Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 61 replies

I'm not a racist person , but whats with Indians......

ATTMark

Aug 3, 2007, 1:31 PM
I can account numerous times where I have had funny situations with people from india. but yesterday took the cake. customer walks in very heavy accent, and hands me a flyer. the flyer is for a free pantech c3b with new activation(add a line)he says he and his wife both want free phones. i tell him we are out of stock on the pantech's. he says " ok you guys owe me 2 free phones." i laugh and look at him , realizing he was dead serious i apoligize for laughing then tell him that AT&T doesnt owe him anything , the phone are not giveaway phones its a promotional deal. he then points to the curve and says "you give me 2 free" i then say no(trying not to laugh) the curve is an expensive PDA we dont offer those for free. he then asks the non contr...
(continues)
iRawesome

Aug 3, 2007, 1:36 PM
Here, here.
ajstrong

Aug 3, 2007, 2:50 PM
I've had the same experience, with Indians as well. I also have been to manyu countries, and love bargaining, but when I can't/don't want to/are fed up with people from THIS country attempting to be cheap a$$es, others that actually know how to do it are a tad more frusterating...they last longer 👿

o well, it's just a job
Webb

Aug 4, 2007, 10:45 AM
I'm honestly not sure why they seem to cling more doggedly to that strategy than other cultures that value haggling. I mean, as a culture, Indians tend to be a bit more widely travelled on average, I thought. In many cases they are not recent immigrants - they've been leaving India in considerable numbers since the late 1800's (though more often settling in other parts of the British Empire like Malaya/Singapore, South Africa, Hong Kong, and parts of Canada than they did in the US).

So a good many Indians have been out in the world for quite a while (generations, even). For that matter, many had significant and prolonged exposure to western culture and education due to the significant British presence in India during their colonial era, h...
(continues)
robtheman

Aug 4, 2007, 10:47 AM
I love sentences that start with "I'm not a racist, but..." because it means you're about to say something completely racist. Makes me laugh every time.
Wireless Buddy

Aug 4, 2007, 10:54 AM
Exactly.
txsolitaire

Aug 6, 2007, 2:43 PM
I think its pathetic that you have to say things like that, and if you notice he states many ways several times in his post to cover himself regarding the "racism" in the post. Screw that, most indians are like that and i'm not afraid to say it and i won't try to be pc about it. Stereotypes exist, use common sense. Vast majority of indian people i've met are just like that. Truth. Does that make me racist? Please. Everyone is racist to a degree.
robtheman

Aug 8, 2007, 6:34 PM
Did I ever claim that I wasn't racist? Get off your high horse and realize that the way he started that story was funny.
frankiewawa

Aug 4, 2007, 12:04 PM
I get that all the time.

"You give me n75 for free no rebate?"

"No that phone is 150$..."

"I see it free online. And free car charger and bluetooth headset."

"**** off sir." 👀
ATTMark

Aug 4, 2007, 12:17 PM
i dont believe i said anything racist in my first post. im not a racist person . ive been all over the world and love experiencing different cultures etc. maybe im racial stereotyping but its nothing derogatoy towards indians.
ajstrong

Aug 4, 2007, 2:13 PM
no, mark, you're racist b/c you don't cower at the feet of "minorities" that deserve better than you because they're from somewhere else.
justink2006

Aug 4, 2007, 2:16 PM
aj, no one is asking to cower at anyones feet because they are from somewhere else. just acknoweldge that they are from a diffrent culture than you and accept that. if you cant be respectful to a person or that cultue dont do anything with it.
ajstrong

Aug 4, 2007, 3:12 PM
didn't mean to offend, certainly not our neighbors across the pond; the immigration stink that's been raising hell for a while now has my hackles up. "those" people (sarcasm intended) who are here without regard to the host culture should learn our ways or shut up; those that simply don't have a clue, or want a better deal I indulge and attempt to inform, should they be willing to engage in cultural conversation.

