Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 35 replies

Verizon starts lay offs

Verizon SUX

Feb 11, 2009, 4:28 PM
😕 Verizon wireless started company lay offs of long time employees this week. This after spending tens of thousands of dollars for an employee kick off meeting where Altel employees joined Verizon employees for an annual employee celebration for the upcoming year. What a joke... Verizon has invited their store managers across the country to a luxurious hotel next week on the company, paid mileage, and travel as well as hotel and meals. Verizon also claims to be Working Mothers Magazine's top 10 places to work, yea conveniently they have never ever called me to ask how they make me feel.

What hurts more is Verizon wireless promised us jobs even after Circuit City reported to be closing all locations and told employees business as usual. W...
(continues)
WZ_agent

Feb 11, 2009, 4:33 PM
this runs counter to everything i know about Verizon Wireless as a company. Maybe you should be talking to Circuit City about poor business practices like "padding the books". Sorry you had a bad experience, but this seems a little like petty revenge posting. honestly, good luck finding a job, i wish you the best.
Verizon SUX

Feb 11, 2009, 4:39 PM
Yes I'm a little upset, and after 7 years with VERIZON WIRELESS as a VERIZON WIRELESS Employee I never saw this coming.

I can only hope that noone else looses their jobs but as an employee with never having had any type of repramnad I never expected it.

Just know its coming.
WZ_agent

Feb 11, 2009, 4:45 PM
Circuit City closed its doors. We bought another big company at the same time. like i said, im sorry youre out of a job, but there just might be too many VZW reps for the area. if you were promised a job, then you need to take that up with management, but if the jobs arent there, they arent there.

That said, take your experience and find another position. as for disconnecting your lines, if Verizon isnt the company youd use for your cell phones, why would you sell for them? with 7 years of experience, you should be able to find something.

good luck
Verizon SUX

Feb 11, 2009, 4:53 PM
Good point but like I said I'm real miffed right now. Verizon knew Circuit City was closing, and knew that this was their intent. Why did they tell us we were going to stores then "change" their minds? Had they told me two weeks ago when I had an offer I would not be at work freaking out trying to figure out health care for my special needs child. Oh and Verizon had sales reps in training thru January... Why would they back fill positons for managers, reps unless this was their ultimate goal? Makes no sense at all.
WZ_agent

Feb 11, 2009, 5:03 PM
Might be a question for your big box managers. Seems like communication broke down somewhere. I'm just worried you might be putting blame on the company when certain parties might have just been trying to keep reps happily working up until close of CC
Verizon SUX

Feb 11, 2009, 5:12 PM
thats the bad part. We were told over and over Verizon would guarantee our jobs, many of us work both at kiosk and direct stores. How do they not only terminate CC kiosk employees but after doing this they tell the remaining reps to "do their job" and they have nothing to worry about... Hello? How do they keep employees that have not yet completed their 90 days employees clearly with attendance and performance issues and let those of us that do what we are supposed to, are at work rain or snow sick or healthy etc go? Seems like bad business to me but your right they were trying to appease us to get the stores packed up and moved then they planned to call is in on our day off and do this... What ever I'm better off with out them.

Regarding...
(continues)
WZ_agent

Feb 11, 2009, 5:27 PM
I can see your side. Its harder when youre full time with a family to take care of. ☚ī¸

Verizon does do screenings, so i wont comment on how that rep got through. However, i know we use the same system 60% of all businesses go through and have one of the most rigorous in the industry.

as for giving your money to a company that would employ him? all companies have convicts working for them. Circumstances may have let him off the hook for a check. Sounds like hes a great guy otherwise (sarcasm). Honestly, youd be hard pressed to find any company that doesnt have an excon working for them.

sad but true
Menno

Feb 14, 2009, 10:46 AM
Considering there are how many people incarcerated for Drugs, finding a company without an excon working for them would be the exception.
WZ_agent

Feb 14, 2009, 10:48 AM
this might be the main problem anyway 🙄
texaswireless

Feb 11, 2009, 5:42 PM
In the Dallas Ft. Worth area by chance?
Verizon SUX

Feb 11, 2009, 6:15 PM
Well nice thing about Verizon is the standard answer is "thats confidential and proprietary information". No I'm not in Dallas ft. Worth Area but wouldn't surprise me in the least. Our kiosk was scheduled to operate thru Sunday move on Monday.

