Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 42 replies

Top Ten Things You Don't Say In A Cell Phone Store (Kinda Long)

Chobee

Dec 12, 2008, 9:03 PM
From a Cell phone Rep's Perspective, Don’t be one of these people....

#10...But my bill says Sprint now......Ok genius...you signed up with Nextel, you have been billed by Nextel for years, your phone says Nextel on the outside. The only thing that has changed in your world is the logo on your bill. Let me put it into perspective...If you buy a box of Frosted Flakes, and your wife puts a picture of the Lucky Charms guy on the box, does the contents inside magically change into pink hearts and yellow moon marshmallows? Convert over or deal with the reality that you signed up with the wrong team.

#9...Best Buy sells the RAZR cheaper....Its called a promotion. Their reps are hourly employees which means no commission is paid out. Bes...
(continues)
T-Monster

Dec 12, 2008, 9:14 PM
my hero 🙂
tanya_ATT

Dec 12, 2008, 9:23 PM
frigin great..

puts everything i was going crazy about today in perspective.. thank!!

and agreed.. my hero!
Burger Time

Dec 12, 2008, 9:25 PM
I am so glad I don't work in wireless. I would kill the custys on the first day.
tanya_ATT

Dec 12, 2008, 9:36 PM
really u dont.. what do you do?
Nehemiah7

Dec 12, 2008, 9:36 PM
Wow i wish they would attach a copy of this into the front part of the box from every phone they purchase in BIG CAPITAL LETTERS!
tanya_ATT

Dec 12, 2008, 9:53 PM
so very true!!! 😉
gadawg119

Dec 13, 2008, 11:25 AM
and then the customer...WOULDN'T READ IT!!!
wizardofCroz

Dec 13, 2008, 11:11 AM
Giant Eagle?? You from the 'burgh?
Chobee

Dec 13, 2008, 1:42 PM
C&P from an email
sweetcherrygurl

Dec 15, 2008, 10:11 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

those are like the ONLY things i ever hear from customers around here

thank you for putting my constant mental venting into WORDS. beautiful words..

i may love you.... hhahaha
Sprintzorz

Dec 19, 2008, 10:08 PM
haha what store/city are you in? i was the one who originally sent this e-mail out to our store on the 12th, then i signed on here and i was like wow wtf? how did this copy get on here. i found it on HoFo a while back and it was from an ATT/Cingulair rep, i just changed some things to make it apply to sprint/nextel......weird lol are you anywhere near the vegas area? if not, then damn this e-mail got passed around hella fast
llama

Dec 19, 2008, 10:13 PM
Sprintzorz said:
i found it on HoFo a while back

So, only you had access to do this?
Sprintzorz

Dec 19, 2008, 10:30 PM
🙄 neg but its kinda weird that the same day i e-mailed it out it gets posted on here, and that all the spelling/grammer errors that i had in my copy that i sent out. so kinda makes me think its the same one....just curious to see how fast it traveled around sprint
llama

Dec 19, 2008, 10:56 PM
Sprint is still in business this week?
Sprintzorz

Dec 19, 2008, 11:12 PM
🙄 wow really?
Chobee

Dec 20, 2008, 3:47 PM
SLC
Sprintzorz

Dec 20, 2008, 4:34 PM
ahhh werd, i was just curious to see how fast, and to what cities that e-mail got around to lol, its just hella hard to deal with custies after reading it tho because you wanna use all those responses with them 🤣
repoman

Dec 16, 2008, 2:04 AM
In regards to number 2: I work warranty for AT&T/Cingular and I would like it heard by all of the store agents (COR or AR) that warranty will NOT replace the phone if there is anything physically damaged or if there is liquid damage on the phone. So many times have I had this conversation:

Cust: "I was at your store and they told me to call this number and you would replace my phone."

Me: "OK. What is the problem with your phone?"

Cust: "The screen is cracked." or "There are black spots all over the screen." or "My keys are falling off." or "My dog/kid got a hold of it now it won't make any calls." or "Instead of one whole phone, I have 3 smaller chunks of phone."

