Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 13 replies

So..

Em3rnce

Feb 16, 2009, 6:47 PM
Were getting our store remodeled this week, which is AWESOME, being as how ghetto it looks right now. But I'm pretty pissed because of the way the week has to flow as a result of being remodeled..

Yeah its going to be nice to have extra time off, but on Wednesday I have to work at a sister store, so basically I'm going to be making them money and nothing for myself. Getting the guaranteed pay this week as well, being as how were not going to be making any commission at all in our store, so another downer. And on Thursday, I'm basically on call as of when I need to come in after the remodel folks are done, to clean up the mess (drywall dust, anyone?).

So, my big question is, should I really honestly work hard at getting sales while I'm ...
(continues)
Menno

Feb 16, 2009, 8:09 PM
How well do you know the sister store? When it comes time for them to remodel, or when you need someone to cover a shift at your store, would you want them to try and make money there?

Also, remember that if the employees there feel you arn't performing as a member of their team should they can report you to your regional and even if you hear nothing about it then, this can come back in influence whether you get promoted, or how he'll work out arrangements for when your store needs help.
devilsmafia

Feb 17, 2009, 2:15 PM
Maybe if you do a good job for em and make some friends there they will be willing to spiff you some of thier commission. I'd try to work out a deal with em like that. If they say no, then dont even bother going out of your way to exceptional.
dualitycomplex

Feb 17, 2009, 5:55 PM
help your companies stores out we send sales back and forth between the stores we have out here knowing karma can be a good thing and it has paid off nicely in the past.
jeffatt

Feb 18, 2009, 11:12 AM
I don't get it. If YOU sell it, how do YOU not get commission for it?
Menno

Feb 18, 2009, 11:26 AM
The commission is based on store commission instead of individual commission. For most things, this is generally a good thing, because it keeps people from passing off bill pays and upgrades to "the new guy/gal" and keeping all the high profit stuff for themselves. Individual sales are still tracked and if you are falling behind you can still be called out for it.
..Mackenzie..

Feb 18, 2009, 12:37 PM
I don't think I'd like working on store comission instead of individual. It sucks sometimes that all you seem to get is bill payments while the other person keeps getting all the people who want to resign or start new. But it's the luck of the drawl.
Menno

Feb 18, 2009, 2:10 PM
It does suck sometimes, but it also makes us worry less about missing sales on our days off that we might have set up the day before.

We also make a really decent amount on re-ups compared to other retailers and especially corporate.
jwonchalk

Feb 18, 2009, 2:37 PM
The upside of store comission is you make money on your days off as well as when someone lands a dadta plan and when you get that blackberry lay down if you have a good team its the best way about it
devilsmafia

Feb 19, 2009, 9:29 AM
No more cut throat business. You dont have to worry about anyone stealing your sales. You're getting payed on your days off and If you've got a great team you're gonna make just as much money if not more than individual commission.
jeffatt

Feb 21, 2009, 11:09 AM
I don't think I could do that. My numbers are consistently around the top 3-4 in the company (usually anywhere from 25-30 salespeople across 9 stores), and that would kill me to know that me & Joe Blow are getting paid the same even though I sell twice as much.

I see the positives regarding that method eliminating cut-throat tactics, but it also takes out individual accountability. If I sell nothing but Blackberrys & PDAs w/data, I should get paid more than Joe Blow who sells nothing but bottom-end Nokias (I'll admit, I exaggerated a bit to get my point across 😉 ). It's too much like being on hourly with bonuses for certain activation levels.
wizardofCroz

Feb 21, 2009, 11:40 AM
This is true, however there are upsides and downsides for both arguments. A lot of the sales are just luck of the draw. If i'm helping someone pay their bill and someone walks in and says, "hey I need to add 3 lines, we all need blackberries, unlimited msg...etc", that's not selling blackberry, its being at the right place at the right time. Sure I could try and sell mr. "I realize what *PAY means, but I just want to come in the store to pay a bill" a car charger or check usage to get a feature, but its few and far between. I always feel bad for my co-workers who get the "whatever's free" people walk in while i'm doing a multi line activation. I wish I could share, and most of the time I wish we could divide the store commission between the ...
(continues)
jeffatt

Feb 21, 2009, 6:32 PM
wizardofCroz said:
A lot of the sales are just luck of the draw. If i'm helping someone pay their bill and someone walks in and says, "hey I need to add 3 lines, we all need blackberries, unlimited msg...etc", that's not selling blackberry, its being at the right place at the right time.

I understand. Although, this is where the good ones separate themselves with the ability to upsell even those customers. That is when you start talking about tethering, GPS, etc and pushing the high-end accessories. That rewards the better salespeople for being better salespeople.

A lot of what we do IS left up to chance, but those that are a step above will put up the better numbers & do it with consistency. I jus...
(continues)
genii

Feb 21, 2009, 3:17 PM
I realize that its already finished...
But when this happened to me, I took a stack of my business cards with me and gave them to the customers that I helped. I didnt say anything like "You need to come to my other location" I just mentioned how I was covering for someone here and normally work at my store

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.