Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 20 replies

Dear internet and telesales.

cingcing

Apr 7, 2007, 3:20 PM
If the customer buys the phone from you, that's your customer, not mine. Do NOT, I repeat, NOT send them to a store for "free" services such as replacing a SIM or activating the phone or transferring the phonebook.
razzledazzle

Apr 7, 2007, 3:23 PM
😁 *clapping* 😉
deliriumfrenzy

Apr 7, 2007, 3:30 PM
I work in 'net sales, and so you know, thanks to reading your guys' posts on here, I always make sure to mention that there may be a charge.

Also, I specify between direct and indirect.
cingcing

Apr 7, 2007, 3:38 PM
What do you send customers to a store for?
deliriumfrenzy

Apr 7, 2007, 4:24 PM
When there's something that I can't help them with, when they just insist on going into a store, when the website just doesn't want to work for them and their only option will be Telesales or a store (Telesales will give them the same offer as the store), when they want things like phonebook transfer when their phone doesn't have Get it Now and therefore Backup Assistant, etc.

Basically, whenever it would be more helpful to them. I don't make commission, so I don't really give a sh!t about the sales.
cingcing

Apr 10, 2007, 1:32 PM
deliriumfrenzy said:
I don't make commission, so I don't really give a sh!t about the sales.

We do, and we do.
deliriumfrenzy

Apr 10, 2007, 3:37 PM
If I did, then I would.
cingcing

Apr 10, 2007, 4:03 PM
If a customer buys a phone online cause they get a lower price, fine, so be it. They weren't willing to pay the extra $15 or $20 dollars for my service, my time, my expertise, then I see no reason why I should help them finish the transaction.

Once they are a customer for a while, fine. Customer service is a part of my job. But I'm here to make money, and I can't be tied up with someone elses customer when I don't stand to profit on them. It's especially frustrating when other reps send customers in for just that reason.

My time is valuable, and if as much of your income was at risk, yours would be too.
deliriumfrenzy

Apr 10, 2007, 4:12 PM
Are you a Verizon rep? If so, what would you want me to do? If there's something I can't do anything about online, and if customer care can't help them, then I'll send them to a local store. I'll make sure to specify direct and indirect, and all that stuff. I don't mean to waste your time, it's just what I have to do.

Seriously, though. I've only been in this business a few months. Got any advice?

Also, what do you make hourly? I know it's not just commission, or is it?
johnnyslick

Apr 11, 2007, 4:56 AM
It really, really depends on what you want the customer to do. I'm a Verizon care rep as well and pretty much the *only* two things I tell people to go into the store for are:

- Getting their phone swapped out or flashed after I've run through all the tech support that I can and have definitively decided that the customer's issue is something that I can't fix or send a note to get fixed.

- Buying a new phone (or, occasionally, a lost/stolen replacement phone) when they'd rather buy in person than get it sent to them.

Anything else, I don't send them out because quite frankly I can't guarantee to them that they'll receive the same level of service they're getting from me. Nothing against you guys in the stores; some of you are great....
(continues)
deliriumfrenzy

Apr 11, 2007, 11:11 AM
Well, I do all of that. Those're the basics. Guess I'm doing ok then. Usually, when I send someone to a store, they're going to buy a phone, so I'm sending you guys money.

What about for insurance or manufacturer's warranty claims? When I send someone to a store to verify if their phone falls under a manufacturer's error, does that make you guys lose money at all? Let me know, as well as other stuff like that so I can avoid it in the future.
johnnyslick

Apr 11, 2007, 11:59 AM
You can check for water damage pretty easily, and usually a person can tell if their phone is physically damaged - scratches are OK but if it's broken in half or the screen's cracked, they need to go to insurance. In my experience, once you point out that if you send them a FRU and they send back a damaged phone, they have to pay full retail, people will generally want to go into the store out of their own accord.

