Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 39 replies

Self-admitted Grammar Nazi's - UNITE!

StarryNight

Mar 26, 2008, 12:40 PM
Hey kids, I have no interest in jumping in on this fight. I don't even have enough time to keep up on the back and forth and figure out who's right/wrong, or who said what when. This post has nothing to do with making anyone look bad, feel bad, or think badly of me.

That being said, I'd just like to toss out there that I am, in fact, a grammar nazi. I have gotten used to the fact that I am a rare breed and there aren't many people out there like me, so I usually keep my mouth shut when it comes to battles of "typing" and "grammar".

I just want to throw a line out there to anyone who might be a grammar nazi like me. A friend of mine actually puts intentional grammatical errors in his e-mails, simply because he knows it drives me batty....
(continues)
cellphoneguy26

Mar 26, 2008, 12:58 PM
well i am like that but only on speech not so much typing and I only do that to my friends! ๐Ÿ™‚
StarryNight

Mar 26, 2008, 1:05 PM
๐Ÿคจ

I'm just kidding.

I think most people (most, mind you...) speak with good grammar. I'm talking more to the people who read your post and cringed at the "I" not being capitalized.

Again, I'm definitely not discrediting you, or your ability to communicate, and I'm DEFINITELY not saying I'm better than you. In fact, I think I'm worse off than you because this stuff actually gets under my skin. Perhaps we can suffice it to say that I'm just slightly less sane? ๐Ÿ™‚
cellphoneguy26

Mar 26, 2008, 2:15 PM
your silly ๐Ÿ˜›
tgoace

Mar 27, 2008, 10:13 AM
I'm in the same boat as you. Bad text messages irk me too.
sammish

Mar 31, 2008, 4:05 PM
I am just as bad. I work in a kiosk and our manager put signs on everything so visiting employees would know where to find stuff... and the signs go something like this:

Phone's
PDA's
Aircard's
Battery's
Leather Case's

*slams head into desk repeatedly* ๐Ÿ‘ฟ
smiliey

Mar 31, 2008, 5:15 PM
lol, he tries to look smart with the apostraphies (how ever its spelt) sorry my nazi amigos =)
StarryNight

Apr 1, 2008, 11:01 AM
Oh god, that would make me nuts.

You must have the patience of a saint not to rip off those signs.
ralph_on_me

Mar 26, 2008, 1:21 PM
Are you talking about people who say things like, "PIN Number," ARGH!!!!!!

That kind of crap gives me chills every time I hear it.
cellphoneguy26

Mar 26, 2008, 2:16 PM
more than that if you dont use a word correctly in a sentence it bugs me
techknowitall

Mar 26, 2008, 2:20 PM
can I ask why?
cellphoneguy26

Mar 26, 2008, 2:22 PM
i dont know to be honest ive just always been that way however i wont do that to complete strangers
techknowitall

Mar 26, 2008, 2:24 PM
This whole thing was not about grammar it was the fact that I felt attacked even though I was not involed. Just the fact of someone retyping my stuff was child like. but I'm sorry to offend anybody.
cellphoneguy26

Mar 26, 2008, 2:26 PM
Dude your ok i wasnt talking about you
techknowitall

Mar 26, 2008, 2:42 PM
I know .....but thank you for the concern im trying to make my grammar better. Knowing I'm talking to someone that is higher than me in this matter.
Foamy

Mar 26, 2008, 1:18 PM
I'll admit I am the same way. I've, more or less, gotten used to it because that's the way it is. I sure as hell don't like it though. It makes me wonder how they talk in real life.
techknowitall

Mar 26, 2008, 1:46 PM
dont get me wong I know I need help with grammar. But do they have to rub it in my face that i type faster than I think in my head?
StarryNight

Mar 26, 2008, 1:49 PM
Hey, as I said, I'm not here to split hairs over who uses grammar properly and who doesn't, so I won't validate/invalidate any arguements on the subject. All I can say in that regard is that if someone's going to remark on someone else's grammar, they'd better be sure they're near perfect, or risk the natural ridicule to follow.
techknowitall

Mar 26, 2008, 1:57 PM
I'm sorry i didn't mean for you to validate or invalidate anything but yes i know your about to jump out of your seat reading this so i just wish to say sorry.. I know that there are people out there that are like you so in my defense i just never got the grammar thing sorry ๐Ÿ˜ข
StarryNight

