Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 43 replies

Insurance

softshoe

Apr 8, 2008, 9:40 PM
I have a gripe for most cell phone company employees. I work for a cell phone insurance company that will remain nameless. I am sick of customers complaining to me that when they were sold the insurance they were told it would cover EVERYTHING. This is completely untrue. If you can find me a car insurance company that would cover racing accidents with the same premium as a 26 yr old woman I would be all up for it. A word of advice to all you sales associates. You can't fully disclose what the insurance policy covers by law but you can tell the customer. "Get the insurance, read and understand the insurance policy with in one month. Then make a decision if you want to continue or cancel the insurance." That way I stop getting called a f**ckin...
(continues)
ac4321

Apr 8, 2008, 11:44 PM
When customers ask me, "does it cover everything" I usually reply something like,

"well, most everything. Purposefully damaging it, nuclear events, war, police actions, etc aren't covered."

🤣
lxav06

Jun 1, 2008, 3:31 PM
youy forgot "acts of GOD"
robtheman

Apr 9, 2008, 12:24 AM
softshoe said:
"Get the insurance, read and understand the insurance policy with in one month. Then make a decision if you want to continue or cancel the insurance."

If I said this, no one would get insurance, and you wouldn't have a job. Thanks for playing.
softshoe

Apr 9, 2008, 10:28 AM
Not exactly. Insurance is a great thing to get if you know what you are paying for. I guess my expectation of customer service is a bit too extreme. You must work for Sprint.
charliegirl

Apr 9, 2008, 10:39 AM
SO what doesn't insurance cover? I don't work for a store so please tell me.
I AM GOD

Apr 9, 2008, 12:16 PM
that would require him to get off his high horse. No, rob doesn't work for sprint. What a jerk.
charliegirl

Apr 9, 2008, 12:24 PM
but if insurance doesn't cover it can't they say they lost it?
robtheman

Apr 9, 2008, 2:37 PM
They could, but that would be insurance fraud.
charliegirl

Apr 9, 2008, 3:18 PM
But doesn't insurance cover? I'm being serious, not sarcastic. I'm paying $6 a month and have only made 1 claim in 3 years, I would like to know.
ajstrong

Apr 9, 2008, 3:55 PM
read the fine print on the website, in the brochure, whatever... they have limitations as to what they will and will not cover; attempting to mislead them by saying it's one thing when it's actually another, if that can be uncovered, would be fraudulent. if the customer's smart enough to think of that on their own (1.0002% of the time, generously) they'll do it on their own. usually, we have to say fraud.
robtheman

Apr 9, 2008, 4:36 PM
It covers accidental damage. If you're on the phone, trip, fall over, and your phone lands in a puddle...that's covered. If you want to see if your phone can survive a dip in the fish tank...not covered. It's pretty much commmon sense.
charliegirl

Apr 9, 2008, 4:39 PM
I had my phone stolen and they replaced it without a police report. I would just think that if I didn't think the insurance would cover it I would claim it stolen or lost. I know it's fraud but as if you only make a claim once every couple of years then I don't see the harm.
robtheman

Apr 9, 2008, 4:42 PM
Sure. There's nothing wrong with breaking the law as long as you only do it occasionally.

The insurance companies I've dealt with used to require police reports for stolen phones. They don't any more. I don't know why, but I would assume it's because police departments have more important things to do than file paperwork for someone's cell phone. Just like they have more important things to do than worry about a kid's stolen iPod. Same thing to me.
ecast7969

Apr 9, 2008, 4:45 PM
WELL AS LONG AS U CAN GET AWAY WITH IT WHY NOT U HAVE TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF IT SOME HOW SO WHY NOT LIE!!!
robtheman

Apr 9, 2008, 4:50 PM
Uh huh. And if businesses gave up everything to lying customers because they demanded it, there wouldn't be a business world. Everyone would be bankrupt.
softshoe

Apr 11, 2008, 11:04 PM
There are many types of insurance policies and the cell phone companies out there choose to buy what the customer gets. Different cell phone companies state that they want more claims to be covered therefor they buy a loose policy, if they want less claims covered they buy a stricter policy. If you have ever had a dealing with a cell phone insurance company that didn't cover a claim you thought should have been covered look towards you own Corporate managers for the answer. They purposefully bought a policy that doesn't cover a whole lot or allow us in the insurance industry to take a look at the bigger picture or ask digging questions. We ONLY supply what your company choose to buy.

I think that Sprint is the worst for what they bought a...
(continues)
I AM GOD

Apr 12, 2008, 10:52 AM
I've only had positive experiences with assurion with Sprint...... A busted Sanyo m1 got me a new Razr2, a water-damaged sierra aircard 580(rev o) turned into a sierra aircard 595(rev a).

On a general note, they cover all phones, including pdas, for the same $50 deductable. I could see this costing Sprint more than at&t for instance, who doesn't insure most pdas, but it makes things simpler and keeps people happy. Please elaborate....
InsuranceGuru

May 4, 2008, 5:56 AM
I realize this is a long overdue response, but just in case you didn't know...