That's physical damage people! Stop referring them to warranty for...
(continues)
robtheman

Dec 16, 2008, 2:48 AM
Hey guy, I understand why you're complaining, but I will guarantee you that 95% of the customers that said the store referred them for a warranty exchange are lying. If there is one thing I've learned in this industry, it's that the general public will lie through their teeth to get exactly what they want. When you call them on a lie and prove to them that they're lying, then the just start to yell and scream and insist that they're still right. I don't know when the mentality of the average person dropped to the equivalent of a 4 year old with brain damage, but it is what it is.

Sure, there are new people that work in the stores that don't know what is or is not covered under warranty. That doesn't mean that every customer that calls...
(continues)
repoman

Dec 16, 2008, 3:44 AM
Oh, I can read notes on the account, that's not the problem. I can see if the store agent put notes in the system. And that's a big IF because I also know how the situation goes when a cust comes in with a phone issue. The agent looks at the phone. Powers it on and off. Pulls out the battery and SIM. Then hands the cust the phone and the 800 number saying "There's nothing I can do." And doesn't even think to notate the account for such a brief encounter. They want to make a sale and any time wasted putting notes in the system is less money in their pocket. We have situations where we actually have the cust go BACK to the store and have the agent call us. And we on the phones have to practically beg the agent to type in a few quick notes into...
(continues)
Menno

Dec 16, 2008, 9:58 AM
As an indirect agent, there is very little I can to troubleshoot a phone.

If there are no signs of physical damage or water damage, I will either help them through the fru process myself, or if I think there is any chance it is user damage, I will give them the address of the nearest tech center and tell them that a technician will have to check out the phone before any exchange is offered.

I don't know how different it is with other carriers, but as an agent for VZW, there is little I can do when someone comes in with a phone I didn't sell past the basic trouble shooting. If I take the phone apart, even if I knew what I was doing, i void any warranty they might have. This is why my company offers our own protection plan, so that we ...
(continues)
gottalaugh

Jan 3, 2009, 6:06 PM
I agree. I work in CS. I am always polite and I don't bother telling people that they are flaming low skilled con artists when they are obviously liying because it would only prolong the misery.

I am sure we have all heard the following:

"The store said you would give me a credit for all my (roaming in mexioco/my new blackberry/my termination fee/the late fees caused by my 60 day past due status/etc etc).

Don't believe all that they pretend to quote. Neither the average retail employee or the average CS employee is that stupid. Many of these customers would swear a lie on their mother's soul without flinching.

The sad part of this is that companies don't bother to differentiate between customers and expensive cost driving crimin...
(continues)
IrishCarBomb

Dec 16, 2008, 10:01 AM
I am an in store agent, and my company has it set up that I am the one dealing with warranties... If it is inside 30 days and the phone is perfect, we can swap it that one time, outside 30 days it is getting sent off to the manufacturer... I fill out all the paperwork for them and give them an addressed envelope postage paid and all, they just have to drop it in the mail.

But here is the funny thing, there are people I tell that the phone isn't covered because it has obvious physical/ water damage, but they insist the phone worked fine after the incident so do it anyway. I do, since I have to and whatever, I am still getting paid hourly. It never fails, these people will come back in a couple weeks later with their phone, yelling at me th...
(continues)
repoman

Dec 16, 2008, 2:26 PM
My point was that it's listed clearly in number 2 that there are agents telling cust's that they can get things from us that they can't, such as overnight shipping.

I understand that this is just supposed to be a joke and whatnot, and that's fine. But the humor comes from the truth of the situations, and I just wanted the real truth to be known.

Also, this pretty much only applies to AT&T/Cingular agents, just because he mentioned Cingular in one of them.
IrishCarBomb

Dec 16, 2008, 2:33 PM
It also mentions Sprint/Nextel in the first point!
repoman

Dec 16, 2008, 2:41 PM
Touché, salesman.
cookiesandcreme69

Dec 16, 2008, 10:10 AM
Would you like a midol?????? It seems to be your time of the month.
IrishCarBomb

Dec 16, 2008, 10:30 AM
ROFL! 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣
cookiesandcreme69

Dec 16, 2008, 11:10 AM
I figured you would appreciate that. 😉
IrishCarBomb

Dec 16, 2008, 11:17 AM
Thank you! I like the midol humor, good times. My best friend and I have a pretty good on going joke with midol... randomly we re gift the same bottle of it to one another, but certain conditions must be met.
wizardofCroz

Dec 16, 2008, 11:05 AM
Repo, this sounds like something i hear from customers on a daily basis: "I called warranty and they told me to exchange it in the store"

"yeah it's been 8 months"

"i know, thats just what they said".

