Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 49 replies

What are your responses?

SEM

Aug 5, 2008, 12:28 PM
When you have a customer that says "Ok, I am going to think about this and will get back with you.", what is your typical response? I have heard a lot of different replies to this statement before, I was just curious what everyone here says to keep that sale!
dustin.gery

Aug 5, 2008, 1:18 PM
I tend to say...."mr customer i have people tell me they are going to leave and come back all the time....your here now, you have a 14 day trial period, try it out if you dont like the phone or the service, return it...And listen just because your having a tough time ill give you an even better deal, i deal you cant walk awya from"

If they walk away, the deals gone, they come back there gonna get gutted like a fish
cellfiend

Aug 5, 2008, 1:49 PM
They have 14 days anywhere. The point is them trying to get a lower price on the handset or weighing options of different services.
dustin.gery

Aug 5, 2008, 1:52 PM
I understand that....that doesnt stop me from using that pitch...im saying walk away with the phone while your here, if you dont like it return it, dont make another trip, and for you not making another trip i will reward you with a better deal
cellfiend

Aug 5, 2008, 2:38 PM
You'll throw in a car charger?

Also they get charged for minutes used and for some carriers activation fees. Also some places have restocking fees. Also returning can be a process which means if they come back to return and you have other people waiting..well hope you got a customer service person their on site and you're not at a kiosk.
dustin.gery

Aug 5, 2008, 2:49 PM
Didnt say id throw in a car charger....lets say a customer wanted a sidekick lx.....and they wanted to walk away to think about it...id give them a price they couldnt walk away from, thats the benefit of the Company i work for...and ill still make alot of money from it....keep questioning my sales tactics, you wouldnt understand them anyway...
wireless

Aug 5, 2008, 2:53 PM
Nice sales process. Drop the price...

I build value with my people, and the first time they usually hear the price is when I'm ringing them up.
dustin.gery

Aug 5, 2008, 3:00 PM
Would you go to a Car Dealership and pay sticker price? If so your dumb....The Value you create with people wont add more money to there pocket, so either the deal walks for i lower my price....if the deal walks i make $0, if i lower the price, the store gains a number and i put some money in my pocket...what a horrible thing to do huh?
OfAMightDivine

Aug 5, 2008, 3:34 PM
Find me a brand new car for $500 and you have a deal my friend.
dustin.gery

Aug 5, 2008, 3:37 PM
Still doesnt change the fact that you dont have to buy a cell phone at said cost just because the assoc says so.
OfAMightDivine

Aug 5, 2008, 3:44 PM
My point is on that is that it's stupid to compare cars and phones in that manner. Just because you can haggle down the cost of a car by a few hundred or thousand doesn't mean it should be applied to cell phones. Really think about it. You get 10% off the cost of a car. That's a good $1,000 to maybe even $5,000 off. That's alot of money. Same situation for a cell phone. We'll say $500 at retail phone, 10% would only be $50 bucks. If a customer has to base their spending decisions on something like $50, then they probably shouldn't have a cellphone bill in the first place. Just an example.

It's nice that YOU can subsidize equipment, but we all don't work for your employer, now do we? Some of us could lose our positions just for doing th...
(continues)
dustin.gery

Aug 5, 2008, 3:49 PM
Consider this reply for anyone else who reads this then.....This is a message board, The poster asked for a response to his question....i just responded, you dont have to like it, or agreee with it.....i will haggle like a car salesmen to get the sale, at the end of the day, the more sales i have the more money i make.....and im not in sales for fun
cellfiend

Aug 5, 2008, 4:01 PM
The guys full of it. He is claiming he can haggle down to nothing on any phone. Whoever he works for would lose money. I would fire his ass in a heartbeat. Unless of course he sells refurbs. Who do you work for dustin?
Milkballz

Aug 9, 2008, 8:36 AM
My employer used to let his employees lower the cost of the 2 year agreement price however when he realized how much money he was losing he stopped that. *shrug* That was a long time ago when he first started and before I even worked for him. However, my point is that no intelligent employer would do that because of how much money they lose in the long term. People are always gonna ask for a special deal the trick is to convince the customer that whatever the price is, it is a really great deal. A good sales person is going to pitch the value of the product not the price. If you had sold all those phone for the correct price your boss would have not lost much money which means you could have earned a raise or two along the way. I would focu...
(continues)
cellfiend

Aug 5, 2008, 3:03 PM
Ok. Let's see how much of a price drop you can do. How much is your sidekick slide?
dustin.gery

