Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 26 replies

Dobson + ATT = ??

cellb1tch

Jul 2, 2007, 5:13 PM
Ok so ATT just bought Dobson, I work for Dobson and it really doesn't bother me. As long as I make as much as I do now (or more) and keep my benefits, I don't care.

ATT employees how is your pay and what's your commission structure?

And what's everyone's thoughts on the buyout?
DJ Parkay

Jul 2, 2007, 5:26 PM
How many times can a company get bought, sold and re-branded in less than 2 fiscal quarters?
Sounds like the lyrics to some crappy folk music tune. Give Bob Dylan a harmonica and a prospectus.
cellb1tch

Jul 2, 2007, 5:43 PM
well i do get "cingular one" a lot. maybe my not so smart customers got something there?
DJ Parkay

Jul 2, 2007, 5:48 PM
Cingular = number 2
cellb1tch

Jul 2, 2007, 5:58 PM
of course our customer say 'onlimited' instead of 'unlimited'.
ErikaMarie

Jul 3, 2007, 10:36 PM
You're gonna lose your job.
wearyrep

Jul 4, 2007, 5:38 AM
I don't like you 😈 keep your negativity to yourself!
Lapdog

Jul 4, 2007, 6:54 AM
*nods*

Hey the buyout is super! You'll get the opportunity to compete with the marketplace for a position with the largest US mobile company around! You'll also soon be able to offer, if you do in fact get hired by that company, to sell the miracle iPhone! It's revolutionary and is changing the way we look at cell phones! I'm excited that you'll be reviewing your resume very soon!
Ray

Jul 4, 2007, 7:45 AM
I've been through wireless carrier aquisitions before and the sad reality is that the employees of the aquired company are usually the first ones to be downsized as the aquiring company's employees are given first preference in job security which I feel is fair. Job casualties are often quite large shortly after Day 0.
krickt

Jul 5, 2007, 10:28 AM
Considering that Dobson overlaps ATT in many places, this is sadly true. However, in the rural areas, where Dobson has no GSM competition, the employees there should have at least a small amount of job security. It just depends on where you are.
ErikaMarie

Jul 4, 2007, 9:33 AM
They say it'll take about 6 months. It'll be about 3. No severance.... of course Cobra. Once AT&T buys Dobson, they can let you go.

I know this... It's not a guess.
cellb1tch

Jul 5, 2007, 9:20 AM
As long as I get unemployement I'll sit on my lazy a$$ and love it!!!!!
tonsofun5610

Jul 5, 2007, 12:14 PM
As I said before in another thread, she is just bitter because she already lost her job for not hitting her quota.
ErikaMarie

Jul 5, 2007, 12:41 PM
If anybody is bitter about Dobson it would probably be you. For legal reasons, I can obviously not go into that.

They asked if I wanted to resign. I said no, fire me... please do. I want my unemployment insurance.

Days later, they announce they're selling. Why? Because they are in debt about as much as they have. Why on earth would it be easy to make a quota for a dying company in a mall of 15 competitors?
ErikaMarie

Jul 5, 2007, 12:57 PM
"They actually fired you for that ****? Thats bullshit."

I kept asking to be fired. I knew I was being fired for a week. I told my boss he was doing me a favor. He asked if I had any advice for him & I said "Run." I've been saying it was a sinking ship. I started w/ the company in 2001. I left & was asked to come back & I did. I've been looking for a new job for quite some time but I couldn't find one w/o commuting to the next town over. They were trying not to give me my vacation cuz they needed me blah blah blah & I told them to fire me before I went on vacation because I had given them 6 months notice & my vacation was already paid for. I was going on it. The next day, they did it, & I walked out w/ a smile. Even the manager...
(continues)
cellb1tch

Jul 7, 2007, 12:18 PM
dobson, as much as anyone one but a dobson employee will believe has done nothing but grow in numbers. there were only two months last year that were not larger grrowth months than the year previous. we struggle because we dont have the money to back up the huge marketing needed to compete and our plans are not priced as high to bring in the revenue, for goodness sakes we had 22% of our revenue from roaming agreements last year... love it here hope to lose it tho when it is ATT
ErikaMarie

Jul 5, 2007, 12:39 PM
*nods*
cellDANone

Jul 5, 2007, 9:23 AM
ha ha thats funny, i also work for dobson and there is no retail store in this whole county for att or the one north to us, i bet that these two retail locations are fine
tonsofun5610

Jul 5, 2007, 12:17 PM
When ATT bought out the Dobson stores on the Eastern Shore of MD all of the employees kept their jobs. Most of them actually ended up making more money.
ErikaMarie

Jul 5, 2007, 12:43 PM
You weren't even with Dobson when that happened so how would you know? I was. I was there when they sold GA, TN, & eastern MD. I was there when they closed the KY call center, & when they closed the NY call center. I skipped out on the Alaska call center, but you were there for none of that.

I had friends who worked on the eastern shore who LOST their jobs.
tonsofun5610

Jul 5, 2007, 1:01 PM
I don't think you know who I actually am. I was definetely working for Dobson in 2003 when that happened.
ErikaMarie

Jul 5, 2007, 1:07 PM
I am so confused now.

You are Keith. You created this screen name because I used to always say I was having ton's of fun... I've stood there & watched you post on this screen name. I helped train you in 2006.
ErikaMarie

Jul 5, 2007, 1:09 PM
You're not Keith. You're using Keith's username because he left it on the computer at FSK mall.
Guy Montag

Jul 5, 2007, 12:52 PM
Why would they can you? Sure if you are a lousy sales person and it would be easy to find a better more qualified sales associate to fill your shoes, but otherwise it would make no sense. They need someone to work the stores. It wouldn't make any sense at all to purchase a large swath of territory and have no one there to man it because you decided to fire them all. 🙄
ErikaMarie

Jul 5, 2007, 1:05 PM
I thought she was, but that's beside the point.

They've done it before. Don't ask me why they do things... it seems all stupid to me. Dobson just paid a bunch of money on renovations & buying a new territory in southern WV yet they sell anyway.

In most of the areas, AT&T already has stores. For example, in my area, they may keep one store. They're gonna get rid of the kiosk. There's no reason for them to have 3 authorized dealers, 1 corporate kiosk, & a corporate store in a little mall. They may keep the inline store a few miles away, but there's already 4 other authorized dealers outside of the mall in our county alone.

Dobson consolidated 7 call centers into 3 so I think At&T would manage getting rid of most of the Dobson...
(continues)
cellb1tch

Jul 7, 2007, 9:28 AM
I'm not in a call center. Me and cellDANone work together in a retail store and the closest AT&T store is about 30 minutes away from us. There are 2 agents that are close, but one is a Radio Shack (nuff said) and another is a computer store that sells phones.
ErikaMarie

Jul 7, 2007, 9:44 AM
Then they'd likely keep the store open which means you've got a good chance. 🙂

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.