Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 15 replies

QUAALCOM!

krickt

Jun 9, 2007, 10:21 AM
So did no one read that article? Is no one concerned about new phones for either CDMA or 3G for an indeterminate time?

I was just wondering....

This is in reference to a news article in phonescoop yesterday concerning Quaalcom. I don't do block quotes, but I'm sure it's on the front page.
ralph_on_me

Jun 9, 2007, 10:24 AM
I read it, but I can't see this really stopping anything. It may put a bottleneck on things for a week or two, but then everything will be pumped out quickly to catch up.
krickt

Jun 9, 2007, 10:29 AM
It doesn't affect phones we already sell, just anything that the carriers didn't already have shipped, but that means if they don't get this fixed, there will be no new models (including some things already announced) for CDMA or 3G until they take care of this.....

Personally, I hate Quaalcom. They chased Nokia out of CDMA, and deserve to burn in hell!

Quaalcom can make this go fast or slow.
ralph_on_me

Jun 9, 2007, 10:31 AM
Yeah, but they'll probably reach an agreement to get them in while all of this is pending. Just like how Verizon probably wont be allowed to shut down Amp'd.
d3ity

Jun 9, 2007, 10:35 AM
I was really looking forward to seeing Amp'd get thier service cut off by VZW...

I just think it'd be funny for once for a cell phone company to have thier phones shut off for not paying thier bill.
katrina

Jun 9, 2007, 1:30 PM
LOL yep, that happened once in the office I used to work in... it was hilarious working for a phone company that got their service cut off for non payment! I told everyone I knew about it :-)
krickt

Jun 9, 2007, 10:36 AM
Let's hope so! We were about to launch bunches of summer phones! I hope they had imported before this happened!

It's not like the Blackberry thing (which was similar) that Blackberry needed to fix quickly.... Quaalcom could, if they wanted to, hold the CDMA and 3G carriers ransom while they battle at their leisure. They have lots to lose and much to gain unless they are positive that it's going to go against them, which, I believe it will.

I'm just worried that it might effect the new releases all summer and Christmas....
d3ity

Jun 9, 2007, 10:34 AM
It does slightly interest me as I work for a cmda carrier...

However, 3G is just a bunch of useless hype at this point. It's just another reason you need an extended battery.
oudidntkn0w

Jun 9, 2007, 11:22 AM
really verizon wont have to worry until about 3 months from now. . most of the new phones launching within months from now are already sitting in their warehouse (exam. VX8550)
krickt

Jun 9, 2007, 11:27 AM
Yeah, that's what I'm hoping, that most of the phones for the summer are already here. it will affect back to school releases and Christmas..... if this doesn't get resolved soon.

I'm just hoping that Quaalcom doesn't drag this out. They are kinda in a no win situation.
katrina

Jun 9, 2007, 1:32 PM
are you having any customers coming in or calling about it?
d3ity

Jun 9, 2007, 1:33 PM
Not yet... We might see one person mention it, but customers in general won't really know a thing about it I'm betting.
katrina

Jun 9, 2007, 1:36 PM
At least until Channel 5 has an expose on it and makes it sound like all CDMA carriers are going out of busuniess... local news is bad about that kind of thing when they pick up on it. (remember "Coming up at 6, why the iPod may be dangerous to your health")
d3ity

Jun 9, 2007, 1:57 PM
Yeah, that'll be fun. But seriously, there are probably people who work for qualcomm and don't know the diffrence between CDMA and GSM
katrina

Jun 9, 2007, 2:03 PM
🤣 🤣 🤣 I bet that's very true. Someone tried to convice me the other day that there are really only 2 carriers in the US, "GSM" and "CDMA" and Spint, Verizon, T-Mo, etc just make agreements to use "GSM"'s network so all GSM carriers have the same coverage and all CDMA carriers have the same coverage... that was fun trying to explain to him why he was wrong, but a tiny bit right when you take into account that carriers don't actually own the towers for much of their network LOL
RaunchyFarts

Jun 9, 2007, 2:54 PM
The CDMA Titanic just hit the USITC ban iceberg. Abandon ship! Abandon ship! Everyone except the wireless carrier CEO captains to the rescue boats ASAP! I see a few GSM 2EQs in the distance. We're saved!

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.