Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 56 replies

F QA!!

jreed3686

Feb 20, 2009, 10:20 AM
I just got a 'rep failure' for my 1st time in 14 months being here because i didnt show 'empathy' to a customer who wanted to cancel there service. Okay normally i would under certain circumstances.

But how exactly do you feel empathy for a customer who wants to cancel for no other reason but because the contract is up and has a work phone now and dosent use it.

How in the hell can i feel for that? Its not like i hate your service im cancelling or something.

Goodness...
ccareatatt

Feb 20, 2009, 11:40 AM
"I can definitely understand. I would do that too if my company would pay for me cell phone service." 😈
jreed3686

Feb 20, 2009, 11:53 AM
its ridiculous. i mean yeah that sounds right, what you said. However is it really needed? I mean my exact statement was "Okay, okay well i understand then and we can take care of that." is that not empathy? I mean i would take it as that but because i didnt say sorry or anything along those lines...i got shot down. Dang QA
KingTiger

Feb 20, 2009, 12:27 PM
Do you work in retention?
jreed3686

Feb 20, 2009, 12:52 PM
not at all, but i transfered to them.
KingTiger

Feb 20, 2009, 1:31 PM
Okay... so it's not really your job to save the customer... it's your job to find the need, empathize with it, and meet it... which you did.

Here's what I got from your call:

Need = I want to cancel
Empathy = I understand, let's get that taken care of for you.
Meet the Need = transferred the cust to retention

I don't see the problem?!
OfAMightDivine

Feb 20, 2009, 1:33 PM
No one expects you to understand anything.

I love how everyone feels "Screw it, it's not MY job."
jreed3686

Feb 20, 2009, 1:48 PM
not it at all, obviously your not comprehending. im told to listen to mycsp, do as it says. Exactly as i did. If i could save the customer or even attempt, i would have. But if i go against it, which i have, i would fail as well. such as

Customers credit card was stolen so i waived a late fee as a courtesy and showed empathy.

mycsp states to not credit any kind of late, upgrade, new activation fees unless there employer discount states to do so.

didnt fail the call but was 'coached' for doing so.
ccareatatt

Feb 20, 2009, 7:36 PM
Screw it.. they always say think outside of the box but then coach you for doing so. I dont care what QA thinks (who never take calls!), as long as the customer is happy and we continue to make money its all good in my eyes.
juaaan.

Feb 20, 2009, 8:30 PM
im completely new to all this, but it seems y'all are from at&t? ... me too! haha.
KingTiger

Feb 20, 2009, 2:54 PM
Lol, I never said that! When I worked in a retail store, I always, ALWAYS tried to save customers. As a phone rep, we are not supposed to try to save customers... but even still, as long as they're not screaming at me, I try to save them to a small degree. I try to determine what their issues are (i.e. billing, rate plan, or whatever) and then see if I can resolve them. If they don't want me to, or if they're still not happy, then I transfer them. There is a separate retention department, they're trained to handle these customers, they have special offers for them, so I let them do their job.
OfAMightDivine

Feb 20, 2009, 12:37 PM
Part of your job is to try and save a customer.

You could have done more. You could have offered an Assumption of Liability or account transferal, whatever your company calls it.

Maybe offered to keep the phone at a reduced price plan as a spare to keep in the car or just as a backup.

I know it sounds stupid, but it actually works.

I wouldn't expect you, as a rep, to understand things like how a business really works, but your QA person was right for failing you on that call. I would have, too since you didn't offer anything.

I'm sure you're just a fantastic rep though, with your Microsoft IT Training, and years in a top 10 College, right?
jreed3686

Feb 20, 2009, 12:52 PM
Actually im not in sales/retention or anything its called Business End User Care. I transfered to retention. They was on the lowest rate plan, no way to lower the bill. No way i could offer a phone without an upgrade and obviously that was out of the question. they no longer needed it due to getting a business phone.

but your right with my microsoft it training it sure does help in the cell world lol
OfAMightDivine

Feb 20, 2009, 1:05 PM
That doesn't matter. You still could have offered something.

You failed because you didn't.

I figured you'd be used to failures by now.
jreed3686

Feb 20, 2009, 1:11 PM
your right. im stuck talking to people like you. i should be used to failure.

Anyhow im under mycsp, which is our 'bible' for our job at att, am told to transfer to retention as soon as the word 'Cancel' is mentioned. So that is what i did.

'I understand that you want to cancel and id be glad to assist, but to do so i would have to get you over to our customer relations dept'

But because i didnt appologize for something, i failed.
OfAMightDivine

Feb 20, 2009, 1:32 PM
Yeah. You didn't do your job. So you failed.

