Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 40 replies

What grinds my gears

wizardofCroz

Oct 4, 2008, 4:33 PM
what really grinds my gears is when people want to save all these dollars by buying phones from the internet or wholesale warehouses and then come into my store and b*tch and complain that their phone is messed up and want a new one.

C: My phone is broke

Me: Ok, not a problem, did you buy it here?

C: naw i got it from Brandsmart

Me: well take your cheap @$$ back there and when you want to buy a good phone from me, take my card and let me know (this is all said in my head, it usually follows with, well unfortunately i can't insure that phone since it came from a 3rd party source)
cellfiend

Oct 4, 2008, 7:25 PM
3rd party sourced phones can be insured at the time of sale or within the buyers remorse period. You can do so by competently using your system or using a telephone. 😁
kapwww

Oct 4, 2008, 7:30 PM
Do you sometimes forget that different people work for different companies and use different systems from what you have available to you? Not trying to be a jerk, but just wondering.
cellfiend

Oct 4, 2008, 7:36 PM
Actually I am one of the third party people he is talking about so I'm fully aware I and others use a different system. If it's not available on his comp (which is near impossible when doing activations since the contracts all come from the service provider and why the **** would they want to lose out on money?!?!) then he can call it in to either activations or customer care for the service provider he sells for.

I refuse to believe that this guy is licensed as a direct seller and can't add insurance.
cellfiend

Oct 4, 2008, 7:37 PM
This guy works for direct. You're telling me he can't add insurance? B.S. It's called customer care. I've bought phones off ebay and been able to ensure them don't give me this BS.
cellfiend

Oct 4, 2008, 7:37 PM
*insure
kapwww

Oct 4, 2008, 8:16 PM
Again, it depends on the carrier and what insurance company they use. For some, if you aren't the one selling the phone, you can't add the insurance. It has to be added through the insurance company or in some cases customer service.

I just bring it up because you tend to make snap judgments about things people say on here. In many of those cases, people can only do what their carrier or employer allows and those entities may not allow the same pricing, systems, or transactions as your employer. It doesn't make them inferior or wrong but you treat them as such. If you want to be a jerk, the lounge usually eats that stuff up.
Butthead007

Oct 4, 2008, 8:45 PM
while his duh factor is off the charts, its people like him and devilsmafia who make it hard on direct reps cause they are brain dead.
cellfiend

Oct 5, 2008, 12:07 PM
Butthead007 said:
him and devilsmafia who make it hard on direct reps cause they are brain dead.

WTF is wrong with you people? I'm not brain dead. YOU are the idiot. Direct just means you can add insurance faster. For ****s sake.
WhoDey

Oct 6, 2008, 9:33 AM
If you worked in customer care, you would be the one to tell people what we can and cant do in a store, even though you have no clue what youre talking about.

Direct may mean YOU can add insurance, it doesnt have to mean EVERY direct can.

What is so hard for you to understand about blanket statements and how wrong they can be?
wizardofCroz

Oct 5, 2008, 11:25 AM
exactly, i work for a private company that sells AT&T, our policy is that we can insure AT&T locked phones, but if its unlocked from a 3rd party source, they can get a 3rd party insurance policy
cellfiend

Oct 5, 2008, 12:06 PM
wizardofCroz said:
but if its unlocked from a 3rd party source, they can get a 3rd party insurance policy

Yes, by third party you mean asurion most likely seeing as they insure all the major carriers. The problem here is you're too lazy to make a 5 minute phone call, not that your service provider won't insure the phone.

