Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 28 replies

Activation Fee's

smiliey

Jan 30, 2009, 8:17 PM
What are your best found ways of explaining activation fees?

Because even though I have the ability, I refuse to waive, or credit, activation fees for the reason that I refuse to get discounts, "I pay cash, we make deal?" No. Some people are great at giving me a really hard time and backing me into a corner to the point where the manager has to get involved, at which point it is waived.

How do I shut these people down quick and easy?

Thanks
T-Monster

Jan 30, 2009, 8:47 PM
I usually try explaining that "activation fees are the moneys used to pay the amazing customer service that you experience and to build the towers that give you the great reception you depend on. Not wanting to pay these one time fees is hurting you more than it's hurting me."

if that doesn't work, I always try the "it's standard. I don't put it on there, the company does. The millions of people who have cell phones in america paid it, so what makes you any better?"

Or mind-screw them with "it's an activation fee. No fee, no activation. You want activation? Good. Then you want fee."

I'm usually better with accessories or features. Activation fees are a pain, but they're pretty easy unless your dealing with "THOSE" customers, and I t...
(continues)
uscellagent22

Jan 31, 2009, 3:43 AM
I just tell them I have no way of waiving, crediting or anything.

IT IS STANDARD and if anyone tries to tell you different show them terms and conditions
Dnbstyle

Jan 31, 2009, 10:52 AM
YOU BE HERE 4 HOUR! YOU GO NOW!
๐Ÿคฃ
arsimckhoi

Jan 31, 2009, 11:09 AM
why you no eat vegetable?
BigShowJB

Feb 2, 2009, 2:48 PM
All you can eat buffet for $1.99? oh yeah, I'm gonna win that bet every time!
llama

Jan 30, 2009, 9:21 PM
I tell them it helps pay for me. I don't do volunteer work.
Decept.ICON

Jan 31, 2009, 9:51 AM
There is always a price for a service rendered. Think about utilities... Gas? Deposit... Lights? Deposit... Cable? Install fee.. It's customary from Carrier to carrier and business to business...
WZ_agent

Jan 31, 2009, 11:34 AM
I tell them to think of us as a utility company. I group us and them together "Oh yeah, we all have an activation fee: Verizon, the gas company, the water company..."

normally that does the trick. I also try using the "youre cheap if you cant pay a $35 fee" trick.
llama

Jan 31, 2009, 11:36 AM
it shouldn't be look upon as a trick...hell, aren't you worth $35?

That's my take.
WZ_agent

Jan 31, 2009, 11:41 AM
my service is well worth pennies! ๐Ÿ˜ˆ
Decept.ICON

Jan 31, 2009, 11:41 AM
I simply tell them it's an activation fee. It's pretty self explanatory. A fee for activation of service... I don't get paid on the 36 some odd dollars... Plus you don't have to pay it until the bill posts with my company anwyay.. ๐Ÿ™„
WZ_agent

Jan 31, 2009, 11:43 AM
ok..maybe i misspoke. i said trick when i meant it as "tactic" or "best practice"
Decept.ICON

Jan 31, 2009, 11:44 AM
tomatoe... ๐Ÿคจ
gettinout

Feb 3, 2009, 12:37 PM
I've never paid a deposit for utilities. Maybe it's a hippie PDX thing, or a good credit thing. I don't know. Just tell the customers the truth it's an FDC rule-every carrier has it.
devilsmafia

Jan 31, 2009, 10:45 AM
I can only remember once or maybe twice, losing a sale because of activation fees. Other than those times I've never had an issue with that. In my opinion, I think most customers already expect it. Those that don't and ask about them, I just try to minimize the conversation about them as much as possible and bring up something else such as a feature or a plan option. Just something to take thier mind off the fees. I'm pretty good at diverting a customers attention from one thing to another. In most cases, if the customer doesnt ask about activation fees early in the sale, I wont even mention them until later after the activation when i'm reviewing thier contract with them and explaining to them about the charges that will be on thier first b...
(continues)
smiliey

