Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 65 replies

Language Barrier

MizzSprint

May 7, 2008, 4:48 PM
I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but I'm amazed at how people get upset because nobody speaks spanish in the store.

We have a rep that leaves at 4:30pm and after that everyone speaks english. This country has spoiled the spanish speakers so bad they go places and expect someone to speak spanish.

What about all the other people that speak different langos, do you see Arabic people coming into the stores getting mad because they cannot communicate. If you're going to make exceptions for one culture do it for everyone else.
liquidfire

May 7, 2008, 4:59 PM
or learn english!! you live in america, where english was the common language until all the hispanics and mexicans started coming and people would learn spanish to conduct business with them. yes it may be common place now in the south for people to speak both, but the more north you go, the less common. its our national language, learn it, love it and get over yourself.
MizzSprint

May 7, 2008, 5:02 PM
Exactly, I don't get it.
traegon

May 7, 2008, 5:25 PM
It's the same group of people that believe illegal immigration is not wrong. For some reason, people come to the "Land of Opportunity and Freedom", but get pissy when they are scoffed for not following our /laws/ and custom's and such. As stated, it's America, learn our language. Go to Germany and get all pissy when they dont have Spanish speakers, see the reception you get.
charliegirl

May 7, 2008, 5:11 PM
liquidfire said:
the more north you go, the less common.

Nope, it's a huge issue here too and I am in NY
shortnsweet

May 13, 2008, 1:16 PM
Am I retarted or in NY in the north?!? 🀨
charliegirl

May 13, 2008, 1:20 PM
no offense but I guess you are retarded. THey had said the more north the less common. I said it's common here too and I am in NY (being more north.)
DarkStar

Jun 6, 2008, 8:39 PM
Its the national language? Are you serious? Have you ever looked up our national language?
grubakorwa

Jun 7, 2008, 9:14 AM
For the record, this country has no official language!
somuchforplanb

May 7, 2008, 5:16 PM
The way I see it there are certain professions where it is your responsibility to learn spanish and other languages in order to assist people. Basically these professions would be a police officer, a firfighter and an EMT. When you are trying to save peoples lives you need to understand them. Everything else it's their responsibility to learn English if you don't want to speak English then we shouldn't have to help you with anything.
traegon

May 7, 2008, 5:26 PM
I disagree. You chose to come to this country, it's your responsiblity to learn that countries language, not that countries responsiblity under any circumstance to learn yours.
downphoenix

May 7, 2008, 9:44 PM
Touche, but this country doesn't have a native language, unless you count all the native american languages like cherokee and navajo. By your logic, the british should have learned those languages instead of making everybody else learn it. 🀣
traegon

May 8, 2008, 3:56 PM
Whose talking about a native language? American English has been the language of this country since it's formation. I never said it was the 'native language'. Nice try though. πŸ™‚
lxav06

Jun 6, 2008, 3:06 PM
ooh good deflection,
but by just reasoning the british should have learned to speak the tongue of the peopel already here, which is what everyone is complaining about. Which is that non enghlish spaekers come here and expect us to know thier language. (i say that because i ma pretty sure some parts of Cali you have to learn Mandarin or Cantonese. i am gone so i will have to finish this later
kickmeoffphonescoop

May 7, 2008, 9:29 PM
I'm a white guy. I'm tall. I have blonde hair and blue eyes. Neither of my parents speak Spanish.

I speak fluent Spanish. I do this because it earns me more business and makes me more viable as business asset.

You might want to face the fact that there are a TON of Spanish-speaking people in this country, and they all can't learn English in just a few weeks.

We have an immensely complex language - and theirs is easy to learn.
MizzSprint

May 7, 2008, 11:08 PM
Do u want your doggie biscuit now or later? I sound ignorant for speaking the truth? Honestly people that approach me and get mad because I don't speak spanish are ignorant get it together. Not everyone has the passion to learn the language, good for u that u learned it, but just like those spanish people that has no desire to learn english I feel the same way. Do you see any other cultures complaining? No! They learn english even if it's not the best, they know enough to get by. One thing that bothers me is they offer FREE english classes, do they offer free spanish classes? NO! so don't come at me sideways, I got through my h.s. spanish class to pass and that's all. All I'm saying is when you come here at least learn to speak english and ...
(continues)
Sigma1570

May 8, 2008, 1:39 PM
Maybe you should learn spanish so you can get a better job when sprint goes under.
MizzSprint

May 8, 2008, 2:12 PM
Lol Sprint isn't going under, oh yeah do you see people in corperate america making it their goal to speak spanish? Actually I'm in school to get a better job. Speaking another language doesn't get you a better job over an education that shows your ignorance.