There is no rhyme or reason as they even did this to sales reps in corporate owned stores as well. Our district lost all female managers and two female sales reps.
OfAMightDivine

Feb 11, 2009, 11:56 PM
Never trust a company to do what's best for you. Always trust a company to do what's best for them.

Always.

No matter what.
Verizon SUX

Feb 12, 2009, 5:09 PM
Yep lesson learned. BUT I have been deceived by Verizon for the last time! Employee đŸ‘ŋ reduction go hose someone else conveniently the reduction in our district was ALL WOMEN. Wonder what working mothers magazine will think of that....
jeffatt

Feb 12, 2009, 5:17 PM
If they really guaranteed you your jobs, it should have been in writing in some form. If they did and you're still getting laid off, you definitely have an opportunity to purse some form of legal recourse.

Again, without knowing all the details of your situation or being an expert in the legal field, take this with a grain of salt, but know that it is something you should pursue if what you say is true.
kapwww

Feb 13, 2009, 12:35 AM
I obviously see how bitter you are and as a result you are looking for anything you can find to turn into something to complain about. As far as Verizon asking you to call their existing customers to offer data...that doesn't mean they are selling customer info. If a customer gets a call on their cell phone where they are being asked to buy auto insurance because the auto insurance customer bought a customer list from VZW, THAT would fit your claim. Calling your own customers is just smart. Oh...and before you call me a fanboy or anything, I don't work for VZW. I do sell it at indirect, but they don't sign my paycheck and I generally think they are a bunch of bastards, which is why I stay indirect.
Verizon SUX

Feb 13, 2009, 10:59 AM
Obviously you have not had to make calls! Actually when you go into a corporate store the first question you are asked in "where do you work?" Why do you suppose this is? They take this information and put into a data base so employees can turn around and cold call businesses. Sales reps are no longer allowed to offer "discounts" to customers but still ask... Why do YOU think this is the case. The information is then entered into the computer Verizon has an entire department whose job it is to go thru these accounts and pull the information.

Honestly I was real angry about the whole thing when it occurred but I have had alot of time to think about it since original post.

Verizon is not worth me being upset anymore. They deffinately are...
(continues)
llama

Feb 13, 2009, 11:36 AM
Verizon SUX said:
Verizon is not worth me being upset anymore.

All your rants have been because you're pissed at VZW.

Good that you found a job.
dnbstyle29

Feb 13, 2009, 11:45 AM
Yeah, because if he/she didn't we'd still be hearing about it! đŸ¤Ŗ
Behold_A_Pale_Horse

Feb 14, 2009, 1:21 PM
Wait, wait... I thought you said you worked for Verizon Wireless?

If so how could you possibly not know that the company STILL DOES offer discounts to employees of many different companies? Including free air cards! In many cases 25% off accessories. $49.99 for the two push-to-talk phones.

Data base for cold calling businesses? What? These employees get discounts because their company ALREADY uses VZW.
IrishCarBomb

Feb 13, 2009, 11:50 AM
I don't follow... how does this equal Verizon starting layoffs? What did you get fired for? Since you said they gave you new locations, managers, and even scheduled you... then all of a sudden you are fired? What were you fired for? I doubt Verizon would go through all those hoops just to mislead you, and then fire you as some sick joke.
Verizon SUX

Feb 13, 2009, 2:58 PM
Ok, so I was not fired as of right now I'm actually still employed with Verzion. I was called into the corporate office last week and advised that I was being let go as part of an employee reduction caused by the recession. I still have access to all Verizon systems, as well has still have my company laptop and concession phone. Our district manager stated I was not the only one and after the fact I was advised there were 5 women let go. two of us reported directly to the district manager.