Mar 26, 2008, 2:10 PM
Well, the apology is greatly appreciated ๐Ÿ˜

As I said before, over the years I've come to accept that I'm the weird one, and not the other way around, so I definitely don't get frustrated when people aren't as anal as I am. If I did get stressed about it, I probably would've offed myself by now, considering that speaking in abbreviations is now an acceptable form of communication (OMG! HIH! LMAO!). I honestly just worry about the future of our country, you know? I realize that with everything being digital now-a-days, it's easy to go your whole life without actually touching a pen to a piece of paper, but I shudder to think what the long term impact will be on America.
techknowitall

Mar 26, 2008, 2:14 PM
ummm i cant say but what i can tell you is the the art of pen is dying.... dying fast as now we talk this way what next mind reading?
StarryNight

Mar 26, 2008, 2:29 PM
I know, it's a reality I hesitate to accept. Along with my GN-dom (that's Grammar-Nazi-dom, for those just joining us), I happen to have a small pen fetish. I almost wish I was still in school, just so I had another excuse to go buy new pens...

Wow.
๐Ÿ‘€

Did anyone else read that?

๐Ÿ˜Ž I'm just kidding. I've accepted my crazy.
techknowitall

Mar 26, 2008, 2:44 PM
๐Ÿ˜ I miss the days walking up to a pencil sharpener ๐Ÿ˜
MizzSprint

Mar 26, 2008, 2:26 PM
Hate to be a jerk, but doesn't this belong in The Lounge?
cellphoneguy26

Mar 26, 2008, 2:28 PM
lol
StarryNight

Mar 26, 2008, 2:30 PM
Oops, my bad. I guess the title should've read "Self-admitted Grammar Nazi's Who Work For Cell Phone Carriers - UNITE!". I'll keep it in mind next time. ๐Ÿ˜Ž
cellphoneguy26

Mar 26, 2008, 2:32 PM
That is to funny ๐Ÿคฃ ๐Ÿคฃ ๐Ÿคฃ ๐Ÿคฃ ๐Ÿคฃ ๐Ÿคฃ your funny
MizzSprint

Mar 26, 2008, 2:33 PM
Maybe that'll work next time! ๐Ÿคจ
StarryNight

Mar 26, 2008, 2:38 PM
To be quite honest, I don't pay attention to/participate in any section of the forums but this one. I have a tough enough time trying to keep up on who hates who this week in Shop Talk to even breech The Lounge. Feel free to report the thread and have it deleted if it's that big of a deal. I'm fine with continuing to spend my day reading up on the "drama" that categorizes it's self as "Shop Talk".
techknowitall

Mar 26, 2008, 2:40 PM
๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ฒ ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ฒ ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜
cellphoneguy26

Mar 26, 2008, 2:42 PM
i agree with you you are cool i got your back ๐Ÿ˜Ž
techknowitall

Mar 26, 2008, 2:39 PM
well as long as people still use pens i guess that we can write right?
OfAMightDivine

Mar 26, 2008, 11:48 PM
How are you typing if you have no arms or hands?
ralph_on_me

Mar 27, 2008, 12:11 AM
He has a program that translates what he says into words, only it misspells everything and says ur instead of your.
princessn1984

Mar 31, 2008, 2:44 PM
remembered this guy I saw on 20/20. He was born without arms and legs, has no hands, and has basically a little foot with 2 toes on it and he types! He also draws & writes.
techknowitall

Mar 26, 2008, 2:48 PM
Does the fact of us talking about grammar bother anybody? Well if it does sorry but come on this is a true fact we as customer reps have to deal with right?
cellphoneguy26

Mar 26, 2008, 2:55 PM
especially if you get a "call from the hood" right. ๐Ÿ˜
techknowitall

Mar 26, 2008, 2:57 PM
๐Ÿ˜ right
OfAMightDivine

Mar 27, 2008, 1:07 AM
People not knowing the difference between "your" and "you're" is like nails on a chalkboard to me. Same thing with "their, "they're" and "there". Also with "ur" and "b4". Ugh. I got chills down my spine.
StarryNight

Mar 27, 2008, 10:15 AM
How flippin' hard can it be?

You're = You Are. Any time you say "your", re-read your sentence. Could you say "you are" instead and have it still make sense? If so, YOU'RE using the wrong form of the word. Frick.

I'm not even gonna get halfway through explaining "there", "their" and "they're" without having a hemmorage, so you're on your own for that one. Just THINK. That's all I ask.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.