Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 11 replies

Is this unethical?

ralph_on_me

May 18, 2007, 2:18 PM
I just had a custy who had gone over her minutes. It wasn't by much (less than $20), but she wanted to get on a lower plan because she couldn't afford the plan she was on with the overage.

After about ten minute of trying to explain how that would cost her more, I finally just said I wouldn't do it and she'd have to call CS for it. Should I have changed the plan even though it's going to cost her more minutes (and no she wasn't going to cut down on talking, she's been in here every month since she got the phone).
Guy Montag

May 18, 2007, 2:23 PM
Hm, technically we should make changes to customers accounts per their request but I see your point on this one. I personally would have begrudgingly made the change but with strong suggestion that they do not change it. When ever this has come up for me they have changed their minds. Perhaps you should have changed it, so she could learn a $100+ dollar lesson on stupid choices.
ralph_on_me

May 18, 2007, 2:26 PM
She still hasn't paid off her bill from her previous provider, I know she can't afford a $100 lesson. You'd think these consistent $20 lessons would have taught her, but they're not.

It's like someone walking up to me and asking me to punch them in the face. Sure, I may want to, but no matter how much they want me to doesn't make it any more "right" to do. Ugh. I know I'm supposed to, but I just notated the account and gave her CS's number to have it done. I don't want to be a party to that.
Guy Montag

May 18, 2007, 2:35 PM
I hate those situations. Any time I hook up a customer that can obviously barely afford the service I cringe as I do it. All you can do is explain how to manage their minutes and suggest per what they use. Beyond that it is out of your hands. Its good that you feel for the people you assist but it sucks when they do not want to be rational. I could never work in Corrections as it would drive me into mad depression for the same reasons. ☹️
Nikoletta

May 18, 2007, 3:56 PM
I think I would have (after much argument) made the changes and noted (in no uncertain terms) that I have advised the customer that this plan is going to cost more in overages, that I have gone over minutes uses and overage charges, and that I have advised the customer against this change. Make sure you cover your rear but in the end we have to do what they want with their account, even if it's stupid.
that_one_girl

May 18, 2007, 4:27 PM
That is exactly what I was going to say.
cilvzwagent

May 18, 2007, 4:02 PM
We have the right to refuse service to any person at any time for any reason. And if they have a problem with us refusing to do something that would in the end cost them more money and cause them to come back and yell at us later, that can continue to be their problem. Because I won't do it.
knn_dm

May 18, 2007, 4:09 PM
I probably would have done the same thing. I wouldn't want to run the risk of changing the plan and then later have her come in with $100 in overage saying that she was unaware of the price change and therefore your company owes her whatever the overage is. Smart move in my opinion.
nuckingfuts

May 18, 2007, 4:19 PM
Have her sign a copy of her new rate plan............ a CSS if it is Cingular......
Nikoletta

May 18, 2007, 5:48 PM
That would be best, put what you're telling her in writing and make her sign up.
Webb

May 18, 2007, 9:51 PM
I would've explained what she was getting into, and if she still insisted, I'd have done it for her.

But I'd have made her sign a release explicitly stating that the results were her own damned fault.
ralph_on_me

May 19, 2007, 1:02 AM
There's nothing official for her to sign though. I did notate the account as a CYA thing, but I just wouldn't change it. I didn't say, "No" just that I wouldn't do it and gave her the CS number.

Honestly, if it'd been some random person off the street I'd have probably done it, but this woman comes in EVERY month for something.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.