Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 15 replies

okay.. honestly..

burntbridges

Jan 27, 2008, 2:54 PM
This may or may not get deleted and I have no intention to offend anyone. But do any of you ever feel that race plays a huge role in the sales and returns that take place in your location? I am getting a strong feeling that it's moreso of a factor than some of us realize.. just wanted to know if anyone else sometimes felt that way?
Wyldchylde

Jan 27, 2008, 6:32 PM
I don't see so much race, but gender.

A lot of people even if I say hi to them, will look right over my head to my male co-worker to ask all the technical questions and plan details and whatnot.

I guess the fact that we're dealing with electronics means its a "man" thing to some people.
burntbridges

Jan 28, 2008, 11:39 AM
Yeah.. I can see that. Our data guy used to be the one that everyone turned to.. I think a lot of people are amazed when we can answer their technical questions because we mainly an all female staff.
Knightlyjay

Jan 27, 2008, 7:17 PM
About the only thing I've seen in our area (upstate NY) is a focus to the spanish speaking reps. I've scheduled myself to take a language course to make sure I'm not losing opportunities. It's been more than a quarter century since high school spanish for me, and all I remember are numbers. Except not when I should, I recently told one of our customers that texting was going from quince to cincuenta cents per message (15 to 50) oops!
burntbridges

Jan 28, 2008, 11:40 AM
Haha, that sounds like something I would do! Yeah, we're getting pretty bilingual down here as well.. I think all of us only know how to say hello and goodbye, haha..
Armand Goldman

Jan 27, 2008, 7:34 PM
I believe people tend to buy and sell to those they are most comfortable with in a retail setting. In my case, the majority of my sales are from the gay community.
burntbridges

Jan 28, 2008, 11:40 AM
.. Whatever works. 🙂
Dj Podmaster

Jan 27, 2008, 8:11 PM
We will all say "no" because it is the politically correct thing to say. 😁 But we all know it does depending on what area your store is in. I just become knowledgeable in my products and if somebody doesn't want to do business with me then thats their loss.
burntbridges

Jan 28, 2008, 12:03 PM
Yeah.. I've been screaming that for the past few years. It's just hard to know what you are doing (almost 4 years now) and have people not give you the time or day.. or waste your time for no good reason. It's extremely frustrating!
BigShowJB

Jan 28, 2008, 12:13 PM
the reason I agree is not just because of the culture or upbringing or any other stereotype some of you may think.

It's just because many returners from one race realize that they won't be able to afford or don't need the service or whatever other reason.

from the other race, they jsut think that "oh well, I 'paid for' the phone when i signed the contract, and that's all I needed to do."

Obviously, education, income and many other factors create the total person, but race lines are also severely bent by those factors as well.
vreaper

Jan 28, 2008, 10:43 AM
if we're talking about a geographic location then yes, that deffinately has an effect on the ratio that makes up our customers in terms of race, religion, nationality, educational backround, sexual preference, ect. but honestly i don't see any kind of pattern that dictates one group of individuals is "better" or "worse" when it comes to customers. example: people percieved to be economically challenged are sometimes very aggressive and can be some of the most obnoxious customers i come in contact with, and i'll admit, i do hesitate before i hit the submit-credit button for these people. however, some of these people have been my favorite customers, the kind that are understanding that i'm a person just like them and are not rude or anythi...
(continues)
burntbridges

Jan 28, 2008, 12:22 PM
yeah, i hear you on that.. but I'm kind of coming from it from the perspective of how the customer perceives and acts towards us. The area I work in now, I grew up in.. and I have watched it steadily decline from a decent middle class neighborhood to a more lower income area. And with that, our clientele has changed. That is expected and normal. It's just extremely hard when you have a customer standing in front you, rolling their eyes and hearing their friend on the other end ask: "oh, they won't help you because they're white girls" No. We can't help you because you eitehr have an out of state number, a way past due balance, an account that's been written off. This happens more often than I care to admit. I have just noticed that c...
(continues)
Arwinjadaninja

Jan 28, 2008, 12:32 PM
I have lived in several different ares through out my life. I grew up an Army brat (well Marines actually).

Some areas definitely had a different feel to them and that was usually caused by the ratio of Race.

I have found that over the last decade or so that the people that were stereotyped and racially abused have now become the racists.

the only way that this can be overcome is through the initial greeting. Influence the persons thoughts in such a way that they no longer see you as a person form a specific race, but another person just trying to get by. 😁

Now class is a slightly different matter. there will always be that stuck sombich that thinks they are better because of the nu bers on ther bi-weekly check. if they are s...
(continues)
burntbridges

Jan 28, 2008, 12:35 PM
I agree with you, but sometimes that is so much easier said than done!! I guess I take things way too personally.. you figure after so long in this industry that whole side of it would wear off. But yeah.. I should have made my inital post include class and gender, etc; I have found that is is definitely a melting pot of all of that. A lot of out of state customers are moving to this area due to us being near such a large city, so I think it's just a few side effects of everyone blending together.. trying to adjust to their new area.

But yeah.. I hear you on the ones that are more concerned about the numbers on their paychecks than being a freakin' human. I almost want to feel bad for them because living like that can't be too terri...
(continues)
Arwinjadaninja

Jan 28, 2008, 12:37 PM
I could use a new house!! 😁 🤤
burntbridges

Jan 28, 2008, 12:55 PM
And I could pay off my car! Hm.. 👀

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.