Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 13 replies

? about using an unlocked phone.

ucantbeserious

Mar 6, 2008, 12:49 AM
ive never had this issue come up until today, i had someone call me saying they had an unlocked verizon phone they wanted to activate on their sprint account. I tried it, of course it didn't work, but what im wondering is, is it supposed to? I thought i'd heard something about it but im not really sure..
traegon

Mar 6, 2008, 12:53 AM
Can you hear me now? 🤣 as far as I know, Verizion and Cingular devices do not function on the sprint network. (which i've always thought was somewhat wierd, as both Verizon and SPrint are CDMA I believe?)
ucantbeserious

Mar 6, 2008, 12:54 AM
i think i dunno, i know that when i roam its on a verizon tower... so who knows...
traegon

Mar 6, 2008, 12:55 AM
hrm.. not sure. I do believe Verizon is actually one of sprints roaming partners.. *looks at clock* AUUGGGHHH.. 7 mins to go. 😈
ucantbeserious

Mar 6, 2008, 12:58 AM
2 minutes!!!! lol
Knightlyjay

Mar 6, 2008, 6:08 AM
Both Verizon and Sprint announced that they are going to allow other devices on their networks. Basic voice functions from devices will be compatible from network to network. Extra functions like mobile web (vzw) or power vision (sprint) will not work. VZW has a special procedure for activating certain Sprint phones. I expect that Sprint corporate has a procedure hidden deep in the bowels of it help system.
phonemechanic

Mar 6, 2008, 10:09 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I thought Sprint only announced that they will let their phones be used on other CDMA networks and not the other way around.. 🤨
Knightlyjay

Mar 6, 2008, 7:28 PM
Maybe I misunderstood the Sprint portion of the articles I read. I work for the big V so I know that side of it.
BigShowJB

Mar 7, 2008, 6:20 PM
Sprint's ESN's are batched in in massive quantities, and the function to add one ESN to the database is not available at this time, nor is it publicly expected to be available.

that is not saying that they will not activate that function at or around the time that verizon does.
vreaper

Mar 6, 2008, 11:01 AM
the whole point of a cdma phone is that it works on a serial number instead of a sim card. that means in order for the phone to work on a network the serial number must be somewhere within the network's system. there may or may not be a way to get a verizon serial number into sprint's system or vice versa, i don't kno. as for the roaming thing, that has nothing to do with a phone being compatible with another provider's service, it's just using that tower to get a signal.

as a side note, what phone was he trying to activate on sprint?
ucantbeserious

Mar 6, 2008, 12:45 PM
i dunno i didn't ask em what kinda phone it was.. they just said it said verizon on the front lol
traegon

Mar 6, 2008, 7:38 PM
Well /that/ narrows it down, doesn't it? 🤣
labellavita

Mar 7, 2008, 9:24 PM
I wish they would never let the phones be unlocked. It will be a huge pain in the ass. I can just imagine one of my stupid sprint customers coming in asking why vz maps dont work or whatever other programs verizon has on their phones. or verizon custs asking why the sprint music store doesnt work. I can just see it now
OfAMightDivine

Mar 8, 2008, 12:32 AM
The sad thing is that it WILL happen. Over, and over again. When I worked with GSM carriers, we'd get them all the time, using a phone from overseas, calling wondering why all the features don't work, and usually expecting credits for their 'inconvenience'.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.