Sprint/Nextel actually splits their insurance between two companies, Asurion and The Signal. One is described above by "I AM GOD", while the other covers very little, thanks to the basic policy that Sprint/Nextel purchased.

If a claim isn't covered, it's one of two reasons:

1. Customer Error

2. Not Coverable Under The Purchased Policy

For the most part, things like "Incident/Accident Only" based insurance are not the Insurance Companies fault. It's just the terms that were purchased by their carrier. If they're angry, talk to corporate. I realize that won't do much, but that's the facts.
Michaelp944

Jun 29, 2008, 8:55 PM
AMEN Guru!!
lxav06

Jun 1, 2008, 3:43 PM
same here i reported a lost mogul, got it replaced, the only issue i had was that, they said for $$ more i could have it shipped in 2 days, paid and still took the 7 days.
but i ussually get brand new in box phones. plus that also applies to in store new in box replacements as well. especially when i go in to a slow store less that 45 min sometimes even 30 min and i am out the door wih a new phone.
labellavita

May 4, 2008, 6:15 PM
robtheman said:
Sure. There's nothing wrong with breaking the law as long as you only do it occasionally.
blockquote>

Oh good God you pansys! Insurance fraud for a cell phone? Sounds like theres a couple people on their high horses today. Everyone on here spends all their time worrying about **** that doesnt matter/concern them. Who cares if someone tells the insurance company their phone is lost/stolen if they really broke it? Does it affect any of you? No...it doesnt...you guys just always need something to bitch about. Get back to work you wimps
robtheman

Apr 9, 2008, 2:40 PM
On the one hand, you're saying that reps should just hand a brochure to customers to inform themselves of insurance. Then you think your expectation of customer service is too extreme. How is handing a brochure to someone and saying "educate yourself" customer service at all?

I don't know what your original complaint is about. My best guess would be people calling in expecting you to do a warranty exchange.
johnnyslick

Apr 9, 2008, 2:57 PM
Also, I can't really think of very many instances in which insurance would decline a claim when it's not something a person with the IQ of toast would understand would not be included. Take a hammer to your phone on purpose? It is reasonable not to cover that, whether you were specifically told not to practice your carpentry like Jesus or not. You just want to replace your phone and the phone company won't do it because there isn't actually anything wrong with it? I would say "think about it" but really you don't have to think about that.

As for people raising a stink about the above things in a store, we all know that people will do this about virtually anything, not because they are really that stupid but because they know that if you m...
(continues)
lxav06

Jun 1, 2008, 3:45 PM
i agree with that to a point
SprintTechMN

Apr 9, 2008, 11:10 AM
So you're one of the sales reps that has to resort to lying in order to make money?
ajstrong

Apr 9, 2008, 1:30 PM
yes, he has. 🙄

he was responding to a ridiculous claim from a frusterated ins. employee, which by the way is baseless. I don't put insurance on the plan unless the customer says they want it, but I make darn sure that they know the retail cost of their pretty little "$20" phone. and the customer does have a smidge of responsibility as well, unless we wanna enable the nanny state sooner than we're gonna. no wars on that last statement, pls.
robtheman

Jun 30, 2008, 7:42 PM
I don't know a single cell phone company that pays commission on selling the insurance. I don't lie about it either. So no, I'm not lying to people to make money.

Handing someone a brochure and telling them to read up on it and make their own decision is the quickest way for insurance sales to go through the floor if not stop completely. If that was the tactic used by every rep in the country, no one would be selling insurance. If no one is selling insurance, this guy is out of a job. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that if you let these people walk out the door, they're not going to take the time to stop and actually think about insurance later.
jwinch04

Apr 9, 2008, 11:41 AM
most reps neway just do what there sup or company tells them to say. i just read off in the disruption box for the insurance. water, electrical, normal ware n tare, theft and lost phones.
I AM GOD

Apr 9, 2008, 12:20 PM
When I want a new phone from you I just say that I lost it....... 🤣
sevikath

Apr 12, 2008, 6:40 PM
I have a better Idea... as a sales rep read everything you are selling. If you are selling insurance be able to tell your customers what they are paying a monthly fee for. If I dont tell them they wont buy it and I wont get any GP from the sale. You wont get into trouble unless you are just so eager to get the sale you are in a sense (lying) about insurance to make it sound good Thats my opinion.
I_need_a _new_job

Apr 13, 2008, 4:04 PM
I feel the same way as softshoe, if only the carrier would give the customer the correct information and have them read there policy then things would go alot smoother for both the insurance, carrier and the customer. Also carriers need to tell the customer what there REAL deductible is and not some random amount. I am sick of being cussed out because the deductible isn't what the carrier rep told them, and the deductible is right there in there policy if they would just read it.

