Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 17 replies

return policy

ajstrong

Mar 10, 2008, 7:52 PM
me: me
OL: old lady

OL: I need to exchange this phone, I can't see it in my purse, it doesn't ring nearly loud enough for me, blah blah.

me: (examining the phone as I listen) I will need all accessories in order to process the exchange.

OL: O, I have all those at home.

me: do you have the box as well?

OL: no, I didn't keep the box. I threw it away right when I got home.

me: we kinda need the box. it's part of that whole "new" thing. (in so many words)

OL: No one told me that (I sold her the phone; I didn't tell her that the BOX needed to be returned specifically. She's been around, and I thought had common sense)

me: explained return policy, processing fee if not in like new condition, etc.

OL: Well, no ...
(continues)
traegon

Mar 10, 2008, 7:55 PM
I'm not particulry astounded by anything anymore. If you only knew how many times i've heard things like:

"no one told me if I go over my minutes I have to pay!"

"no one told I needed txt'ing coverage or I would be charged!"

And so on and so on. I've learned common sense isn't a good thing to assume everyone has. 😛
ajstrong

Mar 10, 2008, 8:06 PM
this was a nice old bag, if high-maintenance when I sold her the phone. the shocking thing was, she put on the air of bein' rolling in dough, held up her little nose, but was so devoid of common sense that I just couldn't respond without a V8 smack to the forehead.
MauiBuilt

Mar 10, 2008, 10:22 PM
*DUNK*
Coulda had a V8. Classic...
greenteajunkie

Mar 10, 2008, 8:26 PM
What do these people think we're supposed to do with just the phone. Yeah the manufaturer will totally take it back. Wink,wink.
greenteajunkie

Mar 10, 2008, 8:28 PM
Also,when that happens I like to ask the cutomer if they would have bought the phone if we just threw it in a bag, no box, no charger, no nothing? Chances are pretty slim.
OfAMightDivine

Mar 10, 2008, 11:40 PM
Maybe there's more to your story than what I'm getting out of this, and trust me, I cannot tolerate customer ignorance past a certain level.

Not for nothing, but you did admit to NOT telling her the box was needed for a return. She did have a valid point there. On that note, how can you then charge her for $75 because YOU didn't tell her she needed the box to return?

I guess y'all have your own policies, and I'm by no means trying to start an e-fight or anything stupid. Just seemed dumb to me that because you did not disclose your return policy, that the customer would have to pay. (I'm far aware that just about any places take returns only with the original packaging materials, but really, working in this industry, you should know b...
(continues)
ac4321

Mar 10, 2008, 11:55 PM
I don't know about VZW, but Sprint's return policy is printed on the back of receipts.

Besides, it's common knowledge you don't try to return something within the return period without having everything.
OfAMightDivine

Mar 11, 2008, 12:11 AM
I think it's 'common knowledge' because in most stores, at least in my area here, all have their return policies clearly posted. Most stores I've seen that deal with cell phones don't.

It just seemed to me since she was not clearly given the information, that she should not be held accountable for the return fee.
WhoDey

Mar 11, 2008, 8:11 AM
Ignorance is not an excuse.

I didnt see her asking if she needed the box to return it when she bought it.

Look, bottom line is, why would you throw the box away for something you JUST bought.. Ive never understood that, not when I worked at Best Buy, or here, or Verizon..never
freedomcapcity

Mar 11, 2008, 9:08 AM
verizon has its return policy printed on the test drive disclosure forms that every new customer has to sign. its not is fault if she didnt read it. also, so what if he didnt tell her. its still store/company policy that you need the box and all equipment that came with it. so what you're saying is that because one time he forgot to specifically tell one moron that you need the box, he should take the return anyway and risk losing his job for some lady who appearantly is returning a phone for no good reason??
OfAMightDivine

Mar 11, 2008, 12:03 PM
ajstrong said:(I sold her the phone; I didn't tell her that the BOX needed to be returned specifically. She's been around, and I thought had common sense)

That's the part I have the problem with. He admitted to not disclosing the return policy. Everyone in this business knows that people do not read what they should. Just about every agent, sales or care knows not to assume things when it comes to customers, that is if you've been in the industry for more than 3 days of course. You all probably take the time to read your receipts and, being in this industry has probably trained you to do that. Yes, customers should too. Customers do not know better BECAUSE MOST OF THEM ARE STUPID. This is why companie...
(continues)
cc

Mar 11, 2008, 1:29 PM
Someone did say that the return policy was on the paperwork. Granted we all know that customers don't read it, thats not our fault. If I read all the paperwork to the customer they wouldn't buy from me, it would take forever! I do tell people fully our return policy, mostly because what our paperwork says is a bit ambiguos. However when I go over the upgrade/activation documents, which is probably more important. I just touch on the main points, then tell them to make sure to read everything before they sign. In the last year I have had two people actually read through it. I've had many more say "i wasn't told that" I do not consider having not vocally telling them, my fault.
freedomcapcity

Mar 11, 2008, 2:50 PM
while i can see your point i have to disagree. it is the customers responsibility to read their paperwork. i always go over my return policy on phones when i go over the rebate form, but i dont do so with accessories and such, mainly because we dont do returns unless the cust has a really really good reason to return something. but it is not my responibility to be like "so now in 3 days when you decide you dont like this phone heres what you have to do to get something else." sorry but thats poppycock. you bought it. deal with it. if it has a problem, sure i'll exchange it, but if its just cuz you dont like it, sorry you are SOL. if you didnt read the paperwork, you are SOL. people need to be responsible for themselves.
ajstrong

Mar 12, 2008, 9:32 AM
if she really had thrown a fit, and stuck on the "I wasn't told (which she kinda did, a time or two) then it woulda been something different, but a manager came out, and told her the same I was telling her. I guess I'm just tired of covering everyone's arse by assuming all customers need a drool napkin. I agree with you; in this case, since I didn't specifically tell her about the box needing to be part of the return, even though she SHOULD have known by common sense, and it's printed on our receipt, like new, including all components, it even says the word BOX on there... I didn't tell her that. frusterating either way; we lost one customer who's disconnecting in 23 months. darn.
eljeffe666

Mar 11, 2008, 4:45 PM
its all a case of the one person u forget to tell is gonna be the one to return something or everything happens to all of us but does not make the return policy in less valid cause i have it posted in a few different areas
groundhog_day

Mar 11, 2008, 5:18 PM
Even though the return policy should always be voiced to customers, I thought it was common knowledge that to return an item purchased from any retail store you need the box. I mean come on. Have you ever tried to return a DVD to walmart with only the disc and no case?

have ya?
MizzSprint

Mar 11, 2008, 5:45 PM
If he would have told the customer ablout the policy I'm sure she still would have thrown the box away and lied about it if she had to. People will lie to get their way so if YOU have been in the industry long enough then you would know this for a fact. You cannot take a plasma back to Bestbuy witout being charged a restocking fee for not having the items it came with.

You bring half back then I'll give you half of your money back. Like the person said before they would have a fit if we gave them a phone with no box, I've had customers be picky about a dent in the box so lets be real if things don't go their way they'll do anything to get it their way.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.