Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 14 replies

Not allowed to txt message while on the clock

vzwilman

Dec 22, 2008, 5:34 PM
I could see if we were a busy chain like walmart or maybe even a regualar retailer. My bosses just sent down an email saying no personal phone calls or txt messaging while on the clock. It not like we are ignoring the customers when they come in. If they ever come in? Is this a standerd thing or is it just them over reacting.
custservguru

Dec 22, 2008, 6:05 PM
well even when we have down time on the phones, and customers cant see what we are doing, we are not allowed to use our phones at all. if we do, we could be fired.

and although you yourself say you wont be using your phone when you have customers, i have a verizon phone and every time that i have been in the store, being waited on, the rep was either texting or talking to someone on thier phone. That's annoying when you have already been waiting forever to be helped and they cant leave thier phone alone long enough to take care of me. so i completely understand the rule.
j-villa

Dec 22, 2008, 6:15 PM
i'm allowed to do whatever on my phone. Just as long as my numbers are up, helping customers, etc etc. Now if i just sat here all the time like a guy that we used to have. I'm sure they'd say something then, or get more serious about it.
liquidfire

Dec 22, 2008, 7:13 PM
🤣
yea both cell jobs i've had we were allowed to use our phones as long as it wasnt getting in the way of our sales and CS.

i think that its a good thing for cell salesmen to use their phones when cust can see....to a point.

if i have the latest and greatest phone and im playing with it, someone can walk by and see it and then want to play with it, then maybe buy one. but if my phone has to stay hidden, that wont happen. it also is nice to have the employees using the product they sell.
IrishCarBomb

Dec 22, 2008, 6:18 PM
I am encouraged to use my cell phone while at work, as long as it is a company offered phone.

They actually gave every sales associate a BB, and we have to use those while on the clock, to show off the product and what not.
custservguru

Dec 22, 2008, 6:34 PM
Not that I mind if a rep is using thier phone to show me something, but c'mon.. Your friends can wait. There is no reason I should have to wait on you to text your friend about something non work related.Showing off your phone would require showing the customer what you are doing, which is not what I have experienced. Now, if I ask you about a feature on the phone, ok, show me. That should be the only reason someone is playing with thier phone while working, especially when you're waiting on a customer. If there's down time and no customers, and nothing else needs done, then I don't see the problem, but when reps get that much freedom, they do start using thier phones while assisting customers. Not all, but a majority.
IrishCarBomb

Dec 22, 2008, 6:39 PM
Well yeah, if I have a customer I am not on my phone unless I am showing them something. And as for down time, which I have a lot of, that is when I am encouraged to be on it.

They actually thought about disabling my internet so I would have to use my phone to surf the web, that was quickly shot down when we mentioned the fact that would suck for showing customers stuff, doing warranty claims, etc.
Menno

Dec 22, 2008, 7:15 PM
The only time I ever touch my phone for personal use is if the phone is ringing. Then I hit the mute/voicemail button and continue talking.

I have my manager and a few opthers tied to a specific ringtone, so I might answer that one if I am expecting a call from them in direct relation to the customer I am helping. If I am doing something on my phone and a customer comes in, I close it immediately and help the customer.

But there is a ton of downtime, and it would be unbearable without something to pass the time.
custservguru

Dec 22, 2008, 7:53 PM
i dont blame you. wish we could when we dont have calls. sometimes we can have a lot of availability. heck, we cant even have our phones out unless we are outside of the building or off the call floor. thats just rediculous.
wade496

Dec 22, 2008, 8:18 PM
understand why a cust. would be upset that the reps are doing something with their phone. Most of the things that I do with my phone while at work are for my manager like sending updates answering his questions other things like that. The cust would have no idea who I'm talking to. Being in a retail store many customers come in and have questions about certain phones, if I dont play with my phone I couldnt answer almost any of their questions. That is why there are demo phones not only are they for the cust but also for the rep. Use the phone to get an understanding
vzwilman

Dec 22, 2008, 6:57 PM
Ok i agree with all that you said. I agree to not be on it if we have customers that much I get. But i mean if we have no one coming and all other work is done then I don't see an issue of it. Maybe it is because another employee was abusing it. It be nice if they explain why they made the rule istead of just saying hey you can't text.
custservguru

Dec 22, 2008, 7:04 PM
yea i feel ya
Thelastholdout

Dec 25, 2008, 2:49 AM
Heck, you're lucky you don't work in a call center. We can't even have our phones on our person *technically* while we're on the floor. Every time I keep my phone where I can see it (on my belt) and I don't have something covering it up so some pompous supervisor can't see it I'm risking my job. There IS a reason for this, though; due to credit laws, we can't have anything available in order to help defraud people (for instance, copying a credit card number and texting it to a friend, or taking a screenshot with a phone camera and using the information there to do wild crap, or using the camera to take a photo of an upcoming product that the company's keeping hush hush, etc.)
crazyeaglefan236

Dec 26, 2008, 12:02 AM
Yeah, your company is overreaching by wanting you to be working. How dare a company say that you cannot use your personal cell phone while they are paying you a wage to do a job. How dare they!
gottalaugh

Jan 3, 2009, 7:46 PM
Perhaps there was a problem at some location.
Another possibility is that as an unskilled "boss" he/she is using the old "new rule/cracking the whip" technique because they feel some need to show someone that they are "taking action" and "working hard" or heres an old favorite.. big changes!". I have seen corporate employees as high as regional VPs make counterproductive rules that were heralded as the "new truth of life" and then watched the rules later overturned by saner brighter folks in management that were trying to acheive real results.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.