Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 39 replies

This is pretty f#@%ed up....

yodude

Oct 18, 2007, 10:54 AM
I was supposed to work from 3-close today. My manager called last night and asked if I could open. i told him no, I have to take my grandmother to the hospital at 11 for her chemo treatments. He started begging cuz he had "personal" stuff going on that he just HAD to take care of. Yea, your other business that is way more important than your position as my MANAGER.... He asked if I could work from 9-10:30, take my grandma, then come back when I was done. What? And just leave the store for 2-3 hours with NO ONE here?! And it gets better.... He just called and said I couldn't leave. At all. Good thing they cancelled her appointment. Why? Her liver is shutting down. IF she makes it til tomorrow morning it will be a miracle. I'm now working open...
(continues)
devilsmafia

Oct 18, 2007, 10:56 AM
There are always other jobs out there. **** your manager!!!
yodude

Oct 18, 2007, 11:02 AM
The only reason I feel guilty if I do say #@$% you all is because I have a baby on the way and his dad freaked and ran off. So supporting him is gonna be hard enough... Nobody is gonna hire me for a month and then let me go for 12 weeks and come back after that. lol.
devilsmafia

Oct 18, 2007, 11:04 AM
Hmmm, quite the situation you have there. Maybe there is some other way you can think of to stick it to the man without losing your job. Good luck.
yodude

Oct 18, 2007, 11:05 AM
Call him and say I'm going into labor... then call a few hours later and say jk, false alarm....
devilsmafia

Oct 18, 2007, 11:07 AM
Call him and tell him the store is on fire. Some kind of freak electrical short, lol.
WhoDey

Oct 22, 2007, 11:15 PM
Call him and tell him to eat a bag of dicks... that youre going to be with your dying family member, and if he doesnt like it, he can get bent by an elephant.

Always works for me..
ajstrong

Oct 18, 2007, 11:12 AM
that's my vote.
BigShowJB

Oct 19, 2007, 6:12 PM
why stop at labor??

tell him your gramm got really sick all of a sudden and was asking for YOU specifically and it sent you into labor. call him back after you take a few hours and tell him it was either braxton hicks or false labor.

Maybe you couldn't feel the baby move for a few hours....????
ralph_on_me

Oct 18, 2007, 11:10 AM
Lock up the store and leave.
k112005

Oct 18, 2007, 3:34 PM
nothing is more important than family so leave. jobs come and go. even though you are having a baby you will not forgive yourself if you stay at work.
TMoChick

Oct 18, 2007, 11:21 AM
You should spend some of your open-close shift today looking up your company's policies on hours worked and lunch breaks, etc... You may have an issue for HR with regard to your manager, expecially since you weren't even scheduled to open, and did have a family emergency to tend to... maybe your boss needs to spend some time filling up his staff so that stuff like this doesn't happen. Sometimes I wonder how the people in power got there... in our jobs, and otherwise... (ahem, government...)
yodude

Oct 18, 2007, 11:29 AM
I have had a lot of issues regarding my manager lately. Like him telling people "I will be here at this time _____. Come and talk to me." And it's about stuff we can't even handle. THEN, he won't even show up on time and I'm stuck dealing with some b!tching person asking where he is. I DON'T KNOW!!! I had no idea you were even coming in. Or coming in 2 hours late because he "ran into problem after problem." Selling solar powered flashlights from China to Cabela's does not cut it as running into problem after problem with me... Now, my new baby was up all night puking and we ended up taking her into the hospital would. But that wasn't it, step up to the job they nicely gave you back or step down and let someone who cares and can do it take ov...
(continues)
rxymsft

Oct 18, 2007, 12:29 PM
i am so sorry. if i were you, i would do just that. give him the 'see ya'. in the big picture of things, cell phones don't rank above family....to be honest, they're actually on the low end of the totem pole of life, i'd say.
Sprintkitty

Oct 18, 2007, 12:46 PM
Go as far above his head as you can in the corporation. If it's a corp of any large size, they'll have a human relations department. If it's a smaller corp, you might be able to talk to an owner/CEO/whatever it happens to have.