apologies, JK'06
justink2006

Aug 4, 2007, 2:22 PM
Mark, you said you been to India, when people visit they dont see how the actual people live in a place. you may have seen bartering in India. what you dont realize is that in India it happens in every field no matter what you are selling. so when a person come from that culture they will do the same thing in USA. most of the time theyan get away with it. but if you tell them fixed price they will either buyt the phone or leave the store. when customers see some thing for free they will want to get that, if you dont have that you could always try to substitute another phone. sorry if it seems lecturing, but I am an Indian I know how you feel. if you think you have it worse, you could trade places with me and see how worse it is.
ATTMark

Aug 4, 2007, 11:17 PM
i am aware it happens there every day as it happens everywhere every day . there is a car dealership 5 blocks away from my store it happens to every day. so what???? i cant go negotiate a supersized #2 at mcdonalds... i know that so i dont know . most of them have been here for years . the couple i talked to yesterday had been here for 10 years . come on its like get a clue . i was in india for 5 days and quickly found out where i could barter and where i couldnt. they know they cant they just dont want to admit it to themselves . on a happier note i started a 2 line family plan with a very nice indian couple today . all it did was take some explaining and a couple clicks on the internet to compare pricing. oh and by the way id love to see ...
(continues)
justink2006

Aug 6, 2007, 9:54 AM
the thing with indians if they think they could get away with it they will do it, no matter how many YEARS they are in US. if you go to their store, they may double charge u if they think you have no clue about the price. but not all indians are like that. if some one goes to india demand a $500 phone, they will just laugh at you n think you are crazyy
dnbstyle29

Apr 8, 2010, 5:50 PM
I think I'm gonna go down to Dunkin Donuts and demand 6 free donuts and then go down to 7-Eleven and fight to get a free 20 ounce coffee. 🤣
txsolitaire

Aug 6, 2007, 2:47 PM
that is just stupid. Sure in india everyone barters, but does it really take more than one or two times for someone to tell you 'sorry we dont barter' to make you quit the habit. I mean hey, different country.. different scenery, should ring a bell shouldnt it? thats just a cop out because indians are cheap. We all want to pay less we just know we can't get away with it. They don't. Call me racist all you want, but to quote an INDIAN Comedian : "I don't create the stereotypes, I just see them."
yeahright

Aug 6, 2007, 4:30 PM
I was explaining something on this ladies account(in her name!) and her husband screams at me and tells her to stand away from the counter. He then yells that i need to talk to him and that she does not handle these things.

Me: Sir the account is in her name, that is why I addressed the question to her
Him: You have no right to speak to her and she does not handle financial matters.
Me: Well, If you have no right to speak to me that way and if you choose to then I choose not to help you.
Him: I can't believe I am being treated this way!! I want your manager.
Me: I am the manager
Him: Well I am taking my business elsewhere, you just lost a customer

He leaves, ten minutes past, comes back in the store.

Him: Get customer service...
(continues)
ATTMark

Aug 7, 2007, 1:36 PM
see that **** is nuts lol....
BigShowJB

Aug 7, 2007, 2:34 PM
First: have some fun with him, call the cops for spousal abuse (emotional distress)

second: Ask him if she is not the one to handle financial matters, then why is the account in her name? You could also go into the patriotic section of everyone's psyche and explain about America and everything American to this loser.

you could also call customer service and change the password to some random combination of letters .... and numbers... if it's jst letters it might still spell his name .... 😛
brandonabe

Aug 7, 2007, 5:45 PM
A similar, less volotile situation occured in my store about a week ago. Account was in her name, yet I had to ask him everything about the account and he would ask her. Different culture I guess, but man it was hard for me to work with that.
scttlam

Aug 8, 2007, 6:05 PM
I have had the same experience with Indian or middle eastern people. They think that everything should have a discount or be free. I had a guy ask how to get a blackberry or a treo for free, I responded by saying when you find out please let me know so I can go there and get one to. After that he looked at me and let me run his credit for a phone. Sometimes you just have to be upfront with them and see what happens. If that don't work then try what one of my other workers said, he told the guy, "why should I give you a discount on your phone when you did not give me a discount when I got in your cab last night". Probably not the greatest thing to say but it sure was funny.