The post was done to advise Verizon employees that the company is laying people off and specifically if they are in a Circuit City location and have an alternate offer to take it.

No I did not get the information in writting nor did the other 200 o...
(continues)
llama

Feb 13, 2009, 3:32 PM
an under-performing outside B2B rep.

Plus, you've broken your promise about the sexual harassment thing...

You have no credibility.
Verizon SUX

Feb 13, 2009, 3:46 PM
whatever, I haven't broken anything becasue I haven't signed anything, haven't promissed oh and I'm not making a profit...Besides who the hell are you to tell me I have no credibility? Are you a Verizon wireless empolyee? If so just wait jerk off cuz its happening and while in your little fantasy you think Verizon is the best they are absolutely no different then T-mobile, Sprint or AT&T. They use you then discard you. you might luck out and miss this round or even the next but know you are guaranteed nothing and even if you have been around since the beginning this company doesn't care.
llama

Feb 13, 2009, 3:48 PM
you've et your job define who and what you are.

And I am the Llama. That's who I am.

And I consistantly hit my numbers.
dnbstyle29

Feb 13, 2009, 6:12 PM
People lose their jobs every day.
I lost my job of 3+ years back in November,
got laid off. So I got a new one.
Sucks, but I didn't waste my time complaining on an internet board on and on and on about it.
Neither should you. 😉

Yeah, companies can screw you over, but these days its a fact of life. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if where I'm at decides to let go of me tomorrow. Move along, that's what I do/did.
Verizon SUX

Feb 13, 2009, 3:50 PM
oh yea one last thing.... I performed at 277% to goal... any clue? I was recognized for superior audits and have been to presidents cabinet 3 years in a row. I took an underperforming store from -78% to 15% yoy. does that sound to you like an underperforming B2B rep?

Get a clue...
MrGoofball

Feb 13, 2009, 3:53 PM
So you've been there 7 years. Did you not read the crap on the front page of this site and others saying mostly focusing on higher paid senior reps????? Go whine to Oprah
llama

Feb 13, 2009, 5:47 PM
whining yet?
Verizon SUX

Feb 13, 2009, 5:53 PM
I'm done with all I'm sorry you interpreted it as whining when really that wasn't the intent.

I was again upset when this all went down but honestly your right I let my job take over who I was. Its over and its OK...

Best thing for me to do is to go on my own merry way and live happily ever after...I'm an employee for another month or so, and I have learned a valued lesson, trust no one, believe no one. I will return all my company owned stuff Monday and let it go.
llama

Feb 13, 2009, 5:54 PM
I didn't see any of those numbers on the President's Cabinet list...
Verizon SUX

Feb 13, 2009, 5:59 PM
Whatever.... did I say this year? Ah NOOO.... I'm done responding as I'm done with all of this. I don't need to defend myself and honestly if you work for Verizon know these layoffs are happening which was the reason for the initial post. I did nothing to cause it, I was trying to make people like you aware so you were not blind sided... Done
llama

Feb 13, 2009, 6:00 PM
you were let go because of your vagina...
MrGoofball

Feb 13, 2009, 6:16 PM
We knew they were happening hence the news on the front page of this site a couple days before you came storming in here being a raging drama queen.
losoyo

Feb 14, 2009, 7:43 AM
llama said:
you were let go because of your vagina...

This is why I log onto phonescoop when I am forced to wake up this early i the morning.. Ahh... The little things.

But seriously, I agree about the Whining.
taoareyou

Feb 14, 2009, 10:16 AM
Therefore the Master
acts without doing anything
and teaches without saying anything.
Things arise and she lets them come;
things disappear and she lets them go.
She has but doesn't possess,
acts but doesn't expect.
When her work is done, she forgets it.

- from the Daodejing

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.