Explain the situation in detail, calmly. Tell them you found the behavior unprofessional and unbecoming of a/an [insert corporation name here] employee, much less a manager.
Grantizzle

Oct 18, 2007, 12:49 PM
if your grandma dies, blame him.
rxymsft

Oct 18, 2007, 12:52 PM
then ask him if that's covered under warranty.
yodude

Oct 18, 2007, 1:31 PM
Anybody here rich, single and want to support me until I can start working again? 🤣 And does anyone know Radioshacks' HR number? I called my boss and told him that I had to leave at NO LATER than 3 and that I could not stay all day. He said he would be here. I warned him that I would just shut off the computer and leave at 3, whether he was here or not. I think he was shocked that his nice little female employee was being threatening... 😛
k112005

Oct 18, 2007, 3:40 PM
way to go even woman can have balls 😁 😁 🤤
cellb1tch

Oct 18, 2007, 3:54 PM
screw that. your family comes before your work. i would either leave or call his manager.
cellb1tch

Oct 18, 2007, 3:56 PM
i hope your grandma is ok.
and you too.
just_asking

Oct 18, 2007, 10:07 PM
I also work for the shack, what that manager did, he should be fired. But he won't be. Since they cut pay for managers and employees from 20-50% Moist of the employees/managers are kids who can not get jobs anywhere else. In our district, there might be 10 employees who have been employeed more than a year out of 300 employees.

BTW, I have been ft/pt for over 10 years at the shack.
ima_gn0me

Oct 19, 2007, 11:58 AM
How's your grandmother? I hope she's doing better...

By the way, you need to take this issue above your manager and report this. If you don't want to take it to his boss take it to your HR.
SprintTechMN

Oct 19, 2007, 12:13 PM
I would leave. In my book, this type of situation takes priority over just about anything else.
yodude

Oct 20, 2007, 8:46 PM
My grandmother passed away last night at 9pm. Luckily it was my day off already cuz I had my baby shower. But I did call my manager to let him know when I found out and his first words to me were "My marriage is in trouble, so can you close tomorrow?" Um... Sorry your marriage is in trouble because you are addicted to your other job as a guy that sells crappy import export stuff, but did you just hear what I'm saying? I'm not coming back after my son is born in December... I'm leaving here end of November and after my maternity leave I will call to say sorry, found a better job. If there isn't a new manager. And I WILL leave earlier if he doesn't let me take Tuesday and Wednesday completely off to go to her viewing and funeral. I will find s...
(continues)
Guy Montag

Oct 20, 2007, 9:45 PM
Call another store for the Corp number...
d3ity

Oct 21, 2007, 11:58 AM
I can definatley sympathize with you.

RatShack ****ed me too. Granted, the reason was alot more trivial than what you encountered, but THERE IS A REASON for the high turnover rate...

I was fired from radioshack for not coming in for a scheduled shift. I had requested off for finals week, two months in advance. I even made sure to notify the exhalted workbrain of this. Along with my manager...repeatedly

So finals week comes around, I look at the schedule, and I am scheduled every single day, to close the store. Not happening. I call my manager, and tell him to fix it. he says he will.

So two days into finals week I get a phone call. Apparently I'm bieng term'd for no call no show. I then drove to the store and made him of...
(continues)
just_asking

Oct 21, 2007, 2:07 PM
I hope you do not blame all managers and/or employees for some of the crap some of the managers give. I would of left by now, except for the manager. If I stay, I will make less per hour that I did in 1984 when I started working with RS. I am so glad, I have a ft time job with the government and really don't need this job since my wife started working. With there new pay plan, most of the experience people left, and all they are hiring is retired and teenagers. Sometimes you get what you pay for.
Sprintkitty

Oct 21, 2007, 2:18 PM
It sounds like you're saying that they're not just hiring at lower pay rates now, but that they're actively dropping the wages of existing employees. Am I misreading that??

