Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 16 replies

being a caucasion bi-lingual salesperson

ReaperTut

Dec 14, 2007, 1:42 PM
I'm originally from the los angelos area, so i grew up in a hispanic neighborhood, we were actually the only "white" family in that area. so over the years i picked up enough spanish to get me by. now, im in a nor cal area almost dominated by white people, but starting to get more of a mixed culture. now, here's my question, should i be looked at like a plague when i greet the customer in english, get ignored, then follow up in spanish???? i've either gotten the "no its ok, im just looking" in broken english, or just the look. i've even had some ask to speak to one of our hispanic sales people.. im like wtf? i can help you just as well, and i may look white, but im farther from it then some of your kids if your raising them up here!! am i wr...
(continues)
AnWrOoTbEeR

Dec 14, 2007, 3:14 PM
I think, You're in America. Learn English. Plain and simple. I can see your point though with the Spanish. In fact, I had a male mexican/spaniard come in and ask in very broken english if anyone spoke spanish. I advised him that I spoke little, but enough to get by. In the end, he was unhappy and had to call our customer care to have a bi-lingual rep relay messages back and forth between us. I learned enough to get by... and you're in America. Just use English! It's much easier for the other Millions and Millions of people in this country.
M15TER P1NK

Dec 14, 2007, 7:37 PM
im a little irish decendant mofo and i learned spanish working here in about two months (enough to handle just about any phone issue) heres the deal with that wanting spanish people to learn english just because they are in america.

america doesnt have a national language. the department of defence has a catagorization system for when you go to learn to be an interpreter for the government...

english is the ONLY cat 5 language (top tier)
spanish is a cat 1 (bottom tier)

its way easier to learn spanish than it is english. plus if you dont want the acts... dont bother with it... more acts for those of us that are more open minded.
Wireless Buddy

Dec 14, 2007, 8:38 PM
M15TER P1NK said:
its way easier to learn spanish than it is english.

I'm glad someone mentioned that.
ReaperTut

Dec 17, 2007, 8:07 PM
from what your saying, you've misunderstood what i was saying. i can speak spanish well enough to get by and make a sale. its the customers that prefer a sales person of hispanic decent to talk to them and sell them a phone, and are being racial by not allowing me to speak to them in thier primary language.. thats the blunt of it.
talia

Dec 15, 2007, 9:29 AM
that is kind of an ignorant thing to say that if your in america speak english...if you have travelled to different countries..they don't tell you to learn there language...matter of fact other countries have made more of an effort to learn english to communicate with people who speak english...we has americans should that the time out to learn other languages also instead of taking th easy way out by not learning and saying ignorant stuff
WhoDey

Dec 15, 2007, 4:20 PM
talia said:
that is kind of an ignorant thing to say that if your in america speak english...if you have travelled to different countries..they don't tell you to learn there language...matter of fact other countries have made more of an effort to learn english to communicate with people who speak english...we has americans should that the time out to learn other languages also instead of taking th easy way out by not learning and saying ignorant stuff

Hey, remember the other day when we were talking about irony and you asked me what that meant......
DarkStar

Dec 15, 2007, 7:13 PM
Why do other countries learn english? Because We give them lots of money. Anybody from here traveling to another country is there to spend money. These hispanics are here to rape our system and send their money back to mexico or whatever country they are from.

With that said, its all about money. I speak a little spanish and if I can use spanish to make a sale I will do it. I care about my paycheck. If you don't want to learn spanish then don't. I will use what spanish I know and sell a cellphone.
cremz

Dec 14, 2007, 8:39 PM
I am also the same way, but in WI we have a very growing influence of mexican culture. I get maybe 5 or 6 activations from hispanics and are actually quite apreciative if you speak in spanish with them because it can be a flawless transaction, however when you speak it poorly (or they assume you do because you're white) they would rather struggle through english for some reason.

I enjoy speaking in spanish because it definately loosens up tensions and makes closing the sale much easier because the comfort level is there.
However, I see too many people trying to speak spanish who, like hispanics who struggle with english, stumble through it and lose the customer because the communication isn't fluid.
Tmo Slave

Dec 14, 2007, 8:46 PM
I have seen just the opposite reaction in So Cal. My old manager spoke fluent spanish and about 4 other languages. So when our mexican customers found out that he sooke spanish they flocked to him. They would wait for him to finish with a customer or come back if he was not there. So I think it just dependeds on the area.
talia

Dec 15, 2007, 9:34 AM
well how they reacted to you his how some white people react to me...I am a black female that live in the south and some white people would find excuses to not help me rather that taking the time to help or get to know me. Your customer may have had ghe same thing happen to them..so they didn't want to deal with someone who is not like them. I agree that times have changed but times haven't changed that much. What happened to you is a form of racism whether you realize it or not.
Sprintkitty

Dec 15, 2007, 9:43 AM
My experience is a little different...I don't speak Spanish, but I've learned a bit here and there. When I get Hispanic customers, I explain that I don't speak Spanish, but I use the tools I have to make an attempt.

The majority of my Spanish-speaking customers appreciate the effort. I choose the wrong word occasionally ("Nombre del telefono" is a notable example), but that usually just makes for a bit of a giggle...and I learn something for the next time. ;)
WiMAX.Hacker

Dec 15, 2007, 9:53 AM
Even though I'm as white as Casper the Friendly Ghost's rear end, I'm conversational in Spanish. It is true that the majority of the Hispanic population are appreciative that you and I attempt to assist them in their native language.

Bienividos a Sprint
Welcome to Sprint

Como puedo ayudarle hoy?
How may I help you today?

Que es su numero del telefono?
What is your wireless phone number?

Que es ultima quatro numeros de securidad social?
What are the last four digits of your social security number?

After another crazy day at the Sprint store.

Quiero mas cerbeza por favor.
I would like another beer please.

Donde de esta el bano?
Where is the bathroom?
BigShowJB

Dec 15, 2007, 1:34 PM
Sona Roma des balos.

apply a specific linguistic appendage to my anatomical region that rests near my upper thighs.
WiMAX.Hacker

Dec 15, 2007, 4:37 PM
Lo siento pero no puedo hablar portugues o italiano.
M15TER P1NK

Dec 15, 2007, 4:42 PM
... yeah... i hate portuguese... it sounds like somone trying to speak spanish that just had oral surgery.

and people that speak portuguese only ask if i speak spanish... well yeah... but that aint it...
WiMAX.Hacker

Dec 15, 2007, 4:44 PM
Based on your PS screen name, I take it you're a Reservoir Dogs fan. 😉 Well, I'm just as my race is, Mr. Black.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.