That being said, we send out too many FRUs and there are, after all, techs in the stores, so I think it's okay to err on the side of sending people there in that situation only. I wouldn't send that customer to an indirect agent or a kiosk, though.
computerking

Apr 12, 2007, 9:54 AM
if the customer did NOT buy the phone here, I will not do warranty repair. Why should I pay $6 to send a phone UPS to the manufacturer if they didnt buy it here. Then waste my time making sure the package gets there, track it there and back to my store. After all, this does take time, and time is money. As for insurance claims, those are just a waste of my time.
cingcing

Apr 11, 2007, 8:34 PM
I obviously hourly wages vary but I will tell you that it's almost enough to pay my bills, 35 to 40% of my income is commission. I get cranky when i miss sales.
M15TER P1NK

Apr 7, 2007, 4:34 PM
"Telesales said they would swap my phonebook for me..."

well id be happy to swap you phonebook free of charge since it is a free service provided by sprint... but good luck actually getting telesales to do it... what they probably ment to say is...

"the nice, much more helpful than me, handsomer than i saleserson at the Sprint corperate store will be happy to swap your phonebook for you."
bdizzle

Apr 10, 2007, 1:41 PM
Wow, a true salesperson would appreciate the fact that telesales sent them in to the store. It gives you a chance to sell them accessories. How many times does the customer decline accessories over the phone, but comes in to buy a car charger, leather case or a blue-tooth headset? This just gives you an extra opportunity.

Also, very rarely does telesales actually correctly provision an account, thus setting the sales rep up for feature sales!

Please keep sending people into my store for contact transfers! I like to sell, and I cannot tell you how much money I have made on you guys!

Telesales Please quit sending me customers! I don't like extra traffic, and my wife does not like to go out to nice restaurants.
cremz

Apr 10, 2007, 4:10 PM
I agree to a point but any of their problems, we inherit, and I love to tell a person, because they bought it from [insert non corp/agent store], that I can't help them they need to go there. I enjoy them coming here and not getting help.

Example I tell the customers; If you bought a TV from walmart and brought it to best buy for service on the same TV, would they help you for free just cause you bought a magnovox at walmart cause it was $10 cheaper?
JimmyTaliban

Apr 10, 2007, 4:07 PM
Stop wasting our inventory. The customer will get a POS phone, want to exchange it for a high end, and telesales/internet will send them to our store for the exchange. That pisses me off, because:

A. I'll eventually lose a sale because we don't have the nice phones in stock.

B. The back end will end up charging the cust for the returned phone, then they have to fax in paperwork and reciepts showing the phone was returned.
deliriumfrenzy

Apr 10, 2007, 4:29 PM
If it's an exchange, I NEVER send them anywhere but where they got the phone. If that ever happens to anyone, it is NOT my fault. I always tell them they have to take it back to where they bought it, or if they bought it online, to send it back to us.

I really hate having to tell people common sense sh!t. It almost seems like we are furthering the public's reliance on Customer Service telling them what they should be able to figure out on their own. I've actually had to say "You have to pay for one phone to get another free in a Buy One Get One free deal." I was both glad and somewhat scared that he didn't think I was getting smart with him, 'cause if someone said that to me as if I didn't know that, I'd be pissed.
johnnyslick

Apr 11, 2007, 4:58 AM
Wow, that sucks. I know I try to send out the exchange myself if they bought it over the phone and explain to them that if they take it into the store they're entrusting another person who might forget to put the phone in the mailbox so it gets back to the warehouse on time. Then I mention the full retail price of the phone and that usually gets them willing to wait the day or two it takes to receive the replacement.
sweetsoprano

Apr 10, 2007, 4:17 PM
I only refer a custy to a store in fraud cases or if they want the phone RIGHT THEN. And I always advise customers that store personnel may charge a fee to transfer the phonebook. (I don't know if USCC actually does or not, but I always tell them they might so they don't expect it to be free. I mean, it IS something they're capable of doing for themselves...)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.