Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 26 replies

New Activations..........How do you feel??

Pure1rish

May 9, 2008, 1:16 PM
Greetings, I hope everyone is Great.

I was wondering how everyone is dealing with the constant struggle to find new activations.

It is of UTMOST IMPORTANCE, for the company I work for to basically sell 3 a day at a Store.

yes, three new activations a day...?

Take in mind these factors
-The Economy
-People already have an existing plan
-High Deposits
-High cost of phones on a Pre-Pay
-Constant reminders from higher ups.

It's a little much, but hey, it's my job

Just wondering how everyone else is or isn't coping with New Accs

Thanks,
Peace
20momof3

May 9, 2008, 2:07 PM
3 a day would be nice, I work telesales and we have to maintain a 25%, keeping in mind we can take upward of 50 calls a day. Which would be roughly 12-13 new activations. I do see the struggle with constant reminders and other factors, but at the same time we can't control the fact that Sheniquia has crap credit, and we also can't control the fact that Joe customer is all or nothing, he wants 5 lines and is only approved for 3 so he walks to the company where he's going to get treated unfairly or possibly be approved for less lines. 😳
Pure1rish

May 9, 2008, 2:30 PM
I agree fully..

Alot of it is out of our control & As I have said before, Customers have caught on and do not want to sign a contract sometimes.

I spoke to a Nokia and Sony Rep a few weeks back and they agreed, the american mobile phone market is changing, and changing quickly.

New Activations are hard to come by, and they expected in high volume, which makes for a terrible combination.

I'm burnt out on them myself
Ghosthendrikson

May 9, 2008, 2:48 PM
I work for a baby bell, so we sell EVERYTHING. We had a rough month last month, and this month isn't exactly steamrolling into the Super Awseome Success Stadium.

With Gas prices, Tax Month last month, and general economoy slumpage, were seeing a lot of belt tightening going on.

Its even justified in the change in Bush's talks about the tax incentives, it went from him talking about how it was going to jack up the economy to now talking about how it will help people buy grocerys and Gas.
Pure1rish

May 9, 2008, 3:07 PM
Everything the above poster said.

Very, very true...

I am over it
BLEDSOE

May 9, 2008, 4:58 PM
Exactly..our company sent out an email saying "Get those rebate checks for those high deposits." Then said "There is no excuse for not meeting goals with this influx of $$"

🤣 🤣 🤣

All i have to say is...ok right.......Most people can barely afford to get to work and buy groceries and you want me to tell them that they need to pay their $750 deposit and get a phone that they will probably not be able to pay the bill on. Oh yeah!! So i will get a charge back in like four months...

Thanks......
liquidfire

May 9, 2008, 5:17 PM
our industry is all about $$$$$
they dont care how much money people do or dont have, they just expect them to use it for phones and service.

my moronic company wants me to constantly push data cards and blackberries on every customer. we're gettin yelled at because we arent selling enought of those two. oh and unlimited, premium and select plans. dont bother with the fact that we're hardly selling any phones right now, lets chase the few customers we have away by tryin to make them spend every last penny 🙄
Ghosthendrikson

May 10, 2008, 12:11 PM
I know how hard it can be sometimes dealing with pressure from the higher ups about upselling. This is how I deal with it, I make it a point to VERY CASUALLY ask them about these other services, if there responses is anything short of "WHY HELL YEAH I AM SO F-ING INTERESTED IN THAT EXTRA STUFF THAT I MIGHT HAVE A BRAIN ANNURISM IF YOU DONT TELL ME ABOUT THEM." Then I drop the subject and continue on the normal course of the sales process. That way I can at least legititamely argue that I have approached every customer about it. We can't make customer's decisions for them.
Pure1rish

May 10, 2008, 2:51 PM
You would be let go....or fired..

There is no games here with our company...

It's sad, you either hit your insane goal or get no money...

No way around it
BLEDSOE

May 10, 2008, 3:09 PM
yeah. here if the employee does not make their goal they are let go..if the manager wants to keep them then they get paid but the manager does not gt paid on what that employee made...so sorry but i need to feed my family and You gotta go! Our goals have went up EVERY MONTH so far even though we have been historically below year over year projections...imagine that.

i guess they feel if they threaten us with our jobs...then we will start activating everbody that comes in the door.