Aug 5, 2008, 3:06 PM
Prime Customer-Starts a $200
I can Take $100 off that and still walk away with more then $50 in commission
cellfiend

Aug 5, 2008, 3:41 PM
Good for you. We have it for 49$. You fail.
dustin.gery

Aug 5, 2008, 3:45 PM
Either way....i can do that with every phone i have.....i bet your a SCK, so even if i sold it for 49 dollars id still make more money....thats what matters in the end...
cellfiend

Aug 5, 2008, 3:59 PM
49? Why not do it for free? I'm sure your employer would love that. I smell BS.
dustin.gery

Aug 5, 2008, 4:07 PM
Dont hate son, youll learn one day working for Walmart isnt selling phones
cellfiend

Aug 5, 2008, 4:11 PM
I don't work for walmart they don't make commission.
dustin.gery

Aug 5, 2008, 4:17 PM
How much commission do you make selling a slide for $49? if you dont mind me asking, feel free to tell me to shove it
cellfiend

Aug 5, 2008, 5:06 PM
Depends on dollars per hour. My comission doubles and triples based on that. I can make more than 50 on one sidekick. Don't get all bent out of shape it's not like I'm next door to you.
Grimey

Aug 5, 2008, 6:00 PM
I would tell him to shove it personally. 😎
cheaperatwalmart

Aug 6, 2008, 8:50 PM
not to defend his practice of dropping the price but I think part of the point is that its a hassle to return and that the customer might have to pay activation fee and restocking fee and all the other crap. Makes the customer not want to bother with the hassel of returning it. I will not drop the price of the phone because my company lowers my commision then. But if I have to sell a leather case and a car charger for $.99 a piece then I'll do it. We only pay like 1.95 for the case or car charger anyway. plus that helps my percentages. have to sell 1.5 accessories for every one phone out the door. just my two cents.
cellfiend

Aug 5, 2008, 1:50 PM
"Im going to think about it" 9 out of 10 times means theyre not coming back. You should get used to rejection in sales.
ElTriste

Aug 5, 2008, 3:20 PM
Agreed. When you start throwing "sales tactics" in there, as I've noticed, you only look desperate. Yes, the higher ups tell us to try until the customer is out the door, I'd rather look like a sane human being, and just move forward to the next sale.
tmbold

Aug 5, 2008, 2:08 PM
I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it
EasterBunny

Aug 5, 2008, 2:10 PM
just tell them, "NOW, is the perfect time to buy the phone bec promotions varies from time to time. And by the time they call back to get the phone, there might be no promotions available already or it may be a different one.
ElTriste

Aug 5, 2008, 3:32 PM
Russell peters on indian (middle eastern) people at chinese flea markets. "Maybe you look around and see nothing you like, maybe you come back here and price go up to 40 dollar!"
stinkercole

Aug 7, 2008, 11:20 AM
Wow must be nice to be able to drop the price of phones...I or anyone else could loose are jobs for that.
sweetsprintrep

Aug 8, 2008, 9:50 AM
yeah..that wud be a great sales tactics on the other hand..i envy u bcoz of that..im working at telesales of sprint and we are measured by the no. of sales we had at the end of the day..so for us not to lose the job we have to constantly have good numbers everyday..somehow it seems frustrating that after u gave all what u can 2 lock the sale the custy just say that she is just shopping around or looking for the best deal..well i do say that there will be no other dept that can offer that and he will regret his decision..
welll..that's sales world..get a life and go for another potential sale
llama

Aug 9, 2008, 8:54 AM
SEM said:
"Ok, I am going to think about this and will get back with you."

What is preventing you from buying from me now. I have shown you the products, features and benefits you were interested in, and this product completely matches your needs and wants. Are there any other things I missed?

- or -

Dude, who wears the pants in your family?

- or -

Sir, what is your wife/daughter/child/parent's security and peace of mind worth?

- or -

Why the f*** did you waste my time?

They all work...a true salesman knows when to use which one...
agent smith

Aug 9, 2008, 8:54 AM
SEM said:
When you have a customer that says "Ok, I am going to think about this and will get back with you.", what is your typical response? I have heard a lot of different replies to this statement before, I was just curious what everyone here says to keep that sale!

This just means they need an excuse to leave the store because your deal is not acceptable.
krickt

Aug 9, 2008, 9:56 AM
My response....

Okay, then, make sure when you are filling out the secret shopper form, you spell my name right, and put that you would be very likely to buy a phone.