Surprises there? No.
KingTiger

Feb 20, 2009, 1:33 PM
???? He did his job by transferring, and he shouldn't have to apologize for something that isn't his company's fault. That's not empathy, that's false guilt/blame.
OfAMightDivine

Feb 20, 2009, 1:36 PM
That doesn't matter if it's his company's fault, his fault, or your mothers fault.

He is paid to do a job. He admits he did not do it... where's the real surprise?

You're right. He shouldn't HAVE to. However, that's part of what his job expects him to do. I can tell you 50 things I shouldn't HAVE to do with my job position, but I do them anyways, because that's what I'm paid to do.

To recap this conversation, he's bent out of shape because he failed at preforming his job the way he's instructed and paid to do so... and he's upset that his job called him out on it.
jreed3686

Feb 20, 2009, 1:40 PM
Actually im paid to do as im trained and as 'mycsp' states and i did just that.
KingTiger

Feb 20, 2009, 4:51 PM
I don't know about his company, but here at Sprint they fail you for apologizing for something that's not your company's fault.
ccareatatt

Feb 20, 2009, 7:39 PM
Hence why the loss of customers. 😈
ac4321

Feb 20, 2009, 9:11 PM
KingTiger said:
???? He did his job by transferring, and he shouldn't have to apologize for something that isn't his company's fault. That's not empathy, that's false guilt/blame.

I agree. I don't do the whole bs "I'm sorry..blahblah blah" thing either. I'm not going to apologize unless it's something genuine. It's a business transaction, not a huggy feely session. If someone's business needs changed and they want to cancel then the way to show good service is to be efficient and precise in execution, not to treat it like a death or funeral.

I know as a customer I value companies that execute well in helping me. I don't want them to apologize unless they wronged me in some way. If they apologize f...
(continues)
Lateralus55

Feb 20, 2009, 1:12 PM
the ability to identify with and understand somebody else's feelings or difficulties. That's what the problem was. How else would you identify with a customer that is canceling because he is getting free service somewhere else. You can't feel bad for them.
OfAMightDivine

Feb 20, 2009, 1:27 PM
Empathy is not just about "feeling bad" for the customer. It is about putting yourself in their shoes and understanding.

But that doesn't mean not offering solutions isn't considered empathy.

Again, not something I expect a rep to understand.
Lateralus55

Feb 20, 2009, 1:44 PM
I understand. If I was getting free service. I would expect someone to be happy for me. But as a business you are not going to be happy about losing business.

The only better thing than free service is someone paying you to use their service. That is not very good business.
OfAMightDivine

Feb 20, 2009, 1:47 PM
Losing contract customer when you have options is bad for business. Account Liability Transfer, keep as a spare phone, new line for family member, give to your elderly parents as security, separate work vs. personal life.

It's all about positioning. If you create the want, the customer will create the need.

What's better for business? One line, or two? He didn't even try.

Don't ignore the question. Answer it before you spout off about you being right again.
jreed3686

Feb 20, 2009, 1:49 PM
Im not 'trained' to do that, thats why we have a retention dept. im doing as im 'told' and 'trained' so im doing my 'job' correct?
OfAMightDivine

Feb 20, 2009, 1:50 PM
OfAMightDivine said:
What's better for business? One line, or two? He didn't even try.

Don't ignore the question. Answer it before you spout off about you being right again.

You can't even do that...
jreed3686

Feb 20, 2009, 1:52 PM
your right two lines but exactly why would HE want to pay for a line that he wouldnt use? when he stated this?
OfAMightDivine

Feb 20, 2009, 1:53 PM
I don't care why HE would want to pay for another line. It's not your job to care. You didn't even try.

Again, if YOU do your job and create the want, then the customer will create the need.
jreed3686

Feb 20, 2009, 1:56 PM
lol again. try to accept that your wrong here.

I DID DO MY JOB.

I DID EXACTLY AS IM TRAINED TO DO.

I USED MYCSP.

I DID EXACTLY AS IT SAYS TO DO.

AGAIN YOUR WRONG, ACCEPT IT.

I DID FAIL, BUT EVEN MY SUPERVISOR IS GOING TO CONTEST IT.

BECAUSE I SHOULDNT HAD FAILED.

UNDERSTAND NOW?

AGAIN

YOUR WRONG

ACCEPT IT
OfAMightDivine

Feb 20, 2009, 1:59 PM
Is your job to show the customer empathy? Yes.

Did you do that? No.

Your supervisor is wasting their time, that is if you didn't make the whole story up like you do everything else.
jreed3686

Feb 20, 2009, 2:01 PM
lol okay. and i did show empathy. i told them i understand. which means i understood why and blah blah blah. empathy, understanding.
SonsOfAnarchy

Feb 20, 2009, 2:07 PM
here is the solution:

Break their jaw from your MMA training, then keep them in a choke hold until the police get there and say that they were trying to break in.
jreed3686

Feb 20, 2009, 2:38 PM
lol okay. sounds like a plan 😎

but the question is

are you next?
SonsOfAnarchy

Feb 20, 2009, 2:51 PM
jreed3686 said:
lol okay. sounds like a plan 😎

but the question is

are you next?