Thanks.
ATTMark

Aug 9, 2007, 1:22 PM
well the biggest problem is that wirefly makes phones look really good and free online . so they come in expecting the same price as wirefly....in the end wirefly will screw them over and they will see the hard way. but that has alot to do with it.
betty_bermuda

Aug 11, 2007, 10:27 AM
omg..yeah our store is next to a quiznos that is owned by an indian company and they would always over charge ppl who work in the shopping center but they always ALWAYS want free sh!t...
Grantizzle

Aug 9, 2007, 1:44 PM
this is why women shouldn't be allowed out of the house.
chainsaw

Aug 9, 2007, 1:44 PM
you're a culturalist. You hate their bartering culture.
ihateeverything

Aug 9, 2007, 5:34 PM
I have had one indian who didn't think this was some stand on the side of a road selling goat meat that didn't bother bartering.

Every other indian since I've worked here trys to barter and get some kind of deal. I think its because in their homeland the streets are full of nothing but vendors who they do nothing but barter with. To them it's obviously a common custom. But at the same time, a lot of them have been here for a long time, and for some reason they think their business is just SO ****ing valuable that they can distract me from other customers. Another gripe is that unlike your experiance, they usually ask an hour's worth of questions of more. Real detail oriented questions, assessing the entire offer.

Now I am willing to d...
(continues)
DE 2 Philly

Apr 5, 2010, 11:21 PM
BUMP!!!
dilligaff1

Apr 10, 2010, 5:24 PM
Why would anyone revive a Thread almost THREE YEARS OLD 😕
retrocool

Apr 6, 2010, 12:28 PM
...you are essentially signaling to everyone that what you have to say is, indeed, racist.

If I had a nickel for every time I heard a white person say "I'm not racist, but..." I'd be a multi-millionaire by now.
DE 2 Philly

Apr 6, 2010, 5:47 PM
WELLLLLLL

Considering whites are the only race that cannot talk about other races w/out being consired racists or crack jokes w/ out it being extremely racist we have to walk on egg shells hence starting w/ "im not racist"

Also, considering we are on the verge of being the minority (in the US) I hope it all switches then we dont have to be that way anymore! lol weoooohhoooooooooooooooooooo!
bobrings

Apr 8, 2010, 8:45 PM
First of all...If we (americans) were to move...lets say...France would we not have to learn the culture and the language..so when ppl come to this country they should learn how to speak english and realize that america DOES NOT BARDER EVERYTHING...THE PRICE IS WHAT IT IS DONT LIKE IT GO BACK TO YOUR OWN COUNTRY..there are americans here who work there whole life...server there country...and dont get a break on anything...but if you come from another country, right off the plane you get a "WELCOME TO AMERICA HERES SEVEN YEARS OF TAX BREAKS AND MONEY FOR YOUR OWN BUSINESS AND FREE COLLEGE FOR YOUR KIDS".But americans...work your whole life, pay your taxes heres a pat on the back. Land of the Free Home of the Foreigners.
looch_himself

Apr 8, 2010, 8:48 PM
Nice little rant there. Good points, all of them.
This_Troper

Apr 8, 2010, 8:48 PM
Way to stick it to the Interwebs.
bobrings

Apr 8, 2010, 8:53 PM
am i lying...or is it the truth???? you can call me racist...and i will say im sorry for "ranting" but i am tired of our american soldiers..going to war..and get even get help..but come off the boat and BLAM you get everything.
This_Troper

Apr 8, 2010, 8:55 PM
I for one, am infuriated by the presidency being handed to an illegal.
bobrings

Apr 8, 2010, 8:56 PM
AMEN BROTHER...........
looch_himself

Apr 8, 2010, 9:04 PM
You birthers are f#cking pathetic. I want you to PROVE to me that all previous Presidents were born in the U.S. Go ahead, I'll wait.
This_Troper

Apr 8, 2010, 9:23 PM
For the record, I was being sarcastic. I really wasn't expecting a birther...
looch_himself

Apr 8, 2010, 9:30 PM
You're forgiven.

