Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 26 replies

Dumb.

OfAMightDivine

Apr 21, 2008, 11:53 AM
Taken right from the news page.

https://www.phonescoop.com/news/ »

"Samsung engineers have created a new process that will allow ordinary tap water to provide the electrical power for mobile phones. Water stored in the phone will contact a metal plate. The reaction between the plate and water will create hydrogen gas. The hydrogen gas is then funneled into a fuel cell, where it will further react with oxygen to create electrical power. Because the reactions can generate up to three watts of power, these water-based fuel cells will be powerful enough to be used in devices such as mobile phones. Current versions of the fuel cell can provide power for about 10 hours, and the metal cartridge needs to be replaced about once every five days...
(continues)
custservguru

Apr 21, 2008, 12:04 PM
That.... is just asking for trouble to the millions of moronic people in this world.
OfAMightDivine

Apr 21, 2008, 12:08 PM
The thought of actually having to say "I'm sorry you poured water all over your phone instead of inside it, but that does void the warranty." gives me an enormous headache already.
custservguru

Apr 21, 2008, 12:13 PM
Sigh....

"But it said to put the water in the phone. I thought it was like filling a water gun.. that's not the same?"

๐Ÿ˜ณ
OfAMightDivine

Apr 21, 2008, 12:17 PM
"But I thought the phone needed water to live? That's why I jumped in the pool with it!"

-OR-

"What do you mean I can't keep fish in my phone? It has water in it, and fish need water! I want your supervisor!"
custservguru

Apr 21, 2008, 12:31 PM
"So, I thought, if the phone needs water to work, it would DEFINETLY work better if I took it scuba diving. I mean, the more water, the better, right? I was misinformed. I want a new phone or I'm cancelling my service! And no, I won't be paing the cancellation fee. My lawyer will see to that!"
sho0g

Apr 21, 2008, 12:34 PM
HAHAH!!!

You didnt say what kind of water so i used lake water, creek water, vitamin water!!!!
BigShowJB

Apr 21, 2008, 2:51 PM
dont forget the people on nthe coasts that put seawater in it
sho0g

Apr 21, 2008, 5:42 PM
LOL yeop and the ppl up north putting snow in it!!!!
BigShowJB

Apr 21, 2008, 7:45 PM
sho0g said:
LOL yeop and the ppl up north puttingyellow snow in it!!!!

fixed

that is if they dont eat it first!
vreaper

Apr 21, 2008, 1:58 PM
o god... it hurts to even think about the stupid people this is going to bring into the store.
drinalu

Apr 21, 2008, 6:13 PM
eeeesh. I don't even want to think about it. I just cross my fingers that they make the phone...waterproof? Ugh...
OfAMightDivine

Apr 21, 2008, 2:07 PM
I think we should all get together and go beat some sense into those Samsung engineers.
custservguru

Apr 21, 2008, 2:21 PM

Let's GO! ๐Ÿ˜
downphoenix

Apr 22, 2008, 10:52 PM
no way. These new batteries will help bring about tons of exciting new stories on here.
eljeffe666

Apr 21, 2008, 2:16 PM
first of all we are dealing with an amount of electricity that probably does not have the power to actually shock u ie. go touch either end of a aaa, aa,c, or d cell or a 9 volt battery for that matter did u get shocked no u did not

B if it is not a safe technology they would not be pushing it for every thing from cars, home, and cell phones

and if u say but still what happens if
just send me ur email i will show u some pics of an ordinary cell phone battery that blew up and cause 3rd degree burns on some poor kid
OfAMightDivine

Apr 21, 2008, 2:32 PM
What does getting shocked have to do with how stupid it is to release a phone that will void the warranty when you charge it for the first time?

Dude, I've seen kids get terrible 3rd degree burns from Jawbreakers candy that have exploded (don't believe me? Look it up on your own then.)

The point of my post (which is confirmed with the following jokes made about water and phones, if you read the replies to the OP) is not that anyone will get shocked.

The point is that it's STUPID AND DUMB to make a cellphone powered by water. People will bitch when it voids their warranty.

Fine. Say they build a water proof phone then. People will bitch about how much it costs. Don't forget about the people actually dumb enough to actually h...
(continues)
custservguru

Apr 21, 2008, 2:45 PM
๐Ÿคฃ
eljeffe666

Apr 21, 2008, 4:28 PM
on that they are gonna do one of two things

make a water proof phone which will not raise the price of the phone because its already gonna be a freakishly expensive phone the way its is just due to the fact that it is a fuel cell phone

or they are gonna designed the phone so that u can fill it up with out actually being attached to the phone
we will have to wait till they come out for that

and it really is not a "dumb" concept
right now we are using lithium ion batteries for every thing from cameras, laptops, cell phones, and basically every thing else that uses rechargeable batteries

and what does the average consumer do with them they through them away so they end up sitting somewhere with all the other garbage leaking its...
(continues)
OfAMightDivine

Apr 21, 2008, 4:32 PM
๐Ÿ™„
eljeffe666

Apr 21, 2008, 4:37 PM
dont roll ur eyes at me ๐Ÿคจ
OfAMightDivine

Apr 21, 2008, 4:49 PM
Water as an insulator? Yeah, if you happen to be using distilled water. How many customers will be smart enough to figure that out? Remember, they're not designing it to run on distilled water. They're designing it to run on tap water, which I would never consider to be pure water, no matter what faucet it comes out of. If you're not using pure, 100% distilled water, then it will be a conductor, not an insulator.
golem22

Apr 21, 2008, 5:38 PM
It does not matter if the water is distilled or not when stupid people trash there phones refueling them it will be a big headache.

Never underestimate human stupidity.
eljeffe666

Apr 21, 2008, 5:48 PM
if they put tap water it it they are morons

so not my problem

thanks for that pure water i could not think of that for some reason ๐Ÿคญ
custservguru

Apr 21, 2008, 6:27 PM
I think the whole point OfAMightDevine was trying to make, was the customer will be stupid when it comes to this type of phone. The idea is smart, but, if you deal the stupidity level of customers on a daily basis, then you should realize this is what will happen if people have a phone like this. It's bound to happen.
eljeffe666

Apr 21, 2008, 7:21 PM
for some reason i don't see a phone coming out that "runs of water" that will easily be damaged by water
GWaLK

Apr 21, 2008, 2:24 PM
i think they will develop a process that wont allow for some of these retarded situations you guys are talking about. Although im sure ppl will find ways to eff up obviously simple ideas

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.