Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 21 replies

Stores w/ out a live bar

timslo

May 9, 2007, 12:20 PM
If your store does not have a live bar, will you break out a new phone from the box to demo the ringer (it needs to be loud) or any other feature? Just curious cuz I had a customer tell me he's not buying a phone without listening to it first and I said he could but we didn't have it in stock so he left. I was trying to sell him something different but he was persistent. Any thoughts?
knn_dm

May 9, 2007, 12:38 PM
We have no live phones on display at my store. I always pull phones out of the boxes in situations like that.
krickt

May 9, 2007, 12:59 PM
I have a live bar, but more than half of my phones are fakies. I have no problem pulling a phone out and demoing ringtones, or speaker phone for people. But I won't let them go in willy nilly and start changing settings and such.
timslo

May 9, 2007, 1:14 PM
Thanks for the input and to knn also. I've done it before, but sometimes I feel the customer tries to take advantage of those situations and still not buy from you. I agree not to let the customer go "willy nilly" too.
ralph_on_me

May 9, 2007, 1:59 PM
I will if they're serious about buying. If not, then no.
timslo

May 9, 2007, 2:05 PM
I'm with you here. I said in an earlier response that a customer may be taking to much advantage reps who do this willingly.
ralph_on_me

May 9, 2007, 2:07 PM
Yep. They only time I've actually pulled out a series of phones for a customer was when they were hearing impaired. A lot of phones work differently with hearing aides, and the only way to find what works best is to try a few.
newfette

May 9, 2007, 3:32 PM
how can they take advantage of seeing a phone out of the box??
krickt

May 9, 2007, 3:53 PM
I stand between the customer and the door, and I don't allow them to mess with the settings. I've had customers try to make calls with phones, and I've had customers try to get out of the store with live phones. It doesn't work. We don't leave anyone standing near a live phone unsupervised because of the risk of theft loss.
yellowandblack

May 9, 2007, 2:27 PM
I have a live demo of every phone we carry and I have customers all the time who want to "see" (which means touch/hold) the phones all the time. They expect me to pull a brand new phone out of the box and upwrap it and put the whole thing together just so they can "See how it feels" PICK IT UP AND FEEL IT THEN! The phone is right there! See with your eyes, not with your hands!
newfette

May 9, 2007, 3:31 PM
yeah... it takes what 2 minutes to take a phone out of a box and pop a battery in it??
Iammobile

May 9, 2007, 3:39 PM
The problem with where I am is we are in a kiosk. Several kiosks in the mall have ha customers try to run off with phones. I have never had this but I know several people that have so I am very careful with showing live phones.
MrAbstracto

May 9, 2007, 4:54 PM
Just keep a gun under the counter.
jwkviper

May 9, 2007, 4:58 PM
hmm, fantastic idea but i wonder how many permits you would need for a concealed weapon in a public area?
Iammobile

May 9, 2007, 5:01 PM
I think it would be more hassle than it's worth. We just use discretion and never let phones out of our sight.
jwkviper

May 9, 2007, 5:31 PM
your right, having to het the concealed handgun liscense is a pain in the @$$ and not worth it. using common sense and discretion is just a hell of a lot easier.
MrAbstracto

May 9, 2007, 6:55 PM
But shooting punks who steal phones would be a lot more fun, you have to give me that.
Iammobile

May 9, 2007, 7:06 PM
I do give you that. It would be alot of fun, but also messy. Then I would have to clean the kiosk and you know how hard it is to clean up blood. It's even worse if you get gray matter and guts all over the place. FUN YES but too much clean up.
MrAbstracto

May 9, 2007, 7:25 PM
Thats why you wait until they are out of splatter range before you open fire. 🙂
jwkviper

May 9, 2007, 7:51 PM
splatter range depends on what type of gun you are using. 😁
cingcing

May 9, 2007, 4:22 PM
Suck.
gozvzw

May 9, 2007, 7:32 PM
With Verizon you will get docked on a Mystery Shop if you dont have live phones or pull a few out of phones for the customer to look at.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.