What sir you cannot pay for a phone...why here is they free phone..oh yu have service...well i am sure there are poeple that you don't want to have your # anymore...we can get you another number then you can use the other as a back up phone line.... hahah...
(continues)
Ghosthendrikson

May 10, 2008, 3:40 PM
So then when the customer says no, you just put it on their anwyays?
shortnsweet

May 13, 2008, 1:06 PM
Why not other dumb ass ppl that work at my store do then when they have a high bill I have to fing fix it and they are mad at me as if i did it. oh and Kaity too, she had the exact thing happen just 2 days ago. Then the effer had the nerve to ask for her number. i laughed then felt bad for her
Ghosthendrikson

May 10, 2008, 3:44 PM
I mean don't get me wrong, I understand the importance of maximizing ARPU. But Managers need to be realistic. I don't care how gifted of a salesman you are, your not going to justify a BB Pearl with BBA Connect to a retired sixty five year old couple who want only a single phone for trave/emergency.

There are definetley ways to maximize a sale like that, but two line 1400 min premium with a air card isn't the right solution.
BLEDSOE

May 10, 2008, 3:57 PM
Believe me i understand...however..most managers are just relaying on what was sent to them...I know we do not have any control over the actual "goals" for the store each month...lol..

And no you are not supposed to slam a customer because they will either just bring it back since it is too much for them or just call c/s and change it to what they wanted..Either way you will be decomped..Better to give the cust what they want.
Ghosthendrikson

May 10, 2008, 4:37 PM
Absolutley, when I said managers I meant more along the lines of our "Corporate Managers" walking around in there fancy buildings and their fancy suits. (Jealous? YES)

Sometimes I think they are WAY TOO over zealous about our number possibilities. And I think the framework is skewed. At my company, our goals are based the previous years final numbers. Sometimes very large factors (# of employees in store, etc.) will play into it. But no one is willing to say the word "recession" yet, so they expect us to truck along like everything is just peachy.
liquidfire

May 12, 2008, 9:21 AM
exactly. they just sit back and keep telling us that we "are in a prime location" and that "its easy to sell that" and blah blah blah. Prime Location? Really? Last time I checked, the little hallway in the mall away from everything is not "prime location". Also, when there is a COR store IN THE FOOD COURT WHERE EVERYONE ENTERS AND LEAVES THE MALL, our location gets ever worse. So if its soooooo easy, why dont you come here for a week and show me how its done? Can't do that? Didn't think so. So shut up and be happy with what I am able to sell.
shortnsweet

May 13, 2008, 1:10 PM
Kudos
Pure1rish

May 12, 2008, 9:22 AM
At least someone out there feels my pain.

Our goal for new activations this month =52
WTF???

We are at = 8 Right now..

Tell me about Pressure?

Unreal, and we are one of the highest ARPU Rated stores...

Believe me, in my area, features are not hard to sell, people love to throw money away.
liquidfire

May 12, 2008, 9:37 AM
is that 52 for the store or each?

we have to get 50 each, 2 of us at the store, was 3. but the real kicker is that stores goal is only 84 😳
took

May 13, 2008, 4:05 PM
our company (in an attempt to sell more aircards) has set up signs around the regesters that inform customers "If we did not ask you about broadband access by the time we finish your transaction, then you will recieve a free bluetooth headset" (and the neg GP goes against the rep. So buying an accessory,paying a bill, doing a feature change... Anything that prints a reciept and i have to remeber to say "can i tell you about our broadband access offer?" and if i dont then i get effed.
BLEDSOE

May 14, 2008, 10:57 AM
WTH!!! That sucks...
shortnsweet

May 13, 2008, 1:04 PM
I work for VZW too, i feel ya
kickmeoffphonescoop

May 14, 2008, 3:20 PM
My store goal for new activations this month (excluding add lines, just primary new acts) is 55, and I'm pacing for 85.

I'm the manager here, and I've told my employees to position things differently, and it works.

Tell people you can help them get out of their contracts.

Most phones have a rebate... tell them to use that phone rebate towards paying their de-act fees.

It works. I swear.
ralph_on_me

May 14, 2008, 4:50 PM
So... lie to customers? Maybe I should also give them four lines when they come in with a question about texting.
phonemechanic

May 14, 2008, 5:18 PM
How is that lying? What he suggested is basically just playing the numbers game. The way I see it, a customer can either put the mail in rebate towards their deact fees or the phone itself. Either way, the bottom line is still the same.
Pure1rish

May 15, 2008, 11:30 AM
Seriously..

Telling the customer you can get then out of their contract, by using their rebate to help pay for the de-act fee..

So, then you sign them up on another contract to get the new activation..

The only customer who would do that, and not actually see what your saying is a ignorant, moronic, dumbed down fool.

But, hey your getting your new acc's, that's all that counts, nothing else in the world, way to go!

(That's what all of our bosses say)
kickmeoffphonescoop

May 15, 2008, 12:42 PM
Exactly.

Creativity in wording is crucial.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.