(If they are a secret shopper, most times they won't complete the shop since they've been busted, and if they aren't, they'll laugh and leave anyway.)
CellularFanattic1

Aug 9, 2008, 10:17 AM
If they say it they say it!! they just want to try to find a better deal and thats the way of people in the world today. I hear it everyday and 50%of the time those customers come back to me 1. because of customer service and then 2 cause of the price cause i have lower prices on every phone in my store than another store of my company and online shopping.
Maybe its not the price that they are saying that to you for dustin maybe you did not give them the customer service they deserve.

And whats with the price drop really yea the more you take the more they want it but the more you lose into your pocket buddy no matter if you are still making $50 bucks think of what you could have with all your overly dicounted phones if you did not.

(continues)
liquidfire

Aug 9, 2008, 12:39 PM
who do u work for and are they hiring?
CellularFanattic1

Aug 9, 2008, 1:05 PM
haha i work for a wonderful retailer of AT&T and yes they are always hiring
devilsmafia

Aug 9, 2008, 1:08 PM
is your company located in Central Pennsylvania at all? Liquid and I work for the same company but we're located in PA. I want to come work for you guys.
CellularFanattic1

Aug 9, 2008, 1:09 PM
no we sure are not we currently dont have any stores in PA. I myself am located right down the way in NC
devilsmafia

Aug 9, 2008, 1:12 PM
😕

ah well, it was worth a shot. Liquid and I work for a VZW agent. Our commission structure is gay. There's no way we could earn $160 for one sale. That's gotta be sweet.
CellularFanattic1

Aug 9, 2008, 1:21 PM
yea its not bad at all. they pay better than any other company or even retailer that i know of. They are the largest reatailer of AT&T in the U.S. and do run some verizon stores in Florida.

Its good pay i mean good example here.

if you did a 4 line activation with $100 deposit per line with family message unlimited and about $80 in accessories on a cheaper buy one get one free type phone how much would you make where you are??

ill tell you what i made after yours and i bet you will be super shocked!!
llama

Aug 9, 2008, 1:52 PM
I hardly EVER pull a deposit...
CellularFanattic1

Aug 9, 2008, 2:25 PM
i wish i could say the same most of the time all i ever get is $500 or $750 and people tuck tail and run!!

but i cant blame um for it
devilsmafia

Aug 9, 2008, 1:56 PM
Basically our commission structure is set up like this.

New Activation= 1 to 1.5 points (depending on price plan customer chooses)
New Add-on= .5 points
Upgrades = .5 to .75 points

Our minimum goal is to hit 40 points. Once we hit 40 points we're paid $20 per point. At 50 points, we're paid $25 per point. At 60 points, we're paid $30 per point.

Accessories are paid to us at 10%.

So now you see why we could never ever make $160 off of one sale.
CellularFanattic1

Aug 9, 2008, 2:05 PM
WOW!!!!! that is the most outragoues thing i have ever heard in my life i dont see how you make any money at all man i mean really that is just insane right there.

Just off that one sale I made almost $2,000 bucks just like that. and then they came back the next day and did an air card with $100 deposit and it was like $500 right there.

How are you making money on that man i mean honestly it seems outlandish?? Yall must be selling helluva lot a phones man
devilsmafia

Aug 9, 2008, 2:27 PM
luckily we have have a decent base salary. But yeah it's tough to make really good money with this company. You do have to really sell alot to make a big difference. I'm talking 60 points or more to get ahead.
CellularFanattic1

Aug 9, 2008, 2:51 PM
yea thats true i got the same i am salary and i get the commisson on top of that so it all works out pretty good in the end
dualitycomplex

Aug 9, 2008, 9:24 PM
I just ask when they were thinking about getting a new phone, and let them know I'll beat any deal in town, If its a phone i can do a discount on I'll throw that out at them and tell them its good til closing today. If they are serious about buying they will take the deal even if its only 10 or 20 bucks, my sales tatics all revolve around what my employer will allow me to do, as are most peoples. prices are just prices, discount down a phone that doesnt make you much to begin with and just sell 2 more of one that makes you bank the following day.
robbie7045

Aug 10, 2008, 2:08 PM
I have a little sway in getting their act fees credited to them, so I will see how things are going, and if it comes down to that, I will tell them that I will credit their fees. They are just going to look to see if they can find a better deal, so you have to know what is around you as competition, and know how to beat them. Make it sound like you are bending over backwords for them. I like to give 2for1 chargers, cases ect... Give them a better deal than they will get anywhere else. If they still walk, remember them, and when they come back in, dont credit anything, and charge full price on everything, that is a one and done deal.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.