Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 24 replies

Number of Lines... a question for everybody

Nikoletta

Oct 21, 2007, 4:21 PM
So I just had a caller blow his top because his credit put him at approved for 2 lines and he wants four.

He swears his credit is great and that he checks it every other day. I think that's probably crap, nobody pulls their credit every other day, that would be counterproductive, you get one free credit report a year... bah, lots of reasons but that sounds bogus. People say all kinds of things when they want something, mostly they lie.

But that made me wonder.

What do other carriers do.

With us (BigPink) we have a lot of variety.

You can be approved for:

10 lines (that's perfect credit)

5 Lines (nearly perfect.)

3 Lines (you're doing pretty good but have a few scrapes in the past.)

2 Lines (eh, ok, so you don't ...
(continues)
mooiscoow

Oct 21, 2007, 4:37 PM
do deposits. You can have any number of lines up to 5 lines, but for each line you leave that deposit.
Nikoletta

Oct 21, 2007, 5:39 PM
Well we do that as well, if you are approved for 3 lines and you want 4, you have to pay a $250 deposit or wait 6 months from the last add date to get the 4th at no deposit.

This guy wanted 4 lines and was approved fro 2 and didn't want to drop $500 for the other two even if he would get it back in a year.
Jennyboo

Oct 23, 2007, 8:24 PM
Wow I wish we did that...with us the number of line you're approved for is all we can offer at the time and if you want more you have to wait 6 months to a year for the credit class to be updated factoring in payment history and such.

And a lot of times the credit class won't get updated after a year due to one payment that was late or the phones getting disconnected too many times or something of that nature.
Kris

Oct 23, 2007, 9:23 PM
You work for Sprint don't you? Lol
vocalist

Oct 21, 2007, 4:41 PM
He's either going to have to deal with the two lines, or he'll have to put a $250 deposit down for each additional line.

Otherwise, tell him to go eat a cucumber.
Nikoletta

Oct 21, 2007, 5:41 PM
That's right for us, what about other carriers?
vocalist

Oct 21, 2007, 8:02 PM
I'm not sure I haven't had to deal with it for Verizon or Sprint(the other two providers I work with).

People that have wanted to get a certain amount of lines have always been approved.

If you really want to find out, I would call the customer service of the providers you're wondering about.
d3ity

Oct 22, 2007, 1:07 PM
You've never seen a deposit required? where the hell do you live.
vocalist

Oct 23, 2007, 8:51 AM
d3ity said:
You've never seen a deposit required? where the hell do you live.

Haha I work for a company that works out of Costco.

Most of the people in here have outstanding credit.

I used to work for TMS(I know, shame on me), and we didn't do deposits there either. It was either approved, Flexpay, or rejected.
uscellchick87

Oct 22, 2007, 3:11 PM
Ours is A Class through C Class - Zero Deposit

D Class- $100

Other letters in the alphabet lower than D - $400!
Nikoletta

Oct 23, 2007, 5:00 PM
But within the A-C range how many lines can they get? As many as they want?
sckoisks17

Oct 21, 2007, 10:26 PM
With Sprint, there are deposits and spending limits. Sometimes you only have one of those, sometimes both, sometimes none. The majority of my customers are approved for 3-5 lines with no deposit. If they wanted more lines than they were approved for, we call credit services and see if we can negotiate for more lines in trade for having a spending limit on each. Usually, we can find something that will work for the customer.
Sprintkitty

Oct 22, 2007, 9:20 AM
I didn't realize we could negotiate for more lines...excellent.

And yeah, Sprint's spending limit thing helps out a lot. Five lines, no deposit is excellent; three lines, no deposit + spending limit is not horrible (may have had some scrapes in the past but the credit's on the mend); two lines, with deposit (usually $150) + spending limit seems to mean you've had some scrapes semi-recently creditwise; and I've actually had a customer or two with a one line, $250 deposit + spending limit. I have a feeling those are people that have iffy credit with Sprint itself, or have some semi-serious credit issues elsewhere.

And yeah, depending on how you're checking your credit 'every other day' might actually do more harm than good. We occasional...
(continues)
BigShowJB

Oct 22, 2007, 11:49 AM
I've ever been able to get extra lines unless they are coming from nextel or have been active for 6months since their last upgrade:

this is what I've seen for approvals from sprint:

1 line, $250 deposit, $125 Spending limit: prior writeoff with sprint/nextel

2L/$150d/125sl: no or VERY little good credit.

3L/$0D/125-400sl (occasionally no SL): decent credit. higher spending limits indicate the account is in good standing with One side or the other with Sprint/nextel

5L/0D/0SL very good credit, sign up the whole family.

10L/0/0: get out the business plans.

20+L/0/0: Pray they are setting up their business account and get out the accessory catalog! cause you just struck gold if they are!!!! and don't forget the broa...
(continues)
phatbasstard

Oct 22, 2007, 2:07 PM
att

good to great credit 5lines no problem

small problems $150 per line

bigger problems $300 per line

totaly f'ed credit or no credit or no ss# $500 per line
WhoDey

Oct 22, 2007, 11:25 PM
You havent had the 2 lines, 500 deposit class come in??
I have... it sucked
Sprintkitty

Oct 23, 2007, 9:17 AM
Not yet, at least. Back in the day (when dinosaurs walked the earth, 2000-2001 🤣 ) when I managed a SunCom indirect, I saw $500 all the time...and actually got a few to buy. ;)

I don't know if people'll do that anymore since there are so many more choices...but if it ever comes up, we'll see.
foxiangel5

Oct 22, 2007, 11:25 AM
i ask them how many lines they want me to check for and i run it for that. if they say just check for one, and it passes, i rerun it to check for more. usually (always really) if they are approved for one, they can get up to 5. im an indirect dealer for verizon btw
d3ity

Oct 22, 2007, 12:33 PM
same deal here, vzw indirect.
foxiangel5

Oct 22, 2007, 11:27 AM
every time you check your credit, besides that one freebee a year, it hurts you. so if hes checking everyday, it will get significantly worse.
ac4321

Oct 22, 2007, 11:44 AM
Checking your own credit does not hurt you. It does cost about $10 per credit burea, so to get all three is about $30. I check mine about every six months and one of my credit card constantly updates with my FICO from one of them. If that one is okay, and if myfico.com sends me no negative alets, there's no big worry about the other two util I check them all semi-annually.
Jennyboo

Oct 23, 2007, 8:02 PM
Ours has a lot of variety too

The maximum to get approved for off the bat is 5 line for a regular consumer account but in time if they pay on time and such they can bump up to 10

Next step down is 3 lines with no deposit which I rarely see anymore, and we also have a 3 line approval with a per line deposit

Then there's 2 with no deposit, or 2 with a per line deposit

We have a one line credit class with a 250 deposit only if they've had us before with a previous balance

Or you can get flat out denied which I've seen twice in the past 2 weeks.
Nikoletta

Oct 23, 2007, 8:03 PM
Thank you, that was the most helpful breakdown I've seen. Now I don't feel so dumb.
Jennyboo

Oct 23, 2007, 8:06 PM
lol you're welcome

I needed something to type up anyways, it's so slow here

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.