Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 28 replies

Premium SMS

dalily21

Feb 18, 2007, 3:41 PM
I hate getting those calls. People all the time CLAIMING they never enrolled in these services (isn't that how it always is). I also hate it when it's new phone #. I had this 70 year old lady that was getting these messages and I had to walk her through unsubscribing from their services. You would think that when a # is disconnected for at least 30 days (then re-assigned to a new customer) the premium sms companies would stop sending messages!?!?! I gave her credit for all the charges on her bills. I wish these companys would just become illegal already, even though they wont.

Most of the time I don't issue any type of credit, I tell them they're valid. I had this father that had nearly 200 dollars worth of charges on his 2 lines (one hi...
(continues)
robtheman

Feb 18, 2007, 3:44 PM
I hate premium text packages. We get a ton of complaints about people not signing up for anything, but getting premium text messages. I didn't believe them either until my boss started getting premium text on his phone. I know that he never signed up for anything. Now he's fighting with the carrier (as anybody else would do) to not pay the charges. I wish that the premium text places would just disappear. I can't think of anyone that would actually want that service anyway.
Alltel Sales Guy

Feb 18, 2007, 3:50 PM
gee....who wouldn't want to pay 10 bucks for computer generated horoscopes, and lame ass jokes
robtheman

Feb 18, 2007, 3:54 PM
That's my point. I don't even know why these services exist.
Alltel Sales Guy

Feb 18, 2007, 3:58 PM
because how many blind rich 70 year olds are there out there who have thier bill on auto pay and don't even notice the 10.00
robtheman

Feb 18, 2007, 4:02 PM
I've seen people with $200-$300 in premium text charges in one month. It's ridiculous.
USCELLGIRL

Feb 19, 2007, 10:14 AM
We dont have agreements for premium texts so our customers cant subscribe to them. I have customers wanting to know why they cant play "Deal or No Deal" I share the stories I read on here about these premium messeges and I get told, "Well we should at least have the option!"

Jeesh people! Damned if you do, and Damned if you dont!
krickt

Feb 19, 2007, 10:54 AM
Amen, sister. We get the same thing. "Why can't we get free ringtones txted to our cell phones?"
I always show them a few saved messages from this board about how hard they are to get stopped and how they aren't really free, then just shrug my shoulders and wait for them to leave the store.

You are right.
txsolitaire

Feb 18, 2007, 3:44 PM
Yea I just had one where the guy had been using internet without a data plan for months. like 6. and is just now calling wantin to know why his bill is so high and claiming he never used the internet (yea sure buddy) even though he has like 10 downloads he supposedly has no knowledge of. best part of this call? claiming he didnt download the fergie ringer, and hearing his other phone ring with that ringer in the background...
mallbound

Feb 18, 2007, 4:22 PM
I had to write a proposal paper for my ENGL 200 class and I chose premium SMS as my topic. I'm trying to figure out what would be a mutually agreable solution. So far I've though that the company has to provide the account password or csts last 4 of social to verify the charge as well as solve the issues where soemone (the kids) were using the sms. Sucha s for the new commercials saying text joke adn the last four of the account holder's social to 12345 The only exception being voting or poll type sms's which are initiated only the customer anyways. Plus this would solve our problems because the account holder would HAVE to have said yes because the company got their last four of the social. Any ideas or sources of good info on the topic...
(continues)
Alltel Sales Guy

Feb 18, 2007, 4:30 PM
not a bad idea, but i fear that giving the companies even more sensitive cust data might encurage some sort of phishing scheme.
mallbound

Feb 18, 2007, 4:33 PM
They could also say account password too instead. Just something verifying that the customer did actually subscribe to it verifying it against what the carrier has. regardless I'm sure we all agree that something needs to me done about it.
dalily21

Feb 18, 2007, 4:57 PM
I love this idea. But yeah, these premium SMS are getting way out of hand.
ZeroSanity

Feb 19, 2007, 11:12 PM
Or, they could make them do it the same way every internet forum in the world almost does it. In order to be enrolled, you would have to aggree to a message from the carrier (through email or some such) saying that you agree to X fee per message.

It would make the premium SMS companies really angry, but then again, they make us really angry. It's time for a bit of payback, I say.

I personally just had a fight with T-Mobile concerning being 'slammed' with PSMS. I received a message from an unknown number, which was fairly normal for me, as I just switched carriers and didn't have most of my contacts re-entered into my new phone. When I opened the message, it was blank. Then, I started getting the other messages. It was something c...
(continues)
robtheman

Feb 18, 2007, 4:33 PM
There are already several companies that require the last four digits of the social before they start sending the premium texts. It would be worth looking into how much profit they make versus the companies that don't require the last four digits of the social. If they're still making a good profit, there would be no reason for the other companies to fight that rule.
mallbound

Feb 18, 2007, 4:34 PM
Which companies? So far all the ones I've run across don't require anything other than a number and a text ☹️
captainplooky

Feb 18, 2007, 5:10 PM
Using the last four digits of the SSN# or the account password is a bad idea in my opinion.

