Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 7 replies

A ghost of shop talk past needs some input

nytshad

Feb 19, 2009, 7:24 PM
Wow, haven't been on here in a short forever. Well, in case phonescoop cleared out their archives and I no longer have legitimate proof that I was a tech, please let me assure you that for 2 years I was indeed a Solectron/Flextronics tech/trainer.

And if not for an unfortunately swimming accident, I would likely still be. Now I'm a GameStop geek instead.

Having said that, I'd like a little input from the more competant techs out there. Preferably the ones who actually know what a PRL is (not what it stands for, what it actually IS).

My hubby and I are forced to get new phones, as our 3 year old V360s are in their deathrows. We are considering either the Sam T819 or the Nokia 5310. I've read the reviews and they are less than pr...
(continues)
IrishCarBomb

Feb 19, 2009, 7:45 PM
Samsung does a great job on their sliders, I had a d600 for a year and a half before I gave it to my brother, who has been using it for the past 6 months. So that is about 2 years of usage, and it is still going strong and feels almost as solid as the day I got it new. Of course, the d600 isn't a t819, but from my experience(I have helped about 10 friends get Samsung sliders, mostly the u600) other Samsung sliders have the same quality slider mechanism.

Nokia candy bar phones are always a durable product, and I would bet that if treated properly you can get 3 years of use out of it no problem. I do maybe 1 warranty claim for every 100 Nokia's sold, if not better rates then that. Personally, I am a big fan of Nokia when it comes to qua...
(continues)
ikon

Feb 19, 2009, 8:32 PM
nytshad said:
are either of these two phones solid equipment that'll last me another 3 years or am I just pissing in the wind?

That depends how badly you want to protect them (ie extended warranties or insurance). You are gambling with the lifehood of each device like you do when you buy a computer or a camera or a video game system. Will it last 6 months? 6 years? I don't know. Nobody knows. It has nothing to do with being a hardcore nerdx0r, it's utterly a gamble. Also take into account you may lose it or drop it in water or run over it with your car or a chimpanzee will chew on it. People have strange reasons.
KingTiger

Feb 20, 2009, 12:30 PM
ikon said:a chimpanzee will chew on itblockquote>

Please tell me you haven't actually had that happen??
nytshad

Feb 20, 2009, 1:16 PM
Ooh eee ooh ah ah ching chang walla walla bing bang?
KingTiger

Feb 20, 2009, 12:30 PM
ikon said:
a chimpanzee will chew on it

Please tell me you haven't actually had that happen??
ikon

Feb 20, 2009, 2:43 PM
No but I've heard about dogs doing all sorts of things to phones. I just had chimpanzees on my mind after seeing that new york post depiction of barack obama. Haha..he got pwned.
nytshad

Feb 20, 2009, 1:14 PM
Thanks very much for the info friends. I'm generally very kind to my phone (I still have a working series 1 N-Gage - FEAR THE PLASTIC TACO!). My hubby notsomuch, but not for lack of trying. As a rule I'm a fan of Nokia because when I was a tech I rarely saw those in for, say, random power down, random screen freeze, basically all the stuff my v360 is doing now.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.