Home  ›  Forums  ›

phonescoop.com

all discussions

show all 28 replies

Necroposting prevention???

not2brite

Dec 20, 2006, 11:38 PM
Is there any way to prevent necroposting (re-posting old threads)? While it is nice to be able to reference past threads, the necroposting from 3 years ago just wastes space. While the posts may be still valid points, it's very difficult to sift through the outdated posts quickly...and yes, I can read the dates, but when glancing quickly, I really don't pay too much attention to the dates.

I prefer fresh, new posts. If you want to start a NEW thread about something from 3 years ago, knock yourself out, but is it possible to prevent very old threads (i figure older than 3 months) from being reposted in their entirety?

Too many necroposts too often...
snapps

Dec 22, 2006, 8:46 AM
did u try changing your options to list it by new threads instead of most recent reply??
craptacularwireless

Dec 22, 2006, 5:38 PM
Not everyone can change those options as most of us our using company computers. It could cause is to be written up or fired.
captainplooky

Dec 22, 2006, 5:42 PM
I don't understand.

If you can log in and submit posts under your own account, why would changing the options of your own account be grounds for reprimand?
Wireless Buddy

Dec 25, 2006, 10:01 PM
changing the options requires cookies.
katrina

Dec 26, 2006, 6:38 PM
doesnt logging in?
captainplooky

Dec 22, 2006, 5:32 PM

it's very difficult to sift through the outdated posts quickly...and yes, I can read the dates, but when glancing quickly, I really don't pay too much attention to the dates.

So instead of taking the time to take preventive measures yourself, which you claim that you are capable of doing, you have asked the site administrators to develop some system or method to prevent this from happening to you all based on your preferences (which appear to not be everyones preferences).

Interesting...
Rich Brome

Dec 25, 2006, 1:27 AM
I don't understand. 😕 What's the problem with it?

If it's relevant and related, and someone has something new to say on that topic, why does it matter when the thread was started?
not2brite

Dec 26, 2006, 12:22 AM
Rich, people are now just doing it to do it...because they can. I know if it's relevent, no problem, but responding to a post from 3 years ago like it was 10 minutes ago, thene I think it's cluttering up your forums. Folks are now trying to see who can find the oldest post to bring back, or the most posts from back when...but you know, it's a free country and a free site, so I've decided not to complain, besides, bring up the topic just creats more, so that's why I realize it really doesn matter.

Thanks anyway. Post away!
katrina

Dec 26, 2006, 6:40 PM
I think most of the people that do it started when people started complaining about necroposting just to be "smart" lol at least I didn't see a real problem with it until then.
BeachSlapped

Dec 27, 2006, 3:44 PM
Please take a look at the cingular forum. Rayban has managed to bring back negative threads about Cingular back to the top of the list. He won't even post something significant to the thread. Just a smiley face, or a "yep" This is what he responded when confronted...

https://www.phonescoop.com/carriers/forum.php?fm=m&f ... »
ArmySF

Dec 27, 2006, 5:41 PM
🤣 🤣 🤣 get a-hold of yourself
rayban

Dec 27, 2006, 5:51 PM
wow, tattle much? 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣
J0hnnyM

Dec 26, 2006, 9:06 AM
Archiving!

Forums should always keep dead YET relevant threads.

Just locked and at the bottom of the forums in a viewable archive.
not2brite

Dec 29, 2006, 12:39 PM
NOW thee forums have turned into almost a complete waste of time...in my opinion. It's not even funny anymore. What once was a once in a blue moon thing has become a running joke in almost every forum. Anf everyone is fine with it, I guess. Just like everything else, seems like only a few really mess things up for everyone.

All I ask is necropost if it's relevent, not just for sh!ts and giggles, 'cause that's all it is lately...sh!ts.
Cellenator

Dec 29, 2006, 12:54 PM
Is the sky falling calm down 🙄
chocolateman85006

Dec 29, 2006, 9:41 PM
If it's Cool with Rich, It's cool with me.
not2brite

Dec 30, 2006, 11:02 AM
so what?
Hayate

Dec 29, 2006, 9:05 PM
People have gotten their point across in the Shop Talk and Lounge. The thing was, it didn't really have any negative effect other than irritating a small handful of people.

This crap in the carrier forums with people going through and pulling all the negative threads to the top is ridiculous though. That gives a false and very negative view of each carrier that could potentially really hurt the reputation of the carriers and of this website.
quest4fun

Jan 10, 2007, 3:07 PM
?
Tiazorz

Dec 29, 2006, 11:31 PM
I actually enjoy a lot of the older threads - being new to the site, I haven't read all of them but there were older threads from years ago that are still great today (such as the best customer quote one in shop talk that was recently brought back).. I would not like to lose those threads 🙂
eric Lin

Jan 2, 2007, 1:56 PM
blocking necroposting as you call it (i originally thought you were talking about posting after a member had been banned) would not be fair. sometimes people have honestly valuable information to add to an old thread or bump it up to see if anyone has found a solution in the menatime that they failed to post on. we don't want to prevent that.

in the past few days we have tried to cool down the flame war that brought about your original concern, dealing with the prime suspects directly. this is how we prefer to solve these problems.

however we cannot do this alone. it's important to us that all forum members report these issues to us instead of taking matters into their own hands and fanning the flames. when this happens, things get ou...
(continues)
captainplooky

Jan 2, 2007, 2:05 PM
The answers you and Rich give sometimes are nothing short of hilarious.

i know it's hard to believe but you know, we actually go out and do things.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat? Please tell me they are cellphone related things that you go out and do!
Wireless Buddy

Jan 2, 2007, 2:23 PM
hahahha i didnt catch that. thats hilarious! 🤣
not2brite

Jan 2, 2007, 11:52 PM
You and Rich seem to keep abreast of the inner workings here and I think you have done an admirable job. There for awhile, it got WAY out of hand, with a little fanning from me. Anyway, keep up the good job and happy new year!
cyberpsionic

Jan 26, 2007, 12:39 PM
😁
MetroTet

Jan 26, 2007, 1:40 PM
Why not jsut go to like php.bb format for the forum... so much easier to use and control, and it'll let me show off the horrific amount of posts i gained in my short time here 😁
not2brite

Jan 26, 2007, 2:59 PM
Who care how many posts you or anyone has had...are we keeping score?

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.