Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 27 replies

I refused to sell someone a phone....

Jennyboo

Dec 22, 2007, 10:02 PM
tell me if this was wrong because I don't think it was

A woman came up to me and said she upgraded her phone online and had it shipped to her friends house. Her friend is out of town until tomorrow and she needed a working phone now (of course). It was a treo 755 (which I only have one left in stock) and she wanted me to give her the upgrade price on it so she could get it today.

See problem with that is it shows she just upgraded and isn't eligible and my system won't let me override something like that.

So I told her the only way I could sell her a phone would be the full retail price. So she proceeds to tell me that she'll buy it but bring it back as soon as she gets her other one back.

And I told her that I wouldn't sell ...
(continues)
ajstrong

Dec 22, 2007, 10:06 PM
you're good, I've done that too, even on consumer phones. I don't want a master reset and little smudges on a phone that I have to sell, or possibly have to warranty
Jennyboo

Dec 22, 2007, 10:09 PM
that's the thing .... and even if I could I wouldn't want to resell a high end phone like that ya know?
ajstrong

Dec 22, 2007, 10:26 PM
my boss always tries to shift them onto people with a "free car charger" like that makes up for the scratched screen, apps on the phone, etc
Jennyboo

Dec 22, 2007, 10:41 PM
lol nice....

Yea if I'm going to buy a phone that costs a substantial amount I want it to be new...unless I'm buying it off ebay or something
dalily21

Dec 22, 2007, 11:58 PM
if i was getting a pda/smartphone i would not want to get a used phone because im already paying a lot for it. but thats a good idea of offering a free car charger, especially for regular phones
devilsmafia

Dec 22, 2007, 10:46 PM
You did the right thing. I would have done the same. There is no reason to sell someone something knowing ahead of time that they are going to return it the next day. There's no commission for that. She can just deal with not having her phone for a day.
Jennyboo

Dec 22, 2007, 10:48 PM
She was p!ssed but what d'ya do right. It isn't my fault her friend is gone til tomorrow.
dalily21

Dec 23, 2007, 12:03 AM
one of my reps got a call from circuit city saying that they refused to let her buy a phone at full retail price but didnt know why. she wasnt going to exchange it but give it to her brother. any reason why at that point they would not sell her the phone. do reps get commission on full retail?
ayotech

Dec 23, 2007, 12:12 AM
most places don't get anything on full retail... the activation is where the money is...

I once sold 5 sidekick 3's no contract totaling over $2100 and that was the worst thing i did at the job...
poweredup

Dec 23, 2007, 4:29 PM
maybe not at the those places but at corporate we get like $3.50 per phone sold at full retail, but we get around $20 for an act.
we cant refuse someone that wants to buy it at full retail unless we know they have plans to return it (use it as a loner phone)
ayotech

Dec 23, 2007, 12:09 AM
i wouldn't do that either... plus we had it to where it was no returns on phones bought out right.

free phone? maybe...
pda? not a chance...
BigShowJB

Dec 23, 2007, 8:42 AM
absolutely the right call. first of all she was asking for the upgrade pricebecause she wasn't going to return it to you anyway. why didn't she get it shipped to her house? You actually just did more than stop an unnecessary sale and return, you most likely prevented some fraud.

good job for you. because even if she had brought a 755 back to you, my bet is that it wasn't going to be the same ESN
nuckingfuts

Dec 23, 2007, 11:04 AM
I have done what you did too, even though I am not supposed to
I think you were right!
spazebar

Dec 23, 2007, 2:26 PM
Why not offer a loner phone or are the stores around here the only ones that do that?
Jennyboo

Dec 23, 2007, 4:18 PM
No our company will not do loaner phones anymore. Even when I still worked for corporate they didn't
spazebar

Dec 23, 2007, 6:00 PM
I think thats silly the at&t store I use has given me a loner phone twice before when I came in and had to get a waranty replacment. When did we stop doing it for Sprint/Nextel last time I looked into it A friend got a loaner on a nextel account last year.
poweredup

Dec 23, 2007, 2:31 PM
no, you made the right choice, neither i nor my manager will sell you a phone if your intention is to return it within the 30 days. especially if you have already explained your sitituation and we have either heard you say it or know thats what your end result is.
Guy Montag

Dec 23, 2007, 5:41 PM
25% of the phones instore cost to restock it. That keeps people from outright purchasing and returning.
Jennyboo

Dec 23, 2007, 6:09 PM
See we only charge a restocking fee if they don't bring all the components back with the phone.
Guy Montag

Dec 23, 2007, 6:26 PM
You guys should enforce on on outright sales. We charge one for missing components as well. Even if they had activated or upgraded. The 25% charge is only on outrights, should they return them.
pimpdaddy008

Dec 24, 2007, 2:57 PM
i had someone that wanted to buy a high end phone because they were not eligible to upgrade for two weeks so they would buy the phone then do there upgrade in two weeks and return the phone they bought for full retail. I am indirect and told them i would not sell it to them if there intention was to return it after they got the upgrade especially when they said they were doing there upgrade online. she then told me i could not refuse her to buy the phone. I said its my store and i dont have to sell you a phone if i didnt want to. If she never would have said anything then i would of ended up selling it to her outright.
AnWrOoTbEeR

Dec 24, 2007, 3:04 PM
Technically, it is wrong. I say it's not. But the law... The law says it is.

You can't refuse anyone service unless they are being totally beligerant. Granted, you may lose one sale later on, but get over it. I lost 16 yesterday! One is nothing.
BigShowJB

Dec 24, 2007, 5:07 PM
he was not in violation of any law. he was in full rights to refuse service to that customer, knowing that what she was going to do was bordering on retail fraud.

If he had refused to sell that phone to her without knowing she was going to return it, the situation may have been a little different. but that's what restocking fees are for.

We all work for a comppany that sells wireless service, devices and accessorieswith the intenet that those devices stay sold. WE are not loaner agencies.

He made the right call
Jennyboo

Dec 26, 2007, 8:26 AM
He?

lol
BigShowJB

Dec 26, 2007, 8:42 AM
*She*

sorry

🤭 *headdesk*
Jennyboo

Dec 26, 2007, 8:58 AM
🤣 it's all good

but with my sn, being called a "he" was new to me (haha that rhymed...omg I'm tired)

*headdesk x 10*
donkey_kong86

Dec 24, 2007, 4:35 PM
your straight. i mean hell if i was in your situation i'd have done the same thing. plus it would sound kinda dumb if you sold a phone to someone knowing that its gonna come right back. your in the business of selling phones not leasing them

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.