I really hope I am, because if I'm not, that really really sucks. 😕
just_asking

Oct 21, 2007, 2:44 PM
they went from paying commision or hourly to hourly only. Last year if I sold 2000 dollars I could make 100 dollars if I work 1 hour or 10 hours. Today if I sell 2000 dollars and work 10 hours, I make 65 dollars. If I work 5 hours, I make 32.50. I do not count spiffs, because they are over and above any commission/hours. 5 years ago during xmas I could have made 300 dollares with commission and spiff structure, today if I am lucky 100-120 for the selling the exact same thing. Yes it does suck. They don't know it, but they are paying me to clerk.
BigShowJB

Oct 21, 2007, 3:20 PM
yes they do know it ... they just aren't saying it or admitting to it...
just_asking

Oct 21, 2007, 4:43 PM
All I know is that they do not have enough trained managers, and most of the new ones are f**ing up. Thet are being put in the position to fail. And the only reason they are promoted is that there willing to be abused, and yea they breathing. I'm waiting to find out how many quit during xmas because they have to work 70-90 hours because the help is quitting, when they fined out they can make 10-12 dollars an hour at Mcds. 👿
yodude

Oct 24, 2007, 4:20 PM
I won't be able to work Christmas. I can get Dr's orders if I need to. 😁 I'm pretty sure he would say with a week old baby I will need to recover for at least 4 weeks. haha. I don't think all managers or employees suck this bad, or even that my manager is a complete d!ck. He is just clueless and self centered. It happens. I will stay for one more month until I take my maternity leave and probably not come back. There was another scheduling mistake made, I almost had to work yesterday, which was my grandma's funeral, but the other employee stepped in and said he would work for me because no way in h3ll should I have to be working.
d3ity

Oct 22, 2007, 1:15 PM
As far as management goes at radioshack, I've been through 5 managers in my tenure at radioshack, I'll go through the list.

Becky - Fairly awesome, let just about everything slide... Real easy to work with. Unfortunatley, as a manager, she was completley useless. Her desk in the back was full of food. And she sat on her laptop playing diner dash all day.

Dan - Company line. All hail the magnificient workbrain. There shall be no deviations from the plan-o-gram. Only problem with him aside from bieng a hardass was the inability to order anything.

Kurt - Awesome. All around great manager. Helped out with sales, kept inventory up to date... real easy going.

Dan - Only around for 2 weeks. Too scared to do anything. Did no...
(continues)
just_asking

Oct 22, 2007, 6:33 PM
At least you left before they took commission away. Now its 6.50-7.50 hour plus spiff (most spiffs are gone or lowered)no commission. They think that I am going to work the day after thanksgiving. 👿
Guy Montag

Oct 20, 2007, 9:55 PM
(817)415-3700 (Automated menu selection)
(817)415-3011 (Corporate switch board)

Either of these should lead you to Human Resources where you can make a complaint. With as little as he works, he is probably abusing the time clock to get his "40 hours" a week. I would look into that if you can before you call too. I just tested it. It does take you to HR. I wouldn't sit on this if I were you. Grow a pair and do something.
just_asking

Oct 21, 2007, 11:16 AM
1-700-367-4357 from the store. automated selection, Hope this helps, Find out who the senior manager is for your store, let him/her know what's going on. What the manager is doing is against company policy and maybe against the law. I have been with RS over 20 years, let me know if you need any other info. I will get it for you.
Guy Montag

Oct 22, 2007, 11:25 AM
just_asking said:
1-700-367-4357 from the store. automated selection, Hope this helps, Find out who the senior manager is for your store, let him/her know what's going on. What the manager is doing is against company policy and maybe against the law. I have been with RS over 20 years, let me know if you need any other info. I will get it for you.

Bump for yudude.
uscellchick87

Oct 23, 2007, 8:55 AM
So what happened Yodude?
yodude

Oct 24, 2007, 4:23 PM
Guy Montag said:
just_asking said:

Bump for yudude.

Thank you!

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.