Jan 31, 2009, 6:02 PM
what do you do tho when they are like, "oh last time i was here i didnt pay an activation fee"

or

"i dont pay activation fees, you can waive that"
burntbridges

Jan 31, 2009, 6:08 PM
i tell 'em they are lying ๐Ÿ˜› jk ๐Ÿ™‚
smiliey

Jan 31, 2009, 6:12 PM
lol
dualitycomplex

Jan 31, 2009, 6:24 PM
you can try this but you have to really read into the situation before doing it and it might cost you a sale but has worked for me in the past regardless of it being an activation fee or the cost of a phone ect and so forth, simply walk away from your customer and start to do something else. when they say something come back with the "i thought you didnt want to do this since you put up so many objections" its hit or miss and i only suggest it on the really annoying customers if you sell them great if not they werent worth your time to begin with.
purplelotus

Feb 1, 2009, 8:16 PM
Risky, but I liiiike. LOL. ๐Ÿ˜ˆ
taoareyou

Feb 2, 2009, 5:49 PM
If you like risky you can also try staring at them silently for a few minutes. In your head think really hard at them "you want to pay the activation fee" over and over. If you need to wave your hand at them in a sorta mystical fashion to add a little to the effect, you can, but only use your right hand.

If it works, awesome. If it doesn't at least you have a fun "failed Jedi mind trick" experience to share with future customers. ๐Ÿคฃ
gettinout

Feb 3, 2009, 12:41 PM
I would do that regardless of how the sale was going. Let's be realistic, NO cell company really pays their reps enough to give a real ****ous! I know if someone isn't listening or wants to argue I won't help them. It hurts the company more then me, and they don't ever help me. ๐Ÿคฃ
OfAMightDivine

Jan 31, 2009, 6:35 PM
smiliey said:
what do you do tho when they are like, "oh last time i was here i didnt pay an activation fee"

or

"i dont pay activation fees, you can waive that"

You can say :

"Ok, then. I'll need to put those phones back. Was there anything else I can help you with today?"

Then just smile at them.

People like that aren't worth your time and effort.
purplelotus

Feb 1, 2009, 8:25 PM
HAHA. If my manager was allowed, he'd probably smack us up the side of our heads if we did stuff like that...

Customers aren't allowed to walk for such asinine reasons as an activation fee.

I think you just have to get creative, but there's really no reason to give a customer the idea you don't want their business...

...Even if they ARE stupid and have entitlement syndrome.
gettinout

Feb 3, 2009, 12:46 PM
Purplelotus...a word of wisdom. The company you work for doesn't give a jack about you or how well you sell or what excellent service you give. I went through three years of excellent lies coming my way. And then I realized every market is over saturated and the failing economy is not helping at all!!! My suggestion to you, don't let customers run your career and on that note, get out, get out as soon as you can. Took me six months to find something that will help develop a real career for myself and pay me for what I do for them!!
taoareyou

Feb 2, 2009, 9:55 AM
I don't have the ability to directly waive a fee. I tell people the activation fee is related to assigning them a number, either from our pool or porting a number. Whenever someone gets a number change it's the same cost as the activation fee.

I don't really run across problems with people disputing the fees after I give a tangible reason. To say "they are standard" is about as useful as saying "just cuz".

On the rare occasion that someone demands the fee be waived, I will call customer service while the customer is there and ask them if they will waive the fee. After all it's a charge made by the parent company, it's their call on whether or not they will waive it. Also, it shows the customer I am willing to help and if it cannot...
(continues)
sweetcherrygurl

Feb 2, 2009, 1:50 PM
taoareyou said:
Do they want to stay here and just finish the business and get the phone or do they want to write off all the time they just spent, go find another store and go through the entire process again with the hopes that the next time they can manage to get the fee waived?

Many people who think they are so special that they "never" pay fees, also place a high value on their time and opt to not waste any more of it.

except for the idiots who just want to whine about how they have a divine right to get everything for free cuz theyre "so awesome"... even though theyre stupid, conceited, and like to waste YOUR time.

there's always a few....
smiliey

Feb 2, 2009, 5:59 PM
exactlyyy

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.