Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 10 replies

O.O

ralph_on_me

May 17, 2007, 11:33 AM
C: "My phone is doing something weird and I just wanna make sure it's not gonna kill me or something!"

Me: "Okay, lets take a look at it."

C: She pulls it out of her purse. "It has something brown on it, see, and it's on the inside too!" she says while opening and handing me the phone.

Me: ๐Ÿคจ "Where's the..."

C: "And look! It moves too!!"

Me: ๐Ÿ˜ณ "Where is it at?" ๐Ÿ˜•

C: She takes off her sunglasses and says, "It's right... oh, where'd it go? Wait, was it from my sunglasses? Did I drive all the way up here and it was just my sunglasses?"

Me: "Are those polarized lenses by chance?"

C: "****. Don't go home and tell your wives how stupid I am."

Okay, I'll just tell the people on phonescoop...
Foamy

May 17, 2007, 11:40 AM
I've had that once.

The lady said "The screen on my phone is all jacked up." (her words).

Before I even looked at the phone I asked if the sunglasses she was wearing were polarized.

She took them off, looked at the phone again simply said "Crap, I'm such a retard." and left.

Fortunately, I managed to stifle the laughter until she got out the door.
Guy Montag

May 17, 2007, 12:02 PM
Lol, the first one I had brought her phone in with the same "issue" and asked me to look at it. When she came in she had taken her glasses off. Since we couldn't replicate the issue I sent her on her way. Two seconds out the door and she came right back in, this time with her glasses on. Took a moment to figure it out. She felt pretty silly. I imagine we will start seeing alot of this again. Last summer I had about five people come in.
bdizzle

May 17, 2007, 12:29 PM
What does polarized lenses do to Phones? I have been in the industry for a few years, but live in the rainy city. We don't get a lot of sunglass wearers up here.
Foamy

May 17, 2007, 12:35 PM
Polarized lenses will reveal flaws in plastic.

It's not just phones it's just about anything plastic, or even the tint on car windows.

You'll see spots or lines across the screen.
Nikoletta

May 17, 2007, 3:31 PM
That's awesome, I'd never heard about that, I'm going to have to get some polarized glasses this summer just to check that out!

Only thing I ever bothered with polarized glasses for before was back when I was thinking about majoring in aquaculture and wanted to watch the little fishes.
Foamy

May 17, 2007, 3:38 PM
I'm pretty well blind in direct sunlight (or even indirect sunlight for that matter) so I have to have really dark sunglasses.

I can't find any that work well enough that I still don't squint, but polarized lenses are about as good as I can get (without spending hundreds of dollars anyway).
darkweb

May 17, 2007, 5:02 PM
Ahem... Mr. Science Guy here.

Most phone screens are a type of LCD (Liquid crystal display). The LCD works with an electrical current to "flip" or "align" the crystals in a way that will cause the LCD to be opaque in areas. The LCD does this in a way to make numbers/letters/icons. When you put on polarized lenses (sunglasses usually), the polarization blocks light of a certain wavelength. What you are seeing in the LCD is light "bands" at the edge of the wavelength that is filtered or blocked by your sunglasses. You'll also experience this with Laptop screens, polarized auto glass, etc.

For further info
http://www.howstuffworks.com/lcd.htm »
krickt

May 17, 2007, 5:05 PM
And some kinds of celophane (they don't make it much any more) tape. As an ex physical science teacher, that was a fun lab to play with.
ima_gn0me

May 17, 2007, 3:39 PM
That is classic!! ๐Ÿคฃ
krickt

May 17, 2007, 4:53 PM
I agree, I can't wait for this one to happen!

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.