Home  ›  Forums  ›

phonescoop.com

all discussions

show all 27 replies

NavBar Ads - Are they intended?

captainplooky

May 1, 2006, 7:03 PM
Hi,

I wanted to inquire if ads appearing on the left nav bar were intentional?

You can find an example here:

http://members.cox.net/cellphoneuser/navad.jpg »

I was just curious because I had not noticed them before today.
Don.Mike

May 1, 2006, 8:30 PM
i noticed them as well, different blue background. but i only noticed it in the lounge.
Don.Mike

May 1, 2006, 8:32 PM
nope, they are there now, in this forum. only occassionally though. kinda like the text only ones that pop op on the right hand side now and again
Rich Brome

May 2, 2006, 10:30 AM
Yep. It's something we're testing out on limited basis. For now they're just on 10% of page views, site-wide.

We're also testing out the same ad unit in a different shape and position: a very narrow strip right below the top banner.

You should only see one or the other on any given page, not both. That goes for both the test period and after. We're not considering adding both permanently.

Any feedback would be appreciated!
MIKE3222

May 2, 2006, 10:58 AM
i don't see any problems with them. i never even noticed the one at the top until i read that. they are still rather unobtrusive. i think i like the one on the left navbar better. the one i noticed up top, when combined with the navigation path and the banner ad, just looks crowded.
Don.Mike

May 4, 2006, 9:47 AM
when you decide which one you want to go with, i vote for the side ad. the one up top is distracting, and may lead to accidental clicks. which isn't bad for you guys i suppose, but could be aggrivating. my 2 pennies worth.
captainplooky

May 2, 2006, 12:33 PM
Like Mike, I haven't noticed the ones appearing at the top yet, only the ones in the left nav bar.

I find them fairly unobstrusive and they do not appear to inhibit my use of the left nav bar, but I do not Email or Print pages very often (parts of the left nav bar that are repositioned lower for the ads).

That is about it from me for now 🙂
captainplooky

May 4, 2006, 5:49 PM
Like Mike, I find the top ones, now that I have seen them, a bit distracting.

I find my eyes jumping to them for a split second, realizing they are adds, and jumping back to the point I was reading almost immediately.

It is kinda like when Firefox blocks a popup and alerts you, you see the motion and understand what is happening while spending little to no attention to it.

However, with the side ads, I find them less distracting and often find myself glancing at them without realizing it.
alejandro

May 4, 2006, 5:50 PM
they are fine with me.
alejandro

May 4, 2006, 6:20 PM
Plus, us losers who just post in the lounge all day have already learned to ignore the banners, taking ad advise from people who do nothing but cost you in bandwidth and generate no revenue is not really the best thing.
captainplooky