Also, you never said anything about unlocked.
Tmo Slave

Oct 5, 2008, 1:47 PM
You are wrong asurion will doesn't cover authorized dealers.(I know for a fact that they don't cover tmobile authorized dealers.) So he could be using a different insurance company. His company policy is they can't add insurance for phone not purchased through them. Its not his fault the bargin bin store didn't do their job.
cellfiend

Oct 5, 2008, 4:49 PM
No YOU are wrong. I bought my phone on EBAY!!! EBAY!!! It wasn't from a dealer it was from SOME GUY!!! Asurion, through Sprint, insured it.
kapwww

Oct 5, 2008, 5:25 PM
So...you know the Sprint policy. You have no CLUE what T-mobile, Verizon, or AT&T allow their customers to do through Asurion.
Fredd

Oct 6, 2008, 10:01 AM
He also has no clue as to what "third party" means. Assurion is a direct insurer through the cell carrier. "Third Party" would mean through an independent source - such as some of the others that can be found on the web, or through your personal/commercial insurance carrier (Inland Marine floater, either Scheduled Article floater or an EDP floater).
cellfiend

Oct 5, 2008, 12:10 PM
kapwww said:
Again, it depends on the carrier and what insurance company they use.

The major ones tend to use asurion. Even if it is not one of the major ones that doesn't make a difference the guy either doesn't know how to pick up a phone or is too lazy to insure a proper sale. It doesn't matter where the source is, if the contract is within the buyers remorse period they can add insurance, period end of discussion. Don't believe me? Call up his provider's customer support like he should have done.
thiscurveismine

Oct 6, 2008, 9:13 PM
to my knowledge as an authorized retailer (indirect) for at&t, a phone can have insurance added to it within the first 30 days of the original purchase date and/or 30 days of the handheld being registered to the wireless network. Translated, if a dude buys it on Nov 1st and you buy it from him via ebay on december 3rd, no you cannot add insurance to it unless it had not been registered (activated) to the network in question. This is ASURION policy, not at&t so it should be the same across the board.
At the same time, if a customer comes into to a store with a broken phone, adding insurance to that devise is technically comitting insurance fraud, hence why asurion asks for the date that the devise stopped working so as to detect these thing...
(continues)
wearyrep

Oct 5, 2008, 10:46 PM
well not all companies do this...the company i work for only insures company handsets within 72 hours of purchase. And that's whether it was bought from an agent or a corp store. It has to be a company handset only.
MildManneredClarkGrunion

Oct 5, 2008, 1:26 PM
on phones that are already broken. I wasn't aware anyone else could.
Simply Wireless

Oct 5, 2008, 1:29 PM
my comp can do it however the insurance deosnt kick for 30 days, since sprint already offers a 30 risk free return policy
cellularconnection

Oct 5, 2008, 1:33 PM
The same goes for us. If the customer does not purchase the phone through our store (or one of the stores in the company) we are not supposed to add insurance onto the phone.

We will give them all the numbers they need, explain the insurance, even allow them to use our phones if they insist, but we're not to add insurance to phones we did not sell to them.

The only exception is if they purchased it from Verizon directly, and they are coming to our store because they don't know how to activate it themselves. While this is still annoying, these customers generally come back to us for all ACC and to renew their contract when it is time because they find they like dealing with a store.
cellfiend

Oct 5, 2008, 4:46 PM
What company?
IrishCarBomb

Oct 5, 2008, 1:48 PM
My company just got a new insurance company, so now we can add insurance onto phones not bought in store/ not insured at time of purchase, but it takes 30 days to kick in.

The insurance company prior, though, not at all. If you didn't buy insurance for the phone at the time it was bought, you couldn't add insurance period. Not even an hour later. And I am a corporate store.
wizardofCroz

Oct 5, 2008, 3:42 PM
yeah all companies deal with certain policies. Some people in this thread beg to differ. but o well. day is almost over and i've done 2 and 2, not bad for 5 hours and a sunday
IrishCarBomb

Oct 5, 2008, 5:01 PM
Just did a 3 line family plan, data on two of them, unl family txt, and under the new com structure of 1 to 1 their monthly bill to my com, I got $195 in com! and sick part is, they walked in knowing exactly what they wanted accross the board and had been waiting for me since I had talked to the father before!
cellfiend

Oct 5, 2008, 4:46 PM
IrishCarBomb said:
If you didn't buy insurance for the phone at the time it was bought, you couldn't add insurance period. Not even an hour later. And I am a corporate store.

