Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 20 replies

This is retarded...

purplelotus

Jan 29, 2009, 10:39 PM
That M520 web special is really killing my in-store sales opps.

We can't discosunt upgrades the same way we can discount activations because they aren't worth as much GP.

The Samsung M520 is going for 19.99 on the Sprint website because of an 80.00 web special discount!

Since I can't discount it (on upgrades) and some customers don't want the crappy "penny phone" but also don't want to spend more than 50.00 in store, how have you guys been talking customers into purchasing from the store instead?

๐Ÿ‘ฟ
OfAMightDivine

Jan 30, 2009, 12:17 AM
That's call business.

Adapt or fail.
teddybearmafia

Jan 30, 2009, 12:50 AM
I too work for said company and where i work we cannot give out webspecials and have to send customers phones.It screws agent out of bonus because we are encouraged to sell products yet are denied full ability to do so.Luckily I dont have to worry too hard about commission.
OfAMightDivine

Jan 30, 2009, 1:14 AM
It's BUSINESS.

It's not personal, no one is out to get you.

Business these days is all about the top dollar, and who is willing to spend the most to get it. It's very cut-throat. Everything is an expense.

They push the website because it's WAY cheaper for them to issue service to a customer than it is to go through you. There's no Sales rep to pay. They're no manager to pay. There's no electric bills, no rent or mortgage to pay. No live demos, stolen merchandise, insurance costs, or

Yes, I know running a website is expensive, however, the bottom line is it takes a lot less to run the site than it does a few stores.

They found a way to undercut you, and gain a profit. It's all about the money. Do you think they really c...
(continues)
OfAMightDivine

Jan 30, 2009, 1:15 AM
Yeah, I know, the last part of that sentence got deleted somehow.
Menno

Jan 30, 2009, 9:47 AM
Here is the issue though:

Customers are going online to order their phones, but they are coming to stores to find out about their options and then coming back after they receive the phones to waste more of the salespersons time to teach them about it.

Until a salesperson can refuse service to someone who did not purchase the phone in their store, or at least have some way to charge for said service, "personal experience" is not competitive because customers are receiving that whether they purchase the phone in the store or online.

You can get return customers, and you can get referrals, but the fact remains that most customers don't see an issue with ordering something online and then bringing it to the store for you to help them, b...
(continues)
OfAMightDivine

Jan 30, 2009, 12:06 PM
OfAMightDivine said:
It's BUSINESS.

It's not personal, no one is out to get you.

Business these days is all about the top dollar, and who is willing to spend the most to get it. It's very cut-throat. Everything is an expense.

Adapt or fail.
KingTiger

Jan 30, 2009, 5:19 PM
OfAMightDivine said:
Adapt or fail.

And how exactly do you suggest we do that? I no longer work at a retail store, but I stayed there long enough to understand these guys' frustration. You already suggested that we adapt by giving "personal assistance," and I for one can vouch that it doesn't completely solve the issue. Yes, it worked for me a lot of the times, but not even a majority of the time, and only if I ABSOLUTELY KILLED MYSELF trying to help people.

Granted, I'm sure there's other ways to adapt and get your sales, but you really haven't given us any other than "personal assistance."
wizardofCroz

Jan 30, 2009, 12:43 PM
It works both ways though. I completely agree on the basis of refusing service if the phone was bought online, especially when something is wrong with the phone. I've also had people just use online as a way of getting a deal. I can price match any online price from our ATT website, if the paramaters do not exceed anything like "package deals" or "feature adds" because then if the feature is removed, they are subject to full price of the phone.

I will not, however, entertain any customer who decides to go to wal mart or wirefly, and i make sure to tell them that if there is any problem with that phone, be sure to take it up with wal mart or wirefly.
sweetcherrygurl

Jan 30, 2009, 1:59 PM
what it comes down to, really, is that a lot of people take advantage.

it makes me really mad when they do that.

one time i had a customer come in and want to see the Dare. i was talking to him about it, and a line was starting to stack up (i was working by myself) and he's asking about all the features, what it does, etc, etc, etc. for FORTY FIVE MINUTES.

THEN he tells me, "thanks, i already bought it online but it doesn't get here till tomorrow, i wanted to see it in person."

W T F???!?!? ๐Ÿ˜ณ

how's that for taking advantage?

i had people waiting patiently, or potential sales just plain LEAVING, and he still wasted almost an hour of my time.

that's pretty much the closest i've ever come to smacking a customer.... ๐Ÿคจ
Decept.ICON

Jan 31, 2009, 10:02 AM
When you don't qualify your guests properly. If you had you would've know within the first 5 minutes what he was there for... ๐Ÿ™„
wizardofCroz

Jan 31, 2009, 10:08 AM
True, but as hourly employees, we aren't allowed to just ask, ๐Ÿ‘€ "so do you plan on buying this? or are you just wasting my time,because we have a lot of people waiting who might want to give me some money."

Oh how i wish it would work like that
Decept.ICON

Jan 31, 2009, 10:09 AM
๐Ÿ™„ Have you ever heard of the word tact????
wizardofCroz

Jan 31, 2009, 10:13 AM
๐Ÿ™„
Decept.ICON

Jan 31, 2009, 10:13 AM
ME: Good afternoon Mr. Customer My name is.... you are?
Cust: Good after noon I'm....
Me: It's nice to meet you! What brings you by today???
Cust: I'm interested in looking @ the dare...
ME: Awesome phone choice. Are you considering upgrading your phone in the near future?
Cust: Actually I purchased it last night online I wanted to see it in person...

๐Ÿ˜ฒ Not hard DOOD!
wizardofCroz

Jan 31, 2009, 10:31 AM
interesting, i've never thought of asking those questions.

But why would you assume the custy was a verizon customer? Shouldn't you first ask..."Do you currently have service with Verizon?"
Decept.ICON

Jan 31, 2009, 10:34 AM
Was the key phrase there skippy..
wizardofCroz

Jan 31, 2009, 10:43 AM
๐Ÿคฃ whatever helps ya sleep at night
purplelotus

Jan 30, 2009, 5:52 PM
๐Ÿ™„

I know it is... I was just expressing some anger!

And I'm stupid because I can just ship directly from Sprint's warehouse and it matches their webspecial prices in our system.

So I guess what's really retarded is that I didn't think about it to begin with. My excuse is.... Pregnancy and absent-mindedness go hand in hand. ๐Ÿคฃ
Decept.ICON

Jan 31, 2009, 10:00 AM
It's not about the wam bam thank you ma'am bs... Your customers should have a reason for buying from you through the rapport you've built. If they like you and you offer great assistance they'll buy from you. There's alot to be said about Better Business Relations... Learn how to be a Salesperson not an order taker... ๐Ÿ™„

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.