show all 42 replies

have you ever had to fire someone??

newfette

Apr 26, 2007, 8:22 AM
how scary is it???

cause i thik i might have to
Foamy

Apr 26, 2007, 9:18 AM
I've had people fired. I've threatened to fire people.

I've never had to directly fire somebody though. I usually just piss them off until they quit. That way they can't collect unemployement. đŸ¤Ŗ
M15TER P1NK

Apr 26, 2007, 11:04 AM
You can only collect unemployment if you were Laid Off... which implies no fault of the employee, the company simply couldnt afford to keep paying the person. If you are fired for breaking company policy, theft, excessive latness, sexual harrassment, etc. then you cannot... at least thats the way it works in the state of md... im sure it varies from state to state...
Guy Montag

Apr 26, 2007, 10:44 AM
I have a few times. First time I was nervous but after that it didn't affect me so much. I think people realize when they are working poorly and expect it to happen eventually.
newfette

Apr 26, 2007, 10:56 AM
yeah i'm missing 120 bucks total from three different nightly deposits and the same girl closes every night
krickt

Apr 26, 2007, 10:59 AM
Uh, Oh. Yep, at the very least, you need to talk with her. If she's stealing she'll get defensive quick, or else she'll just stomp out the door in a huff.
Guy Montag

Apr 26, 2007, 11:02 AM
It doesn't matter really if she is stealing or not though. I agree in her likely actions but when it comes down to it, her responsibility is to make sure the deposit is accurate. If she fails to do so on multiple accounts then I would give her the axe.
krickt

Apr 26, 2007, 11:05 AM
Amen, but you can't do that without talking to her at least a little. She'll know she's doing the right thing pretty quickly. Besides an employee who isn't smart enough to hide money better than that, isn't smart enough to keep her job anyway.
Guy Montag

Apr 26, 2007, 11:12 AM
Speaking of money and temptation, I was once making a night deposit at the bank and when I pulled out the drop box drawer out came flying Victoria's Secret's entire deposit into my face. So I'm standing there mid December even with thousands of dollars in my hands... Yeah, I redeposited it correctly this time but wow did I have to think on that one!
krickt

Apr 26, 2007, 11:19 AM
You are a saint! Good man!
Guy Montag

Apr 26, 2007, 12:03 PM
Thanks! But I did think about it for a second or twenty. I also think they have cameras on those things so I don't know how I would have reacted if circumstances had been otherwise. I like to think I would still deposit it but yeah, ya never know.
krickt

Apr 26, 2007, 12:13 PM
All you need to know is that you have it within you to do the right thing. The rest takes care of it'sself when the time comes.
brentgodwin

Apr 26, 2007, 11:27 AM
I had to that about 10 years ago with a cousin of mine that worked for this restaurant I was managing..She was working there when I got hired.

I had major trouble in controlling cash when I first took over the store..

I was lucky enough to have a video camera and tape to call her into the office and showed her what she did.

I had to also do it with my assistant manager as well. Her shift was always coming up short and we aren't talking pennies or a few bucks..(over $100 each night up to $400). I never actually caught her but its her shift and she was warned on multiple occasions..

Be careful. Don't accuse. Make her aware of the problem and let her know that you are going to watching her pretty close. Then if it happens again wri...
(continues)
newfette

Apr 26, 2007, 11:33 AM
the thing is it's not my decision if she goes or not..

i don't care if it's 120 bucks or 12. if you need money then talk to me like an adult and I'll give you a pay advance and they could pay it back on pay day.

hell if they didn't want to talk to me they could even just leave a not in the deposit...

but this me not knowing where it went crap sucks and makes me sick to my stomach. I've put SO much blood sweat and tears into this store that this really bothers me
brentgodwin

Apr 26, 2007, 11:54 AM
I can understand how frustrating it is...

Pull her aside, make her aware of the problem, then see where it goes from there..Maybe she will be honest with you..
newfette

Apr 26, 2007, 12:03 PM
I've asked her and she said she's got no idea, she said she understand that everything point to her and to take it out of her paycheck if people this she did it which also makes me suspicious
brentgodwin

Apr 26, 2007, 12:50 PM
Yea..me too...probably best to let her go..

I don't know how your labor laws are set up..how long has she been with you?
krickt

Apr 26, 2007, 12:53 PM
Agreed, time to let her go. She did it, and doesn't expect you to do anything about it, or she's covering for someone else, and figures she can recover easier.
Foamy

Apr 26, 2007, 11:57 AM
Scare her.

