Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 14 replies

irate customer who didnt get his rebate

pimpdaddy008

Dec 3, 2007, 11:23 AM
customer bought two phones beginning of june and had until mid august to mail in his two rebates for $50 each. He comes in and says they denied his rebates because he didnt mail them in time. He was mad at me because i didnt tell him he had a time limit to mail them. He mailed them out on 8/29 which was about two weeks late. I always tell customers wait two weeks before cutting off the bar codes then mail them. Are we supposed to go over every little detail when someones buys a phone. I told him every rebate on any item you ever purchase that has a rebate has a time limit. Am i at fault? What do you all do when selling phones with rebates? I think he expected me give him the money out of my pocket and that is not happening.
Dj Podmaster

Dec 3, 2007, 11:26 AM
We are supposed to inform all customers that they must breath while speaking on their phones and continue to do so while doing other non phone related activities. We also must inform them that there are better things to do in life then blame us for their own stupidity.
vzwcripplesphones

Dec 3, 2007, 11:34 AM
CYA = Cover Your Arse

It always advisable to let the customer know when the rebate needs to be sent in, but are you are not responsible for his illiteracy and ignorance.

Do you have to tell him? No.

Should you tell him? Yes.
ajstrong

Dec 3, 2007, 1:18 PM
I tell custies most of the time, not all the time. it is their responsibility; they KNOW that there are mail-in rebates, and even though they claim ignorance, they also KNOW that there have to be time limits on such things. ditto above.
PhonemanJ

Dec 3, 2007, 1:47 PM
Unfortunately, you cannot rely on the customer to follow through on such things, even if you tel him about the expiration date on the rebate form. If you are with ATT, you can call customer care, explain the situation and they may apply the 2 $50 rebates directly to the customer's bill. I have had to do this a couple of times and it satisfied the customer.
WhoDey

Dec 3, 2007, 5:02 PM
Does the customer HAVE to read the form? NO
SHOULD they read the form? YES.

Its not my money, its yours.. figure out how to ensure that you get it, I dont care if you do or dont.
biscuit

Dec 3, 2007, 2:07 PM
I have had a customer in this same situation. She brought in 2 envelopes with a return to sender stamp because she was 2 days late on the postmark. I called in to the rebate cs and told them that she sent her rebate but it was never received, they set up a shell in the system then I faxed in what she had given me. If he made copies of his UPC and whatnot then that may be an option. I work for VZW, if you don't then your system may be different. Her information was not already in the system because they never opened her envelopes. I am not sure if it will work for you, but it's worth a try. That way he will get off your back even though it is fully his fault.
mogulchic21

Dec 3, 2007, 3:46 PM
I know that in my store we make sure to tell customers that there is a date that they need to be sent in by otherwise they won't get their rebate. But yea I feel your pain when there are idiots who don't know how to read. Since they filled out everything else.......
M15TER P1NK

Dec 3, 2007, 4:05 PM
tell the custy to go kill someone and when hes being arrested to tell the cop he didnt know it was illegal... see if he gets away with it

theres no excuse for ignorace... we will give you as much info as possible in the store... but why not at least glance over any of the printed litterature we give you... like... rebate forms... contract terms... MANUALS!!

do they think that making themselves look boarderline retarded is going to make us have sympathy for them?
pimpdaddy008

Dec 3, 2007, 5:27 PM
you know what if the guy wasnt such a jerk about it and didnt talk to me the way he did then i would of tried to do something for him. Be nice to me and i will be nice to you. If you filled out the form you can cleary see the bold black lettering with the dates on it and want to blame me i aint helping you. If he would have came in before mailing them i could have helped him and he would have gotten them but its already been put in the system with the rebate company. I have been doing phones for 9 years and this is the first time i got blamed for something like this.
cellscott

Dec 3, 2007, 10:02 PM
I have actually been yelled at by my manager because of taking TOO much time explaining rebates! I generally make a copy of the receipt and upc code, staple the copy of the receipt with the form, even fill in their phone # and date of purchase. Then I say "All you need to do is fill in the name and address of where you want the check sent to, put it in an envelope and send it here..I've already got all the paperwork you need stapled together, but you still need to cut off the original end of the box with the barcodes and include it. Here's a copy of the UPC to keep for your records, in case it's lost in the mail or anything like that."

Basically I cover my ass as much as possible cuz I don't wanna be the go-to-guy if Mr. Customer doesn't ...
(continues)
OfAMightDivine

Dec 3, 2007, 10:31 PM
"And a lot less pissed off customers months later!"

Nope. They'd just find something else to be angry about.
M15TER P1NK

Dec 4, 2007, 9:38 AM
"I dont like the color of the check they sent me..."

😳

🙄
illinformedcustomer

Dec 4, 2007, 10:32 AM
You got a check? All I got was a VISA Check Card, weird.
ajstrong

Dec 4, 2007, 11:24 AM
the rebates save our behind in offering lower costs "after rebate" in store. my commission would seriously suffer if I had to do away with mail-in rebates, cuz I get paid strictly on how profitable my sales are, nothing more.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.