🀣 It's funny that you say speaking another lango gets you a better job, I have plenty of bilingual friends who are unemployeed or doesn't have the best job.I admit being bilingual does have it advantages, it might get you few cents or a dollar raise but not much I rather have my education before anything. So while Sprint is paying for my education I'm going to be here until I finish up school. πŸ™‚
alltelbran

May 11, 2008, 3:39 PM
🀣
ihateeverything

May 11, 2008, 4:06 PM
MizzSprint said:
but just like those spanish people that has no desire to learn english

HAHAHA you suck at english oh the irony OH THE IRONY 🀣
OfAMightDivine

May 11, 2008, 5:44 PM
ihateeverything said:
MizzSprint said:
but just like those spanish people that has no desire to learn english

HAHAHA you suck at english oh the irony OH THE IRONY 🀣

Shouldn't that be "HAHAHA, you suck at english. Oh, the irony. OH THE IRONY."

Apparently, you suck at it, too.
ihateeverything

May 11, 2008, 5:57 PM
My sentence was grammatically correct. I didn't add punctuation because this is an informal chat based Internet service and that is not required or expected.
OfAMightDivine

May 11, 2008, 6:05 PM
Well, if you want to chat about grammar...

Since it has a lot of definitions, I will do only the ones that apply.

gramΓƒβ€šΓ‚Β·mar

The system of rules implicit in a language, viewed as a mechanism for generating all sentences possible in that language.

The system of inflections, syntax, and word formation of a language.

Writing or speech judged with regard to such a set of rules.

Now, since punctuation, at least in this usage, would be part of that system of inflections, and word formation, and it was a sentence (generally speaking) and you were attempting to use the English language.

I would have to say that since you didn't use punctuation, then your statement of your sentence being grammatically correct would be...
(continues)
MizzSprint

May 11, 2008, 8:56 PM
Tell him again Almighty!

I had typos yes that's fine, I can admit I'm not perfect but don't call me out when you don't have your shyt together. Oh yeah, you should use punctuation especially while blogging. Since we cannot see or hear your tone and expressions.

LOL! You tried to put me on the spot and somebody called your A$$ out. HILARIOUS!!! 🀣 🀣 🀣 🀣 🀣 🀣
klazziic

May 13, 2008, 2:55 PM
to mizzsprint!!!! your the ignorant here .... i dont know if you notice but in the continent of AMERICA all except 3 countries speak spanish!!!!! you wanna cry about it go to england where english is the language to speak!!!!!!! and dont forget your in AMERICA
MizzSprint

May 13, 2008, 8:32 PM
Oh shut up! Lol "don't forget I'm in America" exactly what are you typing? English. Stop making excuses. Like I said if you wanna bow down to one culture do it for all the rest. Their money is green too, how come every other culture has no problem coming here and learning to communicate? If I'm ignorant for expressing how I feel so be it I guess I am! πŸ™‚
OfAMightDivine

May 13, 2008, 10:46 PM
Please let this be a fake post. I don't think I could deal with someone this stupid. PLEASE TELL ME THIS IS A FAKE POST!
MizzSprint

May 13, 2008, 11:56 PM
Lol 🀣 🀣 🀣 🀣
ac4321

May 8, 2008, 12:37 PM
You seem to be forgetting that while they don't speak Enlgish they most certainly do business in US $, not Pesos...

Worst case scenario, you lose business that you didn't have anyway...

But, that business is going to walk across the store or the street and give those US $ to a company and rep who can speak a little bit of Spanish.