Unfortunately how can we expect our customers to read there policy and understand it if the carrier reps won't.
OfAMightDivine

Apr 13, 2008, 4:39 PM
You all assume that the reps aren't telling the customers. Believe me, customers are told 95% of the time. People lie. All. The. Time. They want it for free. What I find usually happens is :

1. Customer gets phone, adds insurance, rep explains deductible, and have to call the Insurance company for a replacement.

2. Customer showers with phone. Wonders why it doesn't work. Calls Care/goes to store.

3. Store agent tells custie all about Water Damager. Tells to call Insurance. Advises deductible.

4. Customer claims never told about deductible before, and won't pay it. Then tells store agent phone never got wet. Store agent repeats information to customer 4 times. Customer calls care from store, repeats story to Care agent. Care age...
(continues)
I_need_a _new_job

Apr 13, 2008, 6:23 PM
if that's the case then why is it usually one carrier in particular that we are having issues with?
sevikath

Apr 14, 2008, 12:22 PM
You have the same issues with the other companies you just arent hearing about them in this discussion.

And I agree with OfAMightDivine. Thats seems to be what occurs. And an insurance guy cant tell a wireless rep what he should be doing.... We deal with much different issues (however I am sure just as frustrating). And I am not saying Our (Wireless rep) jobs are harder. All customres are different and ALWAYS have an issue. They will do anything to get stuff for free. And Lying usually works because of this, the miscomunication between reps, customer care, and insurance companies.
d3ity

Jun 2, 2008, 11:51 AM
Which carrier if you can say? Big Red? Big Pink? Little Yellow? Spherical Death Orb?

Just curious.
Michaelp944

Jun 29, 2008, 8:54 PM
In my Experience its The Little Yellow Fellow whose a Nightmare!
ihateeverything

May 4, 2008, 5:19 PM
Depends who it is you work for. Insurance from the cell carrier directly covers absolutely anything that happens to the phone, minus deductable of course. If you don't like your shady company (and it sounds like you sell extended warranties or something else thats kind of like insurance but totally isnt) then get a different job. Example...I have tmobile insurance..my phone breaks or is lost...I get a new one minus deductable. Wow, that was easy. Thanks for playing.
softshoe

May 31, 2008, 6:36 PM
Um Your Wrong.

I have T-Mobile service and I have read the insurance policy front to back and there are things that it does not cover which are very similar to other cell phone insurance policies. I'm not even going to attempt to respond to the Extended Warranties.
ihateeverything

Jun 1, 2008, 5:31 PM
softshoe said:
Um Your Wrong.

The conjunction between "you" and "are" is you're. Not "Your" as you improperly phrased it.

Next time why don't you pick a point to argue instead of being all "nu uh you wrong you so wrong me suckee suckee cheap long time".
OfAMightDivine

Jun 2, 2008, 12:19 AM
What about the HUNDREDS of escalated calls that I've alone taken from the Insurance company because they tell customer that they can get all their own downloads, ringtones, games and wallpapers back after they file an insurance claim?

You have to remember that WE don't know all of your policies, just like you don't know OURS.

Remember, too, that some insurance companies forbid Carrier agents from selling, or explaining their product openly. They can only add it IF the customer even asks for it.
Pious Goddess

Jun 30, 2008, 5:44 AM
I have to agree. I mean since Soft shoe wants to come on here and rant about misinformation... I can name tons of things that the Insurance company has done to make reps jobs hell. "You're eligible for an upgrade." -Yeah next year!, "AT&T will ship you out a new phone, I will note your account." - Oh sure.... It's even it goes back and forth. Tons of people give out misinformation. Sure all we do is add Insurance tell them the charge every month, the amount of the deductible if they must file a claim. And what it generally will cover, not a detailed listing. If they inquire more just tell them they have so many days to add it, and they can go to such and such website or call you. I work in a call center, and can't stop to think sometimes wh...
(continues)
d3ity

Jun 2, 2008, 11:42 AM
Maybe if asurion decided to pay retail employees to sell the insurance, I'd actually spend some time covering it in detail. As it stands right now, I'm required to ask them, "hey, do you want insurance on this phone? theres a $50 deductible and it's 4.99 a month"

There is no diffrence in whether they get it or not, at least not to my paycheck. I reccomend it because it's saved my ass in the past, but if you want me to spend 15 minutes going over it in detail, ****ing pay me.

I sell phones, not insurance. Change that, and you might get fewer calls. My job is not to make yours a cakewalk.
rjsumthin

Jun 30, 2008, 7:04 PM
The thing is it’s not that we so much give a flip about whether or not they have the insurance ALL the time.  It’s these basic facts that make it a dilemma and a pain in the ace to a normal rep.
1: They are knowingly giving it to a child, or irresponsible relative/friend whatever, leaving it unprotected believing their perfect angel or buddy would never mess it up, then get mad when their phone gets dropped in the first month and they have to pay for a new one.
2:  They get an attitude and become extremely obnoxious or hateful because they have to pay for a phone they destroyed.
3:  Very very very few customers will ever admit they did something wrong, even if it can be proven.
That being said, you can throw math a...
(continues)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.