SSN#'s should not be used by companies, universities, and etc for identifying anyone. The use of SSN's for purposes other than taxation purposes is reckless, and hopefully will be outlawed on the Federal level (they are trying).

The account password falls into a similar category as the SSN in regards to SMS Premium Services. Considering the unscrupulous nature of these services, I would certainly not trust them with such sensitive information.

Hell, why not make it the mother's maiden name so that identity theft is as easy as possible for them.
robtheman

Feb 18, 2007, 5:19 PM
I may be misunderstanding you, but if people don't give up a social security number, how would the credit system work? How would you go about getting a bank loan, for example?

My university just got rid of using the social for an identification number last year. I'm glad they did.
captainplooky

Feb 18, 2007, 5:47 PM
I'm running short on time, but there is a wealth of information available on why you should refuse to give your SSN to institutions that have no need for such information.

In addition, btw, you don't have to give a SSN to have a credit check.

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/Banking/Financia ... »

Who has the right to ask for your digits?
While any business can ask for your Social Security number, there are very few entities that can actually demand it -- motor vehicle departments, tax departments and welfare departments, for example.

Also, SSNs are required for transactions involving taxes, so that means banks, brokerages, employers, and the like also have a legitimate need for your SSN.

Mos
(continues)
robtheman

Feb 18, 2007, 5:57 PM
Well, depending on how you go about student loans, some universities would need it as well. Your article brings up that banks have a legitimate reason to ask which was essentially my original question.

I can't speak for Bell South, but I do know that you don't have to give up your social security number to get a cell phone. You just have a huge deposit when you refuse to give it out. I would imagine that a lot of services work that way.
mallbound

Feb 18, 2007, 5:28 PM
How else can these companies verify with the carriers that the subscriber wants the service they are offering. They could do the last four of the account number. That way there wouldn't be any personal information exchange. Setting up a whole other premium text messaging password would be involved and it would become too cumbersome for customers. It has to be a solution that is acceptable to the customers, carriers and prem text companies otherwise it wouldn't work.
captainplooky

Feb 18, 2007, 5:41 PM

They could do the last four of the account number.

Offhand, that doesn't sound bad.
captainplooky

Feb 18, 2007, 5:52 PM
Though I do wonder if unscrupulous companies would use "wardialing" type tactics for subscribing people without their consent.
mallbound

Feb 18, 2007, 6:04 PM
I'm sure some do. Or the accounts where they just signed up with us but the last person had an "active" subscription.

Providing the last four or password of some sort would also fix that issue as well as with a new subscriber it would be a different number/password. last four of account number (providing customers can figure out that some fo the very end numbers aren't needed) would also solve the issue for when people don't have a social or it is a business accoutn where they have a tax ID.
Crapbag

Feb 19, 2007, 9:45 PM
What about companies having a feature required on the account for premium SMS. In other words they couldn't even charge the account unless the customer specifically came in and asked that this ability be turned on. It would also keep all personal information in safer hands.
USCELLGIRL

Feb 19, 2007, 10:18 AM
Maybe I am confused, like I said in another post that USC doesnt play with Premium SMS.

So if some of these are unsolicited messeges, how do the companies get the cell phone numbers? Do some carriers actually release customer info?
ZeroSanity

Feb 19, 2007, 11:59 PM
I doubt it's that. More likely, these companies find a list of what exchanges are owned by what companies. For example, T-Mobile owns the 320 exchange in my town. Then, they spam numbers in that exchange.

Either that, or a previous person with that number subscribed, as has been posted before.

In general, they're kind of like email spam companies, except that you have to pay to be spammed. I give it very little time before the BBB takes it down. Much like the long distance slamming that got outlawwed in the late 90s.
Crapbag

Feb 19, 2007, 10:14 PM
It would be nice if customers owned up to a little responsibility too. A few months back i was receiving txt messages in the middle of the night from a five digit number. I immediately called customer care and made sure that they notated my account with the activity so as to avoid any usage charges.
fourtwentyand1

Feb 20, 2007, 12:55 AM
the problem with these companies is only no means no if you delete the messages and never respond that is considered a yes according to dada mobile anyways but the real fun bills are the guys coming back from iraq and i have to be the one to tell them theyre phone bill is so high because his wife has been on lavalife and singles chats

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.