Just casually mention about how the deposit have been coming up short lately and mention how you're going to have to check the security cameras to see what happened (even if you don't have cameras, she won't know).

She'll probably fess up pretty quickly in the interest of keeping her job.
brentgodwin

Apr 26, 2007, 11:19 AM
It can be scary....I have done it over 50 times in my management career...

Don't be nervous...
krickt

Apr 26, 2007, 11:20 AM
And if you are nervous, don't let 'em see it!
cremz

Apr 26, 2007, 11:56 AM
but more as promoting them....

to customer...
craptacularwireless

Apr 27, 2007, 2:29 PM
đŸ¤Ŗ
Lapdog

Apr 26, 2007, 12:46 PM
Newfette,

After reading many many many posts from you I find it amazing that you are scared to fire someone. From your personality here online I would think it would be a piece of cake for you.

I guess you just like to act like a toughie.
newfette

Apr 26, 2007, 1:24 PM
there's a big difference between being a bitch to someone I dont like and having to fire someone who is a good friend of mine.

especially since i've never done it before.

I take my job very seriously and it's one thing that i dont screw around with
MrAbstracto

Apr 26, 2007, 1:05 PM
I 'fired' my wife, does that count?
craptacularwireless

Apr 27, 2007, 2:31 PM
đŸ¤Ŗ đŸ¤Ŗ
newfette

Apr 26, 2007, 1:26 PM
the owner was just here and he just told me not to sweat the small stuff..

it makes me physically sick to my stomach to think that no one cares that this girl is stealing money from the company except me...

if it wasn't so hard to find a job here I would quit over this I'm so disgusted
MrAbstracto

Apr 26, 2007, 1:31 PM
You should leave a bag of flaming poo on the theifs doorstep. that'll teach her.

Or just spank her. and send the video to... 😉
newfette

Apr 26, 2007, 1:33 PM
I appreciate you trying to make me smile but it's really not gonna work
MrAbstracto

Apr 26, 2007, 1:34 PM
☚ī¸
raycarroll70

Apr 27, 2007, 1:38 PM
When I worked for Rack Room Shoes as an assistant store manager, I had to downsize my staff due to economic recession in my market. It wasn't bad. I slept well the night of dropping the War Hammer on their heads. I figured that comes with the territory of having anisocial personality discorder. I look at it this way...It's business...not personal. I do hope one day to find myself back in a position where the stroke of a pen determines the career of an employee. I've been there done that so I can honestly say I know what both sides of the razor's edge looks like and feels. 😁 😁 😁
mapleleaf88

Apr 27, 2007, 1:44 PM
that is the scariest thing I have ever read. 👀
Navajo Mojo

Apr 27, 2007, 1:45 PM
😲 A dance of forgiveness I shall do to purge you of the evil spirits your body harbors as well as chants of purity to cleanse your mind of it's wicked thoughts.
Guy Montag

Apr 27, 2007, 1:49 PM
Thats not very funny.
ralph_on_me

Apr 27, 2007, 1:52 PM
What's funny is imagining Ray in management. đŸ¤Ŗ
Guy Montag

Apr 27, 2007, 1:55 PM
Unless you work under him! đŸ˜ŗ
I would picture something like Lumberg in Office Space only more weaselly and with a multiple personallity disorder.
ralph_on_me

Apr 27, 2007, 2:00 PM
I can't imagine him getting back into management.
Guy Montag

Apr 27, 2007, 2:03 PM
Sometimes time pays off. Years in and new upper management have landed people promotions they didn't deserve. When I worked at Starbucks this girl got a promotion before me do to her time in the store and their was a near revolt in the store! Some people look good on paper. ☚ī¸
tmbold

Apr 27, 2007, 3:42 PM
i picture him as one of the bob's. you know he celebrates Micheal Bolton's complete catalog
Guy Montag

Apr 27, 2007, 3:48 PM
Lol,

"Looks like you have been missing a lot of work lately."

"I wouldn't say I have been missing it Bob."

I could see that.
raycarroll70

Apr 28, 2007, 6:37 AM
As long as no one messed with my red Swingline stapler, all was well.
deliriumfrenzy

Apr 28, 2007, 11:59 AM
But then you had to take it away from Milton, and the building was set on fire. Shame shame shame.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.