Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 12 replies

No, I will not charge your phone!

SEM

Aug 1, 2008, 1:58 PM
C: Yeah, I'm gonna be out here shopping with my girl for quite awhile and my phone just died, can you throw it on a charger for a couple hours?

M: No sir, I cannot do it. I will be more than happy to sell you a new home charger for that phone though.

C: What?! Why the **** cant you do it?

M: Two reasons. First of all I am not going to rip open a package just to charge your cell phone when you have no intentions of doing business with us. And second of all, I am not going to be liable for your phone.

*Customer storms off**

I know its not that big of a deal, but I have other things to do with paying customers. Does anyone else get this request in your stores/kiosks? What is your usual response?
SS EarlGoodman

Aug 1, 2008, 2:28 PM
People come into my store and ask that all the time, so I do it with a smile, why? Because, ITS NOT A BIG DEAL. Making your customers happy is how you get them to do business with you, not making them storm off and tell their friends how terrible your service. Give your customers the same kind of help you would expect to reiceve, its pays off 🙂
Soimbored

Aug 1, 2008, 3:14 PM
Agreed. We do this kind of thing quite a bit for customers when we can. Usually it's our customers who ask us, not just random people, and I have had many people who work here at the mall with us, they would charge their (insert other carrier here) phone with us every once in a while, but when their contract ran out with that company, they cancelled and came to us. And finally, instead of opening new packaging, we just have a stock of chargers, mainly from our demos and returns, that we use to charge customers phones. It's easy, not time consuming, and has more than once made a customers day.
SEM

Aug 1, 2008, 3:21 PM
True, but in my opinion there is a big difference between a potential customer and a 16-year-old kid that is out shopping with his girlfriend.
cellfiend

Aug 1, 2008, 4:10 PM
16 year old kids get their parents to buy them stuff
Pious Goddess

Aug 2, 2008, 12:13 PM
Aren't you guys just nice. Good thing nothing bad happens to their phone, like someone knocks it on the floor, or accidentally places something on it. I'd hate to be responsible for it. But eh, good thing you guys can do that. I remember this one story where this lady got the first generation iPhone and bought a belt clip casing for it. The store rep tells her she has it in wrong and puts in correctly, she walks off out the door and it falls and breaks.
Seribus

Aug 2, 2008, 9:49 AM
and after that you tell them buti cant be responsible for your phone....
cellfiend

Aug 1, 2008, 4:13 PM
I do the same thing unless it's someone who works around here. It depends on if I have to open up any sealed packaging. The only chargers which I can not open are universal home chargers. The other ones are in the box with the phone.

Granted, I can let them use the chargers that come in the box with their phone... but what do I get out of this? If they have absolutely no intention of getting anything I say we do not have the charger for use unless they buy the phone. I say that the boxes are sealed and in doing so they can not get mad at me. If they're so desperate to charge their phone buy a car charger your cars outside and it looks like this is something that will come in handy.
Tmo Slave

Aug 1, 2008, 4:59 PM
If you had to open a package then I could see the issue but if you have one laying around its not a big deal.
OfAMightDivine

Aug 1, 2008, 11:01 PM
Tell them you would, but you have no spare electrical outlets, or charge them $5 per hour to charge it.
kapwww

Aug 2, 2008, 12:45 AM
I get it all the time and won't do it. Liability sucks. I tell them I can sell them a charger. If they ask about renting it for a bit, I quote them the retail price. If they ask about buying it and returning it, I tell them there will be a 25% restocking fee. It says so on our return policy even though we really don't do it, but if someone is trying to get it for free, I will quote it and hold 'em to it!
UOQuack

Aug 2, 2008, 10:15 AM
We do it, but only because our accessory packages are not sealed. If they were, we would not open a package for a non-paying customer. We do inform the customer up front that we will not be liable for any damage to their phone while it's in our store, but we've never once had any trouble with damage or loss of a customer's phone we were charging.
coolestguyinsa

Aug 5, 2008, 10:59 AM
If she was smokin HOTTT you wouldn't hesitate for a second to charge her phone. Damn the hotties get me everytime. 😁 😁 😁 😁

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.