This time....
This_Troper

Apr 8, 2010, 9:33 PM
Next Time, Gadget! NEXT TIIIIIIIIME!
looch_himself

Apr 8, 2010, 9:35 PM
REEEAAAAAAOOORRRR!!!!
DOHC

Apr 8, 2010, 9:29 PM
They all are from America.... duhhhhhh 🙄
looch_himself

Apr 8, 2010, 9:33 PM
I want pictures of their birth, sworn statements from the doctors who attended. Birth certificates can be forged, the birthers say Obamas was all the time. I will now claim that GW was born in England.
DOHC

Apr 8, 2010, 9:34 PM
yeah,, i knew a few of them 15th and under I think 3 were born out of the U.s. others just claimed they were from the U.s.
looch_himself

Apr 8, 2010, 9:37 PM
Lol. It's just crazy.
This_Troper

Apr 8, 2010, 9:40 PM
That after a mere three years we again cast off the yoke of British Imperialism!
looch_himself

Apr 8, 2010, 9:43 PM
He wasn't born in America!!! THAT'S AGAINST THE CONSTITUTION!! HIS PRESIDENCY SHOULD BE STRICKEN FROM THE RECORD!!! EVERY PRESIDENT WHO WAS BORN BEFORE 1776 SHOULD HAVE THEIR PRESIDENCY STRICKEN FROM THE RECORD!!!
DOHC

Apr 8, 2010, 9:45 PM
And their family killed... just saying 🙄
looch_himself

Apr 8, 2010, 9:46 PM
Lol, you see my point, right?
SprintCC

Apr 10, 2010, 1:49 PM
To be qualified to be President one must be a natural born citizen or have been a citizen at the time the Constitution was ratified. Simply put, there is only question about one President's birth place. The rest have valid proof that they're qualified.

I don't know where Obama was born- and don't care (people deserve what they want- they wanted him so they deserve what they get ;) ) But, I'm also smart enough to know that the proof Obama offered is less that legitimate. I don't know the circumstances, but it is clear that his birth certificate is different than others issued at the same time. I don't know why- my best guess is a clerical error at the time he was born. I just wish they'd be upfront about the whole thing so people could qu...
(continues)
ncap9022

Apr 8, 2010, 9:21 PM
How is that not racist? Saying only white people say "I'm not racist, but..."
DE 2 Philly

Apr 10, 2010, 2:41 PM
I dont agree with one thing you said, you said "I have had funny situations with people from india"

Theres nothing FUNNY about dealing with them!

Budum BUM! 😁
bobrings

Apr 10, 2010, 3:02 PM
yes there is there all idiots.
DE 2 Philly

Apr 10, 2010, 3:27 PM
I dont agree w/ that - They are actually very smart from what I've come across - very persistant in getting deals however 😛
bobrings

Apr 10, 2010, 3:33 PM
😲 anyone who doesnt understand not being able to barter is an idiot...when you tell them it is, what it is, and they still insist on arguing is an idiot..they may have intelligence...but they have no common sense. LACK OF UNDERSTANDING or WILLING TO UNDERSTAND= IDIOTS.
DE 2 Philly

Apr 10, 2010, 4:00 PM
They understand, they just dont accept the answer and still try to barter, knowing full well what the rules are lol-they just dont CARE
bobrings

Apr 10, 2010, 5:07 PM
idiots
DE 2 Philly

Apr 12, 2010, 1:45 PM
Okie Dokie
dilligaff1

Apr 12, 2010, 6:09 PM
Why would anyone revive a Thread almost THREE YEARS OLD 😕
DE 2 Philly

Apr 13, 2010, 8:43 PM
Dono, but it is still an issue.. so its a current event lol

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.