You may not like it, but it's reality. It's really not much different than older generations who b!7ch about computers. You can fight it all you want, but you only hurt yourself in the process. If you invest just a little bit of time to learn just basic skills, you can meet 90% of them part way.
MizzSprint

May 8, 2008, 1:09 PM
Meet them halfway when they don't wanna meet me halfway. Yeah I see what you're saying. Like I said people tend to forget there are other cultures here that spend green American dollars too. I have one other guy that speaks a little spanish but he tells customer he doesn't because they're usually a pain in the neck. They usually come back and fourth with issues. So he altogether tell customers he doesn't speak spanish because 99% of the time he ends up with a headache. My point again if no-one speaks Spanish there's no need to get mad, it's not like this company pays you more if you're bilingual. If I found a free spanish class I would apply myself, but until then πŸ™„ . Some say it's better for business which is true, but why won't they ...
(continues)
ac4321

May 8, 2008, 1:18 PM
Here, at least, our Spanish speaking customers come in because their friends or family did before and have referred them. We get traffic because of referrels that we try to take care of them without taking advantage.

As for the customers themselves, language issues aside, I much prefer the average Spanish speaking customer. They are generally far more polite, patient, understanding... and also less greedy and expecting of everything "for free." They are far less likely to complain over petty stuff than the average American, in my experience. That could just be a regional or local thing, though.
Sigma1570

May 8, 2008, 1:42 PM
Its a national thing. Hispanics have been my most loyal customers and follow me between 4 stores. They pay their bills most of the time and usually don't complain about price.
traegon

May 8, 2008, 4:05 PM
It may be a reality, but I wouldn't bitch about losing sales because someone got huffy and walked out because I couldn't speak spanish. I'm not in Mexico, it's not my job as part of buisness or my job as an American. Trust me, you go to any other country that doesn't speak English and get all huffy because they dont speak /your language/ and see the looks you get.

So, the true reality is, this is America, American English is our national language. Not any other language.
MizzSprint

May 9, 2008, 10:39 AM
πŸ™‚ Thank you
took

May 13, 2008, 2:12 PM
Actually everywhere i went in china with the exceptions of Ma and Pa business' there was someone who spoke english... and usually pretty well. (fast food chains cant afford to pay english speakers so they have picture menus ready to go) It is better business... There you can bet americans go where they can ask for extra towels without worry. Like people have said, Spanish speaking customers stay where they are treated well. At my stores we have one guy who speaks spanish and i will give them his business card with a phone number they can call him to schedule an appointment if they want... My thoughts are, i cant help them but my friend can. More business for my store. If he wasnt here i would direct them to a store that i know does. Dont bit...
(continues)
MizzSprint

May 13, 2008, 8:29 PM
...and don't Bitch because I don't speak spanish. Like I said in a prior post they don't want to learn I don't either. I also pass the customers off to my co worker, but she's a part timer when she's not here what can I do? Next time I'll just call one of you guys to translate for me. Yeah that's what I'll do.
lxav06

Jun 9, 2008, 12:11 PM
kudos, I agree.
I did not want to bring up the native american case but that is true, the pendulum swang in favor of the european immigrants when the natives where taken over. Now it swings back.

I guess mizzsprint is right to a degree, some don't have the passion to learn another language,I say why not?

I love to hear and learn of other cultures, and knowing thier language is a great asset.
incedentally non "foreign" (sp?) languages for me are spanish and english.
Sigma1570

May 8, 2008, 1:38 PM
Get over it. Grow up. Get a new job.
MizzSprint

May 8, 2008, 1:58 PM
I love people like you, this is an area where we can vent so I will vent. I knew of course there would be one person talking smack. If you got offended because I spoke how I felt in a respectful manner then you have the growing up to do.Getting another job won't make non english speaking people not exist come better than that. Why don't you get out of this forum if you feel people aren't allowed to vent.
johnnyslick

May 8, 2008, 9:41 PM
Or are you always like this?

Whatever the case may be, the company that you work for does not give two farts about people "not speaking the language". They want to go out of their way to appeal to this population. You know why? A lot of ESL people don't have cell phones yet. The English First!!! crowd is pretty much saturated - the only way one of the big companies gains one of those folks is by taking them away from a competitor.

Also, as noted elsewhere, people on their first cell phone tend to have less of a sense of entitlement than people on their 5th.
MizzSprint

May 9, 2008, 10:53 AM
Where the hell do you live? do you even work in the wireless industry if not you cannot talk. There are people that go straight to get a cell phone with their passport not just spanish speaking people either.