"sure they did"

"so i have to get back on the phone with them??"

"I'm not sure you were on the phone with them to begin with" i don't know why we have an XBM warranty department if they just send ppl to the store.

"whats the number again? I lost it"
sms_Queen

Dec 16, 2008, 3:02 PM
YES!!! I agree WHOLEHEARTEDLY!!! I think we may work for the same company too!
wade496

Dec 19, 2008, 7:48 PM
is to say that they didnt give the asurion number not the warranty dept. I dont even know a warranty number for my company. What I do know is that we have these nifty little business cards that say asurion and give their number. However I dont work at ATT/Cingular so there may be a chance that this just happens at ATT/Cingular.
IrishCarBomb

Dec 16, 2008, 10:29 AM
Not sure if anyone has added anything, as your list was beautiful and well spoken, but I might add these:

1. "I don't have your service, but can you look at my phone for me, it doesn't seem to be sending picture msg(Or any other issue)?" Yeah sure, and while I am at it, you want me to check your car fluid levels? Don't get me wrong, I will take a quick look to see if it is something simple, like line 2 being selected, the phone is just broken, or they are missing a message center number, but I can't fix anything that is more complicated than selecting a different pre-existing setting. I also pitch them our current promo, and the fact they get $50 for bringing their number over, hook them up wit a business card and all. But why on eart...
(continues)
wizardofCroz

Dec 16, 2008, 10:42 AM
"Hey can i check out the (insert phone name)." (Go through the spill of demonstrating, explaining features, all that mess) "Ok, thanks, I'm getting it off ebay, i just wanted to feel the phone before it came in the mail."

Look douche, I don't get paid to be a demonstrator, nor to take orders from you. If you wanna buy a cheap high quality phone from ebay or wal-mart, i beg you this one thing, DONT EVER COME BACK COMPLAINING ABOUT HOW IT DOESN'T WORK!! By the way, thanks for wasting 20 minutes of my time while a line piles up out the door because you're too cheap to buy a phone in the store, but selfish enough to waste my time looking at a phone for 20 min just to tell me you're getting it from ebay.
IrishCarBomb

Dec 16, 2008, 10:44 AM
Very annoying, and it never fails, once you get someone in the store asking about a phone for no reason than to waste your time, you will get 10 real customers, who are now getting shafted by this a$$hole.
Menno

Dec 16, 2008, 10:54 AM
And the customer wasting your time will pitch a fit if you ever go to help the other customers who are actually there to buy something.
IrishCarBomb

Dec 16, 2008, 11:07 AM
Oh yeah!

C: I was here first!

M: They have been waiting patiently, and I am good at multy tasking.

C: You just lost a sale, I am going to get it off the internet!

M: Ok... (Thinks to self, I don't get anything for a replacement phone anyways)
sweetcherrygurl

Dec 19, 2008, 5:12 PM
wizardofCroz said:
"Hey can i check out the (insert phone name)." (Go through the spill of demonstrating, explaining features, all that mess) "Ok, thanks, I'm getting it off ebay, i just wanted to feel the phone before it came in the mail."

Look douche, I don't get paid to be a demonstrator, nor to take orders from you. If you wanna buy a cheap high quality phone from ebay or wal-mart, i beg you this one thing, DONT EVER COME BACK COMPLAINING ABOUT HOW IT DOESN'T WORK!! By the way, thanks for wasting 20 minutes of my time while a line piles up out the door because you're too cheap to buy a phone in the store, but selfish enough to waste my time looking at a phone for 20 min just to tell me you're getting it from ebay.<
(continues)
jeffatt

Dec 16, 2008, 11:27 AM
Best. Post. Ever.

Don't forget Joe Blow with the PDB...

C: "Why is there a past due balance on the account? I pay my bill every month!"

M: Yes, Joe Blow, you pay a bill every month and you're constantly behind a month, hence a past due balance. By the way, I look forward to having this exact same conversation next month.
Wirelesskid

Dec 18, 2008, 1:55 AM
/agree
ms.ashlee

Dec 18, 2008, 10:29 AM
all I have to say is AGREED!!

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.