Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 22 replies

Stand or sit down

chainsaw

Jun 26, 2007, 3:40 PM
Are you retail folks allowed to sit down during your shifts or do you have to stand the whole time even if there are no customers? I make my guys stand but I wondered if you have noticed a difference in productivity?
3gee

Jun 26, 2007, 3:54 PM
When I work in a kiosk I stand the whole time even though there is a stool, but in-line stores there really isn't a need for it if there are no custys in the store.
ralph_on_me

Jun 26, 2007, 4:08 PM
I sit when there are no customers, but everyone stands when customers are in the store.
chainsaw

Jun 26, 2007, 4:36 PM
Thats exactly what I want to do but I don't want to get in trouble for it.
3gee

Jun 26, 2007, 4:43 PM
If your worried about getting in trouble it's either because your store is a wreck and needs to be cleaned, or your boss is just that much of a jerk. So which is it?
chainsaw

Jun 26, 2007, 4:53 PM
I'm not sure if he would get mad or not I just don't want him to see me sitting down he might consider it "unproductive"
3gee

Jun 26, 2007, 5:45 PM
You can only be so productive though when your not in a mall kiosk, you can't sell to customers that aren't there. However if your worried about it, I say make 'em stand it would only make you look better as the person running the store.
LaLoca1

Jun 26, 2007, 4:46 PM
I sit whenever my feet starts to hurt. I believe if u care about your workers you should allow them to sit down. It shows you are concern about them. Sometimes I'm standing while I'm doing an act and several of my customers have told me to sit down. My manager is a caring manager who doesn't mind at all if I sit down during an activation!!
chainsaw

Jun 26, 2007, 4:55 PM
Thats cool I don't mind standing during an activation in fact I actually prefer it, it's when a customer doesn't come in for 2 hours it seems pointless to make your body suffer.
MrAbstracto

Jun 26, 2007, 4:11 PM
am i the only one who read the title and thought this thread was about peeing?
3gee

Jun 26, 2007, 4:12 PM
No definitely not 🤣
MrAbstracto

Jun 26, 2007, 4:28 PM
good. I mean i know im a perv but this one was just too obvious.
Grantizzle

Jun 27, 2007, 11:52 AM
nope. i thought so too.
iRawesome

Jun 26, 2007, 4:27 PM
Our kiosk sits. The only time we stand is when helping a custy, and even then, only the person helping the custy is standing.
foxiangel5

Jun 26, 2007, 4:34 PM
same here...im all alone and work 11 hours...and my mall sucks...i sit...most of hte day...unless im helping someone, doing inventory, or cleaning..
iRawesome

Jun 26, 2007, 4:45 PM
Yeah sounds like my job, except the kiosk is too small to really get any sort of dirty, so I just sit here and surf PS all day.
PhoneyName

Jun 26, 2007, 4:48 PM
Our service counters are set up so we can sit at our computers and the customers can sit facing us. Then everyone's comfortable, and the customers are grateful for a chance to get off their feet.
Foamy

Jun 26, 2007, 5:05 PM
I would say that's the idea way. People are generally far less cranky when they get to sit down.

At my store I sit all day unless I'm showing them something. Usually I'll just point though because I'm really lazy.
d3ity

Jun 27, 2007, 11:50 AM
Personally I switch durring the day. When a customer comes in i'm usually sitting/standing by the computer (on phonescoop usually). I greet the customer and ask them what they need while I'm either still standing behind the counter or slowly walking around it. If it's an upgrade or activation, I pull up thier account and then make them take a walk with me around the store and show them phones. Then I bring them back to the counter and sit down (This encourages them to grab a chair... kind of a closing sign for me).

Most of the day, if the store is dead, I'll be sitting though. I don't generally move for accessories unless the customer can't find it. It's all pretty clearly marked (IE. Motorola on this wall, LG on this wall, demo pho...
(continues)
Grantizzle

Jun 27, 2007, 11:52 AM
wow. you sound like you're really bad at your job.
d3ity

Jun 27, 2007, 11:57 AM
It's ok. I work out.

I'm sorry for not dryhumping the customer's leg the second they walk through the door. I don't work at radioshack anymore. I will never...ever do any of that crap again. Do you know how many people hate ratshack simply because they've got someone following them around the whole store?

Seriously, our stores are not that large. They're basically a room with accessories and phones on the wall. I can easily have a conversation with someone clearly from across the whole store without any trouble. I can help a customer from standing behind the counter or standing next to them. ( I do attempt to make sure i'm not bieng a complete clerk) It's just harder to pull up an account when you're 20 feet from the computer.
Guy Montag

Jun 27, 2007, 12:21 PM
I sit and my sales are great. I do stand the moment a customer walks in the door though.
betty_bermuda

Jun 27, 2007, 12:27 PM
it depends. if there are a lot of people around i stand, if not, i sit.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.