Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 12 replies

Highlights of the workplace

ajlineman

Dec 15, 2008, 9:45 PM
So I love my job... its great, but sometimes I look for some other sort of amusment. Phonescoop is one of the few approved sites and messing around in the forums has been a fun past time of mine.
A recent change has made my time in these forums much more enjoyable. The disapearance of a certain forum member who was extremely outspoken has made it much easier to chat freely on here.
Any one else feel similarly?
jeffatt

Dec 16, 2008, 11:35 AM
My favorite part of working where I do (indirect AT&T agent)? The owner of our little chain (about 10 stores) is too cheap to use any sort of software or anything restricting internet access.

My co-workers and I spend much of the slow days surfing the web & watching TV/movies online. Just make sure to clear the history every night! 😉
wizardofCroz

Dec 16, 2008, 11:39 AM
We're under work secure, so this is the only site that is worth going to while at work.

I get yelled at for discounting a CU515 20 dollars but no one says anything about the brand new security system..WITH AUDIO..that magically arrived in our stores, so everyone has to whisper or write down something they may not want the manager to hear
IrishCarBomb

Dec 16, 2008, 11:58 AM
😲 They can't record your voice without telling you and your express written consent.
wizardofCroz

Dec 16, 2008, 12:01 PM
According to them, my express written consent is signed on every pay check.
Menno

Dec 16, 2008, 12:03 PM
Not unless it was in the contract/forms that you filled out when you started working there.
vzwilman

Dec 16, 2008, 12:04 PM
Well according to the law offeces of me. That is a violation of your right to free speech and the privacy act. I would higher your self a good lawyer and sue the pants off them.
IrishCarBomb

Dec 16, 2008, 12:06 PM
That is funny! And really sucks...

Too bad you would probably loose your job if you tried to fight it, but it is highly illegal! They have to have you sign paperwork giving them permission, and they can't fire you if you don't. But they would fire you if you make a fuss, and make you play it out in court.

You might want to drop an anonymous call to your local work Force Development center.
wizardofCroz

Dec 16, 2008, 12:09 PM
Well, all of this is word of mouth. We talked to the guy installing the equpiment, and he said, yes there is audio. I've even had co-workers get called because they were sitting on counters, talking on personal phones, etc. the thing is: I can't really PROVE that this system records audio bc its all reviewed at HQ. O well, not too big of a deal.
Menno

Dec 16, 2008, 12:19 PM
Ask: "Does the new security system include audio recording?"

And go from there.
IrishCarBomb

Dec 16, 2008, 12:53 PM
Well, you can tell just by looking that someone is sitting on a counter or talking on their personal cell phone, it doesn't take audio to see that.

But if there is audio, and they are recording it, they have to have signs posted letting customers now, they have to let you now, and they have to have written consent from you. Customers don't have to sign anything, but workplace laws say you do.

If they don't have signs posted, they don't have audio, or are really dumb and risking major fines and even prison time.
usccsucks

Dec 16, 2008, 12:06 PM
I'm stuck with work secure too...found a way to get on the net thru our teletracker tho. it kinda sucks cause there is no audio but it beats surfing the approved websites.
liquidfire

Dec 16, 2008, 1:07 PM
i use to have work secure. that sucked!

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.