I have no problem with people like always people on this forum tend to take things over the extreme but someone can post here negative stuff about different races and nobody says anything about it. I say how I feel in a thread that's meant for that specific reason, and of course I get that one person who says I'M IGNORANT. Good one πŸ™‚

anyway while you may feel how you feel I still feel the way I feel, there are little towns that have more spanish people than anything, but I work in one of the richiest counties in NJ. about 80% ...
(continues)
cheaperatwalmart

May 8, 2008, 1:56 PM
For all of you that say we should learn spanish to be able to speak to these customers. Would you go to Germany and pissed they don't speak english? Would you go to France and be mad they didn't speak english? What's the difference? If you are going to move to another country you should at least try to learn the language. Maybe we should all know spanish but what about Chinese customers? and Japanese and every other customer that moved here from another country? Should I learn eighteen different languages just so that no one will have to learn english or would it just be easier if they all learned one.
MizzSprint

May 8, 2008, 1:59 PM
Thank you!!! or like the other guy said we should just grow up get over it or get a new job
took

May 13, 2008, 2:17 PM
Actually i hear in france they take multiple languages in HS... Usually english and an elective language... German or spanish... Reasons, learning english is beneficial, and because of neighboring countries, another never hurts. My sister in Law grew up in china and learned and focused on English literature, but took some french. Her friend learned english french and german. She now lives in Europe.... Learning a neighboring nations language is never a bad idea/ or requirement.
lxav06

Jun 9, 2008, 12:22 PM
I say yes,i cant believe what people are saying about learing other languages, and we work in wireless communication industry. I think one of the key words being communication.
I feel that the more you know the better oppurtunity for self improvement.
leia

May 8, 2008, 3:12 PM
i am mexican b i livute monterrey, mx...here is a call center of sprint...and in my opinion i think mexicans and latinamericans must learn english if they decide to live in there...
leia

May 8, 2008, 3:14 PM
haha sorry i wrote ir wrong....i am mexican but i live in monterrey ,mexico...etc etc etc...
lxav06

Jun 9, 2008, 12:25 PM
And if you love to travel, now you can visit the majority of english speaking countries.
Just have to understand some of the nuances of the country in particular.
OfAMightDivine

May 8, 2008, 10:49 PM
ALL OF YOU SHUT UP ABOUT THE TOPIC.

This horse has been beaten to death multiple times. Here's the skinny as I see it.

Should a business employ people that are bilingual? That depends. If you are in an area that has alot of Spanish/Mexican (and yeah, there is a BIG difference between Spanish, and Mexican. Ask someone from Spain if they talk the same language, and most of the time they'll get offended.) then yeah, it would be stupid of your business NOT to have a Spanish speaking person to assist them. They are NOT required to learn English. It's not a law. If a business operates in an area dense with Spanish./Mexican speaking people then it's retarded if they do not offer that service.

HOWEVER.

If you are in an area that ha...
(continues)
traegon

May 8, 2008, 11:43 PM
Actually, part of that is somewhat inaccurate. The rest I agree with, but someone trying to become a citizen the legal way are required to know a certain level of English before they can gain citizenship. πŸ™‚
MizzSprint

May 10, 2008, 1:03 PM
πŸ™‚
fakename

May 13, 2008, 8:55 PM
😁
took

May 13, 2008, 2:20 PM
I dont like boobies, but dont worry... i wont moove into an area with lots of boobies and complain 😁
OfAMightDivine

May 13, 2008, 10:24 PM
How can you not like boobies? 😳 😳 😳 😳 😳 😳 😳 😳
ihateeverything

May 11, 2008, 4:00 PM
I agree. I hate the fact I need a translator for a non native language. Although I speak fluent English I was born in another country and speak that language as well. I and the rest of my family had to all learn English when we came here legally. Why shouldn't these freeloaders who just use all the money they make so their relatives can live like kings in Mexico? You know they live like mother ****ing kings right? After they save up enough they move back there and start their own businesses with 13 bedroom houses. They rape this country.
ihateeverything

