Home  ›  Forums  ›

phonescoop.com

all discussions

Quoting messages

tinkerbell30

Aug 10, 2004, 11:46 AM
I am beginning to agree with the previous poster that this site is outdated in it's formatting...

If this formatting is going to remain as is, is it possible that when people respond that the message they are responding to automatically "pops up" in the replied text box? Many people do not use the "quote message" option and I'm led through a labyrinth of messages trying to determine what the poster is responding to...

If the format isn't going to change so all messages in the thread are readable (like Wireless Advisor or applesupport.com), then could we at least have the message posted in the box?

If the posts get too long, then how about at least an automatic pasting of the message in the box with the responder's option to "edit" t...
(continues)
Rich Brome

Aug 10, 2004, 12:35 PM
...I'm led through a labyrinth of messages trying to determine what the poster is responding to...

Look right above this message. Right here on this page, where it says "In response to". There's a link to your message. There is a link like that to the "parent" message above every message that is a reply to another one. And if the "parent" isn't the top message in the thread, there's a link to that, too. From the top message, you can see all the messages in a nice tree, so it should be very clear who is replying to what. I don't see how it could be a "labyrinth"... 😕

As for quoting, I don't think it's necessary. Since it's so easy to just click and see the parent message, having everyone use quoting would...
(continues)
tinkerbell30

Aug 10, 2004, 1:18 PM
Rich Brome said:
...I'm led through a labyrinth of messages trying to determine what the poster is responding to...

Look right above this message. Right here on this page, where it says "In response to". There's a link to your message. There is a link like that to the "parent" message above every message that is a reply to another one. And if the "parent" isn't the top message in the thread, there's a link to that, too. From the top message, you can see all the messages in a nice tree, so it should be very clear who is replying to what. I don't see how it could be a "labyrinth"... 😕

It becomes a labyrinth when I have to click on every response to see how the previo...
(continues)
Rich Brome

Aug 10, 2004, 1:35 PM
Well, (and this has been discussed several times earlier in this forum if you go back a few pages,) the problem is that there's no good way to combine multiple-messages-per-page with the hierarchical tree structure. I've seen some sites try, but not with much success.

The hierarchical structure is what makes it clear who is replying to what. With the all-on-one-page forums, it's just one straight list of messages, and it's often quite difficult to tell who is replying to what. Plus the conversation usually splits at some point, but then the two or three (or more) conversations are all mashed together. With the tree structure, there can be a dozen tangents all stemming from the same thread, and they're all kept separate and easy to follow....
(continues)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.