Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 10 replies

Any former Call Center reps make the jump to Stores for a different carrier?

OfAMightDivine

Aug 21, 2008, 12:38 PM
I'm tired of Call Center shenanigans. After almost 4 long years, I'm sure my timer is just about done.

I'd like to point out that it's not the customers that are driving me insane. It's the non-stop, pointless droning of management. People in suits who think they have a clue how a company is supposed to be run because they had a few weeks in a different industry.

The things they do make no sense. The trainings we're given are clearly not written by people who have EVER dealt with a customer (Seriously, when was the last time a customer said to you "You know, I wish SOMEONE would help me choose the right plan. I just keep going over my minutes and I need help!" Ugh. Idiots)

Management also tries to save people not worth saving. The...
(continues)
devilsmafia

Aug 21, 2008, 1:26 PM
I work for an indirect VZW location. The job is great and no one is breathing down my neck. The only draw back is that I make half as much as they make in a corporate VZW store. Although the commision isnt too bad, the base pay sucks compared to what you make at a corporate store. Keep that in mind before jumping to an indirect location.
UOQuack

Aug 21, 2008, 2:17 PM
I agree with Devil, the pay at indirects is alot lower. The commission where I work is pretty good, and if you are willing to bust your butt you can make a pretty good living. I'm with an AT&T indirect.

I used to work in a call center as a tech support guy for a computer company. Not cell phones, obviously, but I do know some of the corporate BS you are talking about. Working for a small company is so much better. I have daily contact with the people who actually pay me. I have been able to build personal relationships with them, and when I've needed time off (paid or otherwise) they've been great about working with me. The trick is finding a quality indirect to work for. When you go to interview, remember that an interview is a t...
(continues)
Ask The Shack

Aug 22, 2008, 8:17 AM
That's why I like working at a call center for a cell phone manufacturer now. At least I don't need to deal with people screaming at me over how their kids blew through their text messaging package, and want credits because "they would never do that! They don't even know how to text!", meanwhile they are texting on their phones WHILE the parrent is on the phone, watching the kid do it, but is too stupid to understand what s/he's doing.

Wost thing I have to deal with is customers getting mad that we won't stap out phones, and they will need to mail them in, and be without them for a few weeks.

If you're good on the phone, maybe you should look at a diffrtent company to work for, not a whole other field (going from CS to sales).

Good ...
(continues)
coldouthereND

Aug 22, 2008, 9:07 AM
I did something similar...I moved from warranty to insurance...that way it's their own fault their phone isn't working and I hear a lot fewer complaints
Pious Goddess

Aug 22, 2008, 11:40 AM
I'd love to work in Insurance or a Chat center!
softshoe

Aug 22, 2008, 8:12 PM
I work in Insurance it sucks. You don't get to help anyone and you are tied down by more than policy and procedure. You are roped and doped to a Government Agency approved insurance policy that gives you no room for concessions. Plus you get yelled at when you have to deny a claim because dumb people don't read what they agree to and think that because it is insurance it will cover everything. Even if they take the phone and decide to use it as a skipping stone on the lake.
inked n poked.

Aug 22, 2008, 8:01 PM
when i worked in a call center.

and i hate people.
face to face interaction pisses me off.

thats just me.
ElTriste

Aug 22, 2008, 8:50 PM
I got offered a job for sprint retention makin 17 an hour. should I take it? I HATE people, and especially pissed off people. anyone work both sides of the industry??
Duct Taper

Aug 23, 2008, 10:11 AM
I made the jump big time, Tmo center to AT&T device support. Politics can wear you down after 7 years. Same money. also alot of the same reasons, new hires getting starting pay equaling my tenured pay. how is that fair? Learn how to treat your currant employees and they will make you millions
firecollector

Aug 24, 2008, 9:11 PM
I was thinking about making the jump from cust care to sales,too.I am able to work well with most of the people who call in,and I like when I can help them,(and they at least appreciate it),but the stress of looking at everything on the account,solving multiple problems,AND keeping it under 550 seconds = too much stress for an old guy.It seems that the CORs I've been in recently have been a much more relaxed atmosphere.And,since I already know the systems (even the manager only ones)training should be minimal....i hope.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.