Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 20 replies

can i start with the number we'll be working with, area code first?

rxymsft

Oct 18, 2007, 12:51 PM
i know this has been said, but i hate when people...
a.) do NOT give me their area code
b.) give me their area code last
c.) give me a different number on the account
d.) tell me their name or other information that is worthless to me until i get the number
e.) say, 'don't you see it there already?' clearly, i don't...otherwise i wouldn't be asking for it.
f.) immediately ask for my supervisor...
there's more, but option D has been happening over and over today. i don't need your life story lady, i need your freaking wireless number.
hardcorehavok

Oct 18, 2007, 3:32 PM
I get this all the freakin' time. I used to do over the phone customer service and now I work at a dealer owned retail store. When I did over the phone, it made some sense as to why they'd assume I had the info. The IVR collects the information, but it almost never forwarded the info to the reps. I cannot pull up an account by name, only cell phone number and POSSIBLY account number. Where I work now, we are right near an area code split. People here have either 724 or 814 for an area code, but customers do not seem to realize that when I ask for it. Luckily, I can tell the different based on the prefix, but not everyone is so lucky.

I hate when people give their phone number in a weird way. For example: 7245-2324-1. WHAT? Your number sta...
(continues)
rxymsft

Oct 18, 2007, 3:38 PM
the worst is when they say it in a wierd way like that, and then they get all crabby when you ask them to repeat it. they'll say it super slow and loud like you're deaf and dumb. i realize you've been saying that number for a long time, but i haven't. so excuse me ma'am, i'm not the idiot here, you are.
WhoDey

Oct 25, 2007, 11:12 AM
The best is:

Seventy..four, thirty, seven, eighteen...

Now, type the number i just spelled, I predict three different answers.
Cingular724

Oct 25, 2007, 12:11 PM
Thats exactly like the Spanish people that come in the store

Pie seeksteen, seben twente too, sebente forde pie

Zip code?

eleben pie twanee
TmoBrett

Oct 25, 2007, 4:45 PM
I hate that one too because my keyboard does not have a 70 button or an 18 button, I need numnbers between 0 and 9... as to this mess...
Seventy..four, thirty, seven, eighteen...
it could be
70 4 30 7 18
or 74 30 7 18
or 70 4 37 18
or 74 37 18
all depending on how you hear the idiot giving you the number
ac4321

Oct 18, 2007, 3:47 PM
I never understand why customers say, "but that's not the "main number on the account." There is no main number. I need the one for the phone that is broken.

Also, our stores have hosts that get your name. Dude walks in and host says, "hi, can I get *your* name?" Dude says, "it's under (random female name or vice versa)". Host says, "no, they will come looking for you as you are here, I need your name."

I'm not sure what has programmed them this way, but I've never done that. If someone asks me a literal question with only one possible answer I answer appropriately. I don't give my parent/wife/brother's name or number.
🤨
rxymsft

Oct 18, 2007, 3:57 PM
seriously, how much clearer can the question on this thread be? they don't get it. plus, i get a lot of calls where a cust calls in and the name they give me is different than the name i see in my system. that goes a little something like this-

me: "okay miss so-and-so, can i get the name on the account.
c: "yeah, it should be my name."
me: "well, i don't show you as the account holder. could it be under another name?"
c: "no. are you sure it's not under my name?"
me, to self (no, you're right. i'm just playin' with you. i want to keep you on the line as long as possible)

::after going back and forth on this for about five minutes::

c: "well, i guess my mom pays the bill, so it could be under her name."
me, to self again (no sh...
(continues)
WM6user

Oct 18, 2007, 3:58 PM
The zip code IS NOT the area code!! When will people learn that?! 👿
Sprintkitty

Oct 19, 2007, 9:42 AM
Had that just yesterday in my kiosk.

Me: [checking for upgrade] Can I have your zip code please? [I have already asked for his phone number]

Cust: 910.

Me: [same tone as before] Can I have your zip code please?

Cust: [mildly annoyed] 910...

Me: [still the same tone, focused on the screen] Can I have your zip code please?

Cust: [starts out annoyed] 9!1!...oh. [gives zip code, looking embarrassed]
OfAMightDivine

Oct 18, 2007, 4:33 PM
Or when you ask them for the number that they want to do something with, and they say "Mine?" 🤣
charliegirl

Oct 18, 2007, 4:45 PM
Around the area that I am in everyone is accustomed to having to give area code b/c there is 212,347,917,646,718,516 and 631. In some boroughs you even have to dial the area code at all times.
spidermon

Oct 18, 2007, 5:28 PM
The worst is when they give you their home number....why in the heck would i need that?
Guy Montag

Oct 18, 2007, 9:47 PM
rxymsft said:
e.) say, 'don't you see it there already?' clearly, i don't...otherwise i wouldn't be asking for it.

How could you possibly already see it? What are we psychic? Do we remember every customer signed up accros the nation by face so the second they walk into our store regardless of market we instantly know their information? People are idiots.
ima_gn0me

Oct 19, 2007, 11:45 AM
OMG, I want to kill those people.

Especially when I ask for the number we'll be working with today and its a sim card change.

Once we change the sim card, they ask when we'll need their number because the number they gave me was their grandma's who lives in CUCAMUNGA!!! 😡
rainbowbrite

Oct 19, 2007, 6:06 PM
I hate hate hate this.

I pretty much use the same line at the beginning of my calls. And then the customer just goes off with thier life story with Sprint since day one. And I try to politely interupt so I can just get the number to open the acct and they go WAIT I AM TALKING. Finally after 5-10 minutes of explaining I can go. "Ok, now that I have every piece of information can I please get your mobile number, area code first so I can actually OPEN your acct and look into this for you"

Or when they give you their home number yeah. You let them know you cannot find that number in the system and repeat "Ok you said your mobile number was xxx-xxx-xxxx!?!" and they respond with "OH YOU WANT MY MOBILE NUMBER!" Well yeah, what e ...
(continues)
BigShowJB

Oct 25, 2007, 10:43 AM
well of course.. didn't you know you can pay your ATT landline bill at a Verizon corporate store??
V4Vengeance

Oct 24, 2007, 11:05 PM
Me: "May I have your name and mobile number?"

C: "Joe."

Me: "And your last name please, Joe?"

C: "Smith."

Silence.

He thinks it's my turn now. He's already forgotten the second part of the question.
coziamnumber1

Oct 25, 2007, 9:19 AM
when a customer starts to give you their cell phone number while on the sales floor and not at your computer.
OfAMightDivine

Oct 25, 2007, 10:55 AM
My greeting is very specific. I say "May I please have the specific mobile number we'll be working with, area code first?"

I make sure to even stress the word *specific*

I STILL get people who give me their home number, JUST the area code, their zip code, or the area code last.

This will never change.
ucantbeserious

Oct 25, 2007, 4:50 PM
is when store reps do this to ya...(not all reps just some) so don't get pissy

me-can i have the mobile number area code first please.

rep- 555-9986

me- ok..... and the area code would be???

rep- (sigh) 123 (sigh)

apparently I'm supposed to be telepathic

one rep the other day made me want to cry, now mind you this was a cell phone sales representative, she called in and i asked her for the mobile number we would be working with, and she says, whats the mobile number, of course i don't answer because i figure she knows what a mobile number is, and is asking the customer what his number was, but she asks it again, i still don't answer, finally the third time she says, whats the mobile number i ask her if she's talking to me ...
(continues)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.