Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 11 replies

My opinion... a serious thread

nonmeatgazer

Oct 17, 2007, 10:53 AM
Our industry has babied customers waaaay too long! If the industry as a whole would do away with some things than it would save us all headaches... and bring more money to the industry...

I believe phones should not be discounted. It just does not make sense, and cause customers to think that a phone should be included with the service... It's BS.. And I hate when a customer complains that they have to pay sooo much for phone service.. Well if you think it's too much than just have a home phone, and ask them to give you a handset for free too! You know your not getting a TV to use with your cable, or discount on A/C to use the electric... It's just a bad bad policy.. In Europe they don't discount phones at all... Everyone knows that...
(continues)
chainsaw

Oct 17, 2007, 11:09 AM
I totally agree with you, but it probably won't happen. Americans want the best coverage, the best customer service, and most of all the cheapest(subsidized) phones possible. It would take a radicle policy shift for such a change to take place. I doubt the industry would make the change itself.
nuckingfuts

Oct 17, 2007, 12:41 PM
Unless the gov't bans cell contracts
nonmeatgazer

Oct 17, 2007, 12:43 PM
well with all of the lawsuits that are popping up, it may happen, but than again how much money is the cell phone industry pumping into the pockets of politicians? And they have a ton of lobbiests i'm sure
chainsaw

Oct 17, 2007, 12:44 PM
thats why I said it would take policy change. policy=laws
BigShowJB

Oct 17, 2007, 3:41 PM
someone like hilary clinton would do that if the idea is presented to her...
kapwww

Oct 17, 2007, 12:16 PM
I've said the same thing before. NO discounts on phones. What they can do is offer a discount on the monthly service for signing a contract. Agree to keep the service for 1 year and save 10% or agree to keep it for 2 years and save 20% (or something like that). If you cancel before your agreement is up, you'll just have to pay the difference that you would have paid if you signed no contract. I also agree that the industry is too set in its way and the US consumer wants everything cheap/free so they'll never change.
chainsaw

Oct 17, 2007, 12:45 PM
hmm kinda like satellite tv or internet. I like it. You buy the tv and we'll provide the service. Grand!
bdizzle

Oct 17, 2007, 12:47 PM
🤣
ShackViperElite

Oct 17, 2007, 12:59 PM
While this sounds great and in concept is a solid idea, I think initially the market would be in hurt. So many people are used to the current way of doing business... and honestly, it's only a fraction of customers that whine and cause us headaches. Saddly, regardless of policy, that same group will find something to complain about.

Additionally, a lot of people we get into service now may not be able to continue on if they had to pay full price for the phones up front. I have a lot of great customers who pay their bill every month on time and are good solid customers for both of our carriers. Asking them to pay upwards of $300 per phone though would set a lot of them back and they may not be able to do it.

I do like the idea of ed...
(continues)
kapwww

Oct 17, 2007, 2:11 PM
If the system were to change per my suggestion (% discount off the monthly service for contract term) they customers would save enough money on their monthly bill to cover the cost difference in the phone. Even on a $40 plan, if you save 20% for 2 years, you'd be saving app. $215. It would really be a wash in the end. The main thing we would see is more insurance adds and less complaining about full retail price.
OfAMightDivine

Oct 17, 2007, 1:14 PM
There's 2 big reasons why this happens in my opinion.

1. Companies will do ANYTHING to make money, especially big businesses, and to look good in the consumer eye. They will baby a customer to shut them up, especially if that customer whines up the ladder. I've seen an account where Corporate gave a customer over $700 in overage credits JUST BECAUSE HE WAS TOLD THEY WERE VALID CHARGES BY CUSTOMER CARE. Customers tenure was little over a year on $39.99 plan. I know this is not typical, but I've seen corporate baby customers left and right. However, when we want to give something nice to a customer, we're denied that because they're valid charges.

2. Customer think Cell phones are a right, and not a privilege. Once they get the phone...
(continues)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.