Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 22 replies

Tips

Tmo Slave

Mar 12, 2009, 3:18 PM
So this lady came into my store today because her phone bill was really high and wanted to see what we could do to save some money. She was on a regional plan and got a new boyfriend who has a long distance number. So I switched her to the new tmobile loyalty plan for the same price. She was really happy with my service and wanted to buy me a coffee. I politely declined since I don't drink coffee and already had a energy drink. She left and then came back a few mins later and said she just wanted to thank me again. She went to shake my hand and placed a folded up $20 in my hand. She left quickly so there was no real way I could decline. Normally we are not suppose to take tips. What would you guys do in this type if situation?
GraGG

Mar 12, 2009, 3:19 PM
you denied it twice.. you did your part, pocket the cash 😉
Cell Girl

Mar 12, 2009, 6:02 PM
I didnt know people ever even got offered tips. I have never gotten one
Menno

Mar 12, 2009, 6:30 PM
Ive been offered coffee/donuts (we're next to a dunkin) and people have wanted to pay me for advice/tech support before (but no way to take it in the system)

I just think it's funny how you can have these customers who value what you offer and then have the ones who come in and want everything for free because they "deserve" it.
purplelotus

Mar 12, 2009, 8:11 PM
Well step up your customer service and see what happens! 🙄 lol
Decept.ICON

Mar 23, 2009, 3:04 PM
show more boob... 👀
Menno

Mar 12, 2009, 3:46 PM
I've bought coffee for some of my regulars before (they ported in several lines over the course of weeks) so occasionally I'll accept coffee if they are getting some, but it's always a "small-Black" coffee. (under a dollar)

You declined their attempts at tipping and they did it anyway. as long as you don't put out a sign or bowl for tips I think you should be ok. If it is an issue, you should have a sign that says something along the lines of you cannot accept tips.
purplelotus

Mar 12, 2009, 4:03 PM
HAHA.
TAKE THE MONEY AND RUUUN! 🤣
jeffatt

Mar 12, 2009, 5:47 PM
Take the money. Screw policy...in this day and age, if you come across someone willing to give you money [i]in addition[/i] to whatever company is requiring them to pay for their service/phone/etc then you have to take it.

If someone tries to give you gruff about it, just use it to buy snacks for the break room or something.
jeffatt

Mar 12, 2009, 5:48 PM
Sorry, this was supposed to be a reply to the original post
Sprintdaddy

Mar 12, 2009, 6:04 PM
I'm gonna tell you the same thing I tell all my women. "Just shut up and take it!"
WorldSoCold

Mar 13, 2009, 11:55 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... first person ive ever come across who admits to being a pimp, lmao!!!!
PhoneyName

Mar 12, 2009, 6:16 PM
If they offer me a tip, I'll say something along the lines of "Thanks, but that's not necessary." If they insist, I thank them and take it. Four out of five customers do insist. I was always taught to only turn down an offer of money once. 😉
smiliey

Mar 12, 2009, 7:41 PM
i agree 100%, and that is exactly what i do
computerking

Mar 13, 2009, 1:11 PM
🙂
juaaan.

Mar 12, 2009, 6:22 PM
take the money man. as long as no one sees you, youre in like a fin.
swiftone

Mar 12, 2009, 6:41 PM
we also have a policy of not accepting customer gifts, but I have accepted it from some as to not accept would be a insult.
Wish it would happen more often though
IrishCarBomb

Mar 12, 2009, 7:05 PM
I try my best to let the customer know that I don't expect any sort of tip from them for doing my job, but if the insist it is polite to accept the tip.

I have gotten several from customers for varying things, from helping a guy tether his Razr to helping old folk learn how to use their phones. I also offer all my contract customers a sit down with me where I will go over everything their phone can do, and will help them customize it and learn it. Mostly I do this in my store/ dining area at the grocery store my kiosk is located in, but on a couple occasions I have gone to the customers home. Both of those times they gave me a huge tip, and insisted on me taking it.
computerking

Mar 13, 2009, 1:08 PM
One of my good/close customers gave me a Christmas present both me and my son. Something small but still very appreciated.

Other tips:
Full Cheesecake
20oz Dr Pepper
Coffee(s)
StarBucks Gift Card
Grocery Store Gift Card

I've had a few cash tips but those I generally try to turn down unless they really insist.
ccareatatt

Mar 13, 2009, 8:38 PM
Call your manager. I am not sure what T-Mobile policy is but it is a Code of Business Violation with AT&T. We just had an Integrity Corner come out from Asset protection that had a similar situation....some customers are crazy in the head and change the story.. she could call in and say she paid you for your customer service and it can become misconstrued.. always cover your rear when it comes to that.
phoneguy45

Mar 23, 2009, 12:21 PM
run to catch her in the parking lot...and tell her i deserve 20 more 🤣 😎
jcoberg10

Mar 25, 2009, 9:48 PM
I've gotten a few cash tips in my time in sales, however one customer hagled with me for hours over phones and acc. pricing, saved about $35 overall and then when i explained that the discounts i was giving him on phones was coming out of my commission he gave me a $20 tip?@!?!? Now i appreaciate the tip but save us both the trouble and just pay regular price. instead of wasting hours of my time.
getsome

Mar 26, 2009, 9:27 AM
you should know tmo slave that you can accept "gifts/tips" up to 99.99. Anything over $100 will have to be Market Manager approved and reported to HR. Possibly taxed.

Read your book.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.