Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 9 replies

Text Message Question??

cilvzwagent

Feb 6, 2008, 6:26 PM
So... only because I'm not sure... Is there a way that you can retrieve the actual text from a txt message once it's been deleted from the phone? Is there like a massive database somewhere that stores each message verbatim that runs through vzw's network? I just had a guy in here that swears there's a way he can get it with a subpoena. I've never heard of a way, but then again, I don't work in the legal department.

Thoughts? Ideas?? Input???
ReaperTut

Feb 6, 2008, 6:44 PM
legal reasons i've heard that they are required to keep certain things on thier HD's .. but for how long, i dunno.
ReaperTut

Feb 6, 2008, 8:02 PM
😁
justiN0six

Feb 6, 2008, 8:41 PM
😲
BigShowJB

Feb 7, 2008, 1:58 PM
is that how they busted kwame kilpatrick? 😁
OfAMightDivine

Feb 6, 2008, 11:31 PM
It is possible with a court ordered subpoena, BUT, it has to be done within 5 days of the message being sent or it is permanently deleted from the systems.
Dj Podmaster

Feb 7, 2008, 7:42 AM
I was told by our tech guys that all txt for the carrier are stored on servers for 72 hours and then deleted. For blackberry pin messages their system is different since they go to a RIM server before bouncing back to our networks and RIM doesn't store the messages. I believe thats why the government uses blackberry's since a PIN is pretty well untraceable. France banned the use of blackberry's in government offices a few years ago since the RIM server is located in the UK. I know the military uses them. Aside from being untraceable in the field they require less signal and send PINs in shorter signal bursts making it harder for the enemy to locate them.
cilvzwagent

Feb 7, 2008, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the feedback. This guy came back in today. Apparantly he got his ATT/Cingular bill and there are several text messages from the same number to his wife's phone. He doesn't know who the number is.

Sounds to me like he's got some problems. #1, a cheating wife, #2, can't get to the txt messages because by the time you get your bill you're past the 72 hour mark for retrieving messages from network, and finally #3...I'm at a VZW agent, nothing to do with Att/Cingular. Closest thing I am to them, is across the street.
BigShowJB

Feb 7, 2008, 2:01 PM
through some dirty investigations he should be able to find out who they are from....
and
A) ask VZW to copy/forward/BCC all sms to his line, (BCC would be the best way)
B) ask VZW to notify him of any SMS that come throug from that #
C) have a little fun and block the SMS for a month
BigShowJB

Feb 7, 2008, 2:03 PM
ask ATT to do those things

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.