Who do you work for? Hitler?
IrishCarBomb

Oct 5, 2008, 5:02 PM
Nope, that was the terms the insurance company set. The cell company doesn't control those terms, the insurance company does.
cellfiend

Oct 5, 2008, 4:48 PM
Insurance comes from the service provider through an outside company and as such can be bought anywhere within the buyer's remore period, period. *You* personally may not be allowed to do it but they can call customer service and do it. They have to add insurance, unless they don't allow insurance on certain phones (for certain carriers).
IrishCarBomb

Oct 5, 2008, 5:05 PM
You are wrong! I really don't care what rules you might think you know or have experienced, the insurance was only available at the time of purchase of the phone, if not gotten then, then not available. It was the insurance companies policy, and they can do that. Buyers remorse doesn't have anything to do with this, the 72 hour law is about canceling contracts, not modifying.
cellfiend

Oct 5, 2008, 5:13 PM
Time of purchase my ass I got the phone off ebay and got the service for it separately and STILL got insurance. Again, after I got it from EBAY!! I did this TWICE with TWO different carriers. Guy needs to learn how to do his job right.
IrishCarBomb

Oct 5, 2008, 5:31 PM
You need to learn how to read and comprehend...

NOT ALL INSURANCE COMPANIES ARE THE SAME!

NOT ALL CARRIERS ARE THE SAME!
cellfiend

Oct 5, 2008, 5:33 PM
Doesn't matter I'm guessing it is one of the 5 major carriers in the U.S. He hasn't said otherwise I'm guessing because he found out he could add insurance with a 2 minute phone call. You can do the same its just not from your P.O.S. system. Hell the customer can do it themselves they don't need you.
IrishCarBomb

Oct 5, 2008, 6:08 PM
Really? I could do the same? Please tell me how... please do explain how?

With the new insurance company we started using on October 1st, yes, and I don't even have to call, I just add the IMEI and the feature code, and it takes 30 days to become active.

With the insurance company we had for the past 2 years, absolutely not. Unless it was accepted and applied at the POS, no insurance. Even if I made a mistake and didn't ring it through at the POS when they asked for it I couldn't add it, not even with a phone call. This would be one of the big reasons we switched insurance providers.

There are 3rd party phone insurance providers out there as well... But being a corporate store, I would not be allowed to help a customer set up s...
(continues)
Nadesico81

Oct 6, 2008, 8:07 AM
Gawd! You guys want to take this outside or something? Jebus fricken crist some things are diffrent with diffrent providers even in certian markets states etc etc etc. So what the big deal.

Insurance is insurance at the end of the day. Worse case a customer can buy insurance from a third party not affliated with the cell phone company. Some renters and homeowners insurance covers the loss and damage of cell phones. Mine sure does and its an American insurance company.
Fredd

Oct 6, 2008, 10:07 AM
So your experience with 2 carriers automatically applies to all? Wow, quite some power you have there!
UOQuack

Oct 6, 2008, 9:30 AM
Which is the scenario the original poster described. I'm sure he has the ability to add insurance to a working phone within whatever policies and procedures his particular company allows. But putting insurance on an already damaged phone is fraud, no matter who you work for.
MildManneredClarkGrunion

Oct 6, 2008, 11:19 AM
Thanks for clarifying. I think it got missed in all the discussion.
cellfiend

Oct 5, 2008, 5:14 PM
Insurance is done by an outside agency, yes. However, insurance is initially added by the carrier. Period, end of story.,
Nadesico81

Oct 6, 2008, 8:18 AM
Ausuron is crap insurance any one with half a brain would sell another inurance company. But atlast the cheapest company gets the cookie.

Now as for insureing phones after the fact it depends on alot of diffrent things. All of them are dependent on the service provider.

Just because you can sell insurance after the fact does not mean he can. Some small retailers tell there salesmen NOT to push insurance since they have a in house repair program. RadioShack and Circut City use to do this.
wizardofCroz

Oct 6, 2008, 11:18 AM
we can insure a cell phone up to 30 days after purchase, since the return policy is still in effect. but it has to be a company issued phone.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.