Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 21 replies

military discounts.....i just might join.

getsome

Dec 1, 2007, 3:16 PM
People who come in and as for military discounts annoy me. I feel just becasue you chose that career path doesnt entitle you to get discounts everywhere you go. Yes, you might be fighting for this country but remember you chose that. i dont recieve T-Mo disocunts everywhere i go.

The reason for this thread was to vent about some snobby girl who was probably 18-19 who just signed up for the Air-Force. She comes into the store and says it's federal law that we provide discounts for any government employee....sure honey. not here.
KioskLife

Dec 1, 2007, 3:24 PM
Of course she chose that job, but then again, so did you. Its not like people who are in the military chose that career path to get 15% off at your store.

And seriously, they risk their life everyday, while I don't approve of them getting discounts everywhere, comparing your job with theirs... lets face it, if either one of you deserves a discount, its definitely her.
getsome

Dec 1, 2007, 5:28 PM
its not about giving the discount that's a problem. it's the fact that there are people like her that go around expecting it like it's some god given gift. not all military personel risks their lives. they are a couple paper pusher positions.
UOQuack

Dec 1, 2007, 3:24 PM
What carrier do you work for? Do they not provide a discount off of the monthly rate plan?
mogulchic21

Dec 1, 2007, 4:19 PM
I know that my company offers a military discount off of the MRC.
Trench.Coat.4.Hire

Dec 1, 2007, 4:54 PM
yeah 15% right?
getsome

Dec 1, 2007, 5:30 PM
we offer i think it's like 14.7 percent off monthly rate plans. i'm not too sure.
eljeffe666

Dec 1, 2007, 5:31 PM
suncom does 10% off the mrc and waves the act fee for the primary line
Iselltheshitoutofphones

Dec 2, 2007, 12:52 AM
AT&T offers 20% off MRC regardless of branch.

Will
mogulchic21

Dec 3, 2007, 3:40 PM
Yea it's 15% off the total MRC and if it's a new act and they ask we can waive the act fee
Trench.Coat.4.Hire

Dec 1, 2007, 4:53 PM
And that sh*t gets on my nerves. I use to work at a small locally owned coffee shop and one time this moron got all bent out of shape because we didn't have a military discount. I think sometimes certain businesses baby them too much and that breeds some screwed up sense of entitlement.
tgoace

Dec 1, 2007, 10:18 PM
Yes, there are some assholes in the military. The jerks tend to be the lifers, trust me. But if you were receiving the same low paychecks as they were and you knew that you had a 90% chance of saving some money, wouldn't you check? 😉

They're not doing it to aggravate you. Soldiers have A LOT of expenses to consider. They have the same amount of bills as a civilian plus all of their military ones whch tends to make ends really tight. With rapid deployment occuring at any second, 80% divorce rate, seperation from friends and family, pressure, stress, training, endless work days, jumps, drug & alcohol addiction, having to live in a ghetto military town, having to deal with insane members of the opposite sex...etc, sometimes a little di...
(continues)
Lapdog

Dec 3, 2007, 10:56 AM
I see both sides...but please, there is no draft. It is an all voluntary force. No one makes you go into the military. The pay/benefit structure is well known and there are no secrets about it.

When the ships from here deploy (aircraft carrier battle groups) over 5,000 people leave town...I'm left spending my money. When these guys get back, they have so much money because there's nothing to buy in the middle of the Indian Ocean...

Military discounts are good business, but not required.

I love when the fat wives and their 4 kids come on local TV telling how hard it is to get along on an enlisted man's pay...lay off the Doritos and stop pumping out babies after each deployment...
Gemini

Dec 3, 2007, 11:10 AM
😳

As with ANY part of the world there are always stereotypes. You've just named one of them. Yes, there ARE women like that, but that does not represent the entirety or military wives.

Military life IS hard. Within the two year period I am in right now, I will HOPEFULLY see my hubby for 9 months of it. And when he's home, it's OIA...Overtime Is Authorized. They work him when they want for as long as they want. A 40 hour week for him is a blessing.

I work for a living. We have no children. Nor do I want to have 4+ children. 1 or 2, but not more then we can afford. And contrary to belief, you don't get "paid to have babies".

I think the military discount harkens back to a day when people were patriotic. They respected the me...
(continues)
ajstrong

Dec 3, 2007, 2:32 PM
completely agree.
cellb1tch

Dec 3, 2007, 3:02 PM
...for you and your husband.

you're right, there are too many lazy people who take our freedoms for granted.
Lapdog

Dec 3, 2007, 3:28 PM
Gemini, don't get me wrong. I do appreciate the sacrifices the military make. My dad was in the USN for 30 years, we moved about every 4 years...

I didn't call anyone dumb for enlisting...but the person enlisting KNOWS UPFRONT what the payscale and benefits are. There should be no surprise that anyone from E-5 and below should be married and have more than 1 kid and expect to make ends meet. It's tough. But there is a good living to be made for seniority, rate/rank as well as housing allowances, medical benefits and a "real" retirement plan...so there are plusses and minuses all around.

I just don't care for the people saying...oh, my family can't make it on what they pay...maybe it isn't supposed to.
cilvzwagent

Dec 3, 2007, 2:06 PM
Lapdog said:
I see both sides...but please, there is no draft. It is an all voluntary force. No one makes you go into the military. The pay/benefit structure is well known and there are no secrets about it.

When the ships from here deploy (aircraft carrier battle groups) over 5,000 people leave town...I'm left spending my money. When these guys get back, they have so much money because there's nothing to buy in the middle of the Indian Ocean...
blockquote>
cilvzwagent

Dec 3, 2007, 2:14 PM
Sorry, hit the enter button accidentally..

What I was going to say was.... What most people fail to realize that not every person who gets deployed is in a full time military position. Lots are reservists, who hold down full time, higher paying civilian jobs. So when they are deployed it is a huge financial burden to go from making say, $5k per month, to if you're lucky $1500 per month (that's going by my husband's military pay vs civilian job pay). Yes, no one forced him to join the military, it was his own choice. But just the same, it's a struggle. I get tired of people bashing the families of military servicemen and women who are at home without their loved one, trying to raise kids by themselves, are in a financial struggle. No...
(continues)
UOQuack

Dec 3, 2007, 10:50 AM
It's all about contracts. If the company you work for is big enough, they will likely have a contract with the government and work out a military discount. Small mom & pop shops wont, unless they are specifically catering to the military market. Having served in the military myself, I think it's disgusting that any member of the military would act the fool just because your establishment doesnt have a discount, but I was always super appreciative of those companies who did offer a military discount, and I tried my darndest to do all my business there.
Trench.Coat.4.Hire

Dec 1, 2007, 9:31 PM
that the Government of Iran gets a 15% discount with sprint. Apparently every government with an embassy in the U.S. gets a 15% discount through The State Department's master account. The only one that doesn't get one is North Korea 🤣 Even Kazakhstan gets 15%
Dj Podmaster

Dec 3, 2007, 11:30 AM
NIIIIIIIICCCCCEEEEE!!!!! I LIKE!!!!

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.