ store.

Case in point when the custy says.. Ok I will buy this and pulls out wallet or card. You need to Shut the **** up say nothing then ring the sale up.

Once the transaction is done, the customer is less likely to say no thanks since they all ready paid. Never say "well the Other store, shop or what ever has it cheaper".

Many times a customer is willing to pay more for personal customer service thqn to buy the same product for less somewhere elce.

Thats how smaller wireless stores beat the BIG Box stores.

If your coworker does that with another custy. I say throw them out the win...
(continues)
Researcher

Mar 24, 2009, 12:40 PM
So so true. How many "salespeople" talk themselves OUT of a sale.

People go back to the note above. When a customer gets their wallet out, SHUT UP and WRITE UP THE SALE.
liquidfire

Mar 24, 2009, 2:49 PM
dude someone needs to beat this into my old manager. ppl would come to my kiosk looking to UPGRADE their sprint/nextel phones. just upgrade, keep the same plan, all they want is a new phone.

Well my dumbarse manager would pull out the VZW and ATT brochures. most of the time the customers would walk away because he was pissin them off and taking too long (plus why show the competition when they are already with your company??) or they would switch to att or vzw.

guy is a moron. glad he doesnt work for us anymore.
Menno

Mar 24, 2009, 3:26 PM
Oh you are happy with _______ and want to see our new phones?

Well why don't I show you how we beat _______ and _______ on everything?

What" Yes, I know you are happy with us, I just want to show you why we are better... even without ______

Well yes, that is a good phone, and a cool feature, but we don't have it... we have ______ and you like us... remember you said it earlier?

No, I don't know the number of _______ they are my competition.

*And another shot in the foot*

^ is why selling "by the book" is such a stupid idea.
dualitycomplex

Mar 24, 2009, 5:02 PM
this is almost the exact same wording i used at my last manager's meeting on why cookie cutter selling is a terrible practice.

I always tell my guys that work for me to not even mention the competition once ever, and if the customer brings it up to remain as neutral in response as possible.
liquidfire

Mar 25, 2009, 3:06 PM
no this guy was not a salesman. he was a moron. he couldnt sell his way out of a paper bag. the only sales he got were the free phones and he still had to give away accessories for free to get the ppl to sign.
kapwww

Mar 24, 2009, 11:48 PM
He just wanted a new act over an up. I hate people who only care about money and not what the customer wants.
liquidfire

Mar 25, 2009, 3:07 PM
yea he did that too. since we're sprint and nextel and under Shentel for sprint, anyone who switches from nextel to sprint is considered a new line.

ppl would come in looking to upgrade their nextels and he would talk them into sprint. even when they would tell him that sprint didnt work where they lived. like clockwork, they would be back within a week to return the sprint phones and go back to nextel.
Menno

Mar 24, 2009, 2:04 PM
The ONLY time I tell people they will get a better deal somewhere else is if they are looking to buy a phone outright. And I only do that because we have a very low markup on our phones, so the profit we make isn't existent, and people typically yell about full retail phones anyway.

But yeah, for ACC and the like... why in the world would you ever send a customer away?
liquidfire

Mar 24, 2009, 2:50 PM
if i dont have what they are looking for, i'll send them to a certain place because i know the guy and he hooks me up on stuff since i send ppl to him. but if i have it i'm gonna sell it to them at MY PRICE
frankiewawa

Mar 25, 2009, 12:24 PM
What kind of donkey would do such a thing? Do you guys not work on commision? If not I can see why she wouldn't give a ****.
OfAMightDivine

Mar 25, 2009, 12:42 PM
Because most people in the wireless industry are nothing more than customers that have been 'trained'.

Those types of people will be customers first, employees second.

Usually the same people that will complain about being screamed at while working, but you'll catch them on break yelling at some poor customer service rep for something else over a trivial matter.
haternation

Apr 15, 2009, 4:50 PM
Honestly I've charged people over the SRP of something before. Its all in how you market it. We have sold bluetooths that the corporate store down the hall (we are in a mall) sells for the same price for as much as 30$ over SRP. We only do it to really rude customers but still its all in how you do it.
gowirelessconsultant

Apr 15, 2009, 7:50 PM
Quit your whining. Life isn't just about money you money grubbing whores. Besides maybe your coworker was hot and you could hook up.
texaswireless

Apr 16, 2009, 10:08 AM
Fishing off the company pier?
JimmyTaliban

Apr 16, 2009, 4:37 PM
Punch her in the throat next time she does that. It shouldn't happen again.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.