May 11, 2008, 4:20 PM
You know what forget saving up. When they send back money because the dollar to peso ratio, their families that are still there live in giant mansions. I know. I have met these people in a town that is nothing but bars and restaurants and has a giant Mexican population to offer cheap labor. The plus side is it helps out small businesses. The downside is that I have to pay for all the kids they pop out. And they pop out a lot of kids. Mexicans breed like rabbits.
eljeffe666

May 11, 2008, 4:49 PM
i agree had it happen twice yesterday

then they would not leave the store
MizzSprint

May 13, 2008, 8:42 PM
Man, I find it funny that some of you guys are making excuses for people to be here and NOT learn to communicate. Hipocrites I'LL TELL YA, I'm sure you guys are the same people against immigration. If I go to Mexico or Dominican Republic and I catch a fit because nobody learned to speak english, they would look at me like I'm crazy. Oh! but then I would be wrong because I'm in their country and that's their language. No matter if the Indians were still here and their language was the main language what makes you think the people who WON'T learn english now would apply themselves and learn? Why should I go to another country when I'm a citizen here, if I moved to Mexico why wouldn't I learn Spanish It's more opportunity?
johnnyslick

May 13, 2008, 10:25 PM
...because the worldwide stereotype is that Americans are always going into other countries and expecting everyone around them to speak English.

As for the whinging about the fake national language, all I have to say is... perhaps that is part of the reason why your namesake company is losing a million customers a quarter. The company I work at values Spanish-speaking customers so much that we have a dedicated customer service queue for them, and interpreters readily available for situations that queue can't handle. Then again, when you work for a Sprint call center, there's a better than even chance that *you* don't speak English as a first language, so that may be the real underlying issue. "I hate Mexicans who speak Spanish instead of ...
(continues)
MizzSprint

May 13, 2008, 11:55 PM
First off read my first post, and you might want to call the Sprint hotline before you say Sprint doesn't value their spanish speaking customer. Also Sprint is the only carrier that allows a mexican passport and a deposit as low as $150. Call into Sprint they have a prompt for Spanish. But that you, you proved me right any American that goes to another country and whine for english service should be banished. I don't have a problem with hispanic people if you would have read and thoroughly understood, you would have saw that I ONLY have a problem with people that come in my store and get mad at me because I don't speak spanish. I had a co-worker that was black and white and he looked spanish, a customer got mad and cursed at him because he t...
(continues)
USCELLGIRL

May 14, 2008, 3:25 PM
Its nice to see Americans that are passionate. I just wish we could focus all this energy on something that really mattered. America was founded on a dream to live a better life. When the British settled here there were already people here and they did not speak english. So, as someone already stated we should be speaking Native American.

What is great about this country is we are a melting pot of cultures, embrace the country you live in. The country where you are free to practice what ever religion you want, say what you want, live where you want and speak whatever language you want.

Most of us are not first generation American's we speak englsh because we were born here. I am willing to bet that the majority of us have someo...
(continues)
lxav06

Jun 9, 2008, 12:36 PM
yeah but some if those translator sites, do not translate properly.
motodude69

May 15, 2008, 7:11 PM
"You know I don't speak spanish!"
I Sell Phones

May 17, 2008, 11:45 AM
Oh my goodness... πŸ™„

Me too, I have had this problem plenty of times. Although I am in Texas, I feel the same way about this whole Spanish and English thing. My view, if you are going to go to a foreign country, to live there or whatever, learn the freakin pro-dominant language. And I mean that toward everybody traveling to a foreign place.

When my mother came to the U.S.of A, she learned how to speak English. When my Dad went to go live and work in Germany, he learned 3 different Dutch dialects.

So to anyone who tells me that it is my responsibility to learn Spanish if I am working in the customer service field and doing so in Texas, GO PISS ON A POWER LINE!!!!
JOKER

Jun 9, 2008, 3:23 PM
I THINK IF YA CANT SPEAK ENGLISH IT GET THE **** OUT....YOU COME OVER HERE TO LIVE I WILL NOT AND SHALL NOT LEARN YOUR LANGUAGE LEARN MINE BIOTCH
Sonniku

May 17, 2008, 12:05 PM
I know what ya mean. I swear I hate it when the first words out of any spanish speaking customer's mouth are "Speak the spanish?". Not "hi", not "excuse me, but...", just "Speak the spanish?". No, i don't speak it, do you speak english?

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.