Hahaha internet threats? Wow u must be a real bad ass. I guess i should be scared 👀
jreed3686

Feb 20, 2009, 2:52 PM
it was a joke lmao

but oh yes im the baddest phonescoops ever seen 😎 🤣
SonsOfAnarchy

Feb 20, 2009, 2:53 PM
🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 😢
jreed3686

Feb 20, 2009, 2:54 PM
glad you can laugh with me now.
OfAMightDivine

Feb 20, 2009, 11:35 PM
I can guarantee he's not laughing "with" you.
jreed3686

Feb 21, 2009, 9:43 AM
At this point, i really dont care. To be honest you always have to try to have the last word, go ahead and reply so you can have the last word, m'kay?
Lateralus55

Feb 20, 2009, 2:06 PM
The responsibility to pay for a phone that you never use? To honor a contract for someone else?

There isn't. He doesn't need it and putting your name on a contract for someone else can cause problems. If the user did not pay the bill, then you would have to. The person that needs the phone should get their own contract.
SonsOfAnarchy

Feb 20, 2009, 1:23 PM
Re: Quick question about Windows XP
by captainplooky Oct 29, 2008, 5:15 PM

jreed3686 said:
in no way am i trying to do this illegal but why cant i put my xp license on more than one computer?

Actually, it is illegal.

The license you own is for one computer. You can not legally install the OS on multiple computers at the same time, and expect to them all activated.

If the license you own is OEM, that means you can install it only on one computer period - that's why it's cheaper. If the license you own is not OEM, then you can install it on another computer, if it is not already currently installed on another computer.

jreed3686 said:
i bought it cant i use it on everyone of my home computers?

That's exactly right...
(continues)
jreed3686

Feb 20, 2009, 1:39 PM
Okay well my thing was its been done before why cant i now? And im no professional i didnt even finish. So i dont point myself out to be great just what classes i was taking.

but diggin up some info on here, yall do some research dont you. lol anyhow yeah i asked that because i had done it before and called in and asked because it said my code had expired and didnt let me that particular time.

And like i said, i DIDNT FINISH my classes. So your right it didnt get me far, nor am i a professional.

Also if you want to talk about this how about we do it in a topic of its own? Its pretty rediculous how you talk about LOUNGE topics in a shoptalk thread eh? and everyone is always b*tching about how everyone posts in the wrong discussion ar...
(continues)
SonsOfAnarchy

jreed3686 said:

but your right with my microsoft it training it sure does help in the cell world lol
jreed3686

Feb 20, 2009, 1:50 PM
sarcasim
SonsOfAnarchy

Feb 20, 2009, 1:55 PM
or possibly you tell so many lies you start to believe them yourself 😲
jreed3686

Feb 20, 2009, 2:00 PM
lol to make you happy

sure!!
OfAMightDivine

That you were in a TOP TEN college... taking MICROSOFT Information Technology classes... and you didn't know that you can't put your XP License on more than one computer, and you got upset that they wouldn't give you a product key...

Sure thing pal. Sure thing.
VOICE OF REASON

Feb 20, 2009, 1:48 PM
You earned a promotion and now you feel empowered? Get a life... 🙄
OfAMightDivine

Feb 20, 2009, 1:49 PM
Let me guess... another rep.
Ghosthendrikson

Feb 20, 2009, 2:05 PM
OfAMightDivine said:
Let me guess... another rep.

And what exactly is it that you do, because it seems to have endowed you with an excessive sense of superiority.
VOICE OF REASON

Feb 20, 2009, 2:14 PM
OfAMightDivine said:
another rep.

🤣 🤣 Not quite pal....
jreed3686

Feb 20, 2009, 2:47 PM
it dosent matter if your the president he will do whatever he can to prove himself right and that your wrong lol
KingTiger

Feb 20, 2009, 5:06 PM
This whole conversation has become completely retarded. It started out with a rep just venting about a frustrating QA, and, unnecesarily, it turned into a heated, completely irrelevant argument.

Let's just stop now, before it gets worse.
jreed3686

Feb 20, 2009, 5:28 PM
i thought it was stopped?
longsleeves

Feb 20, 2009, 5:15 PM
Perhaps you should have shown some regret not necessarily empathy. Something like,"Mr Jones I am sorry to hear you will be canceling this line, we do hate to lose a valuable customer such as you is there perhaps someone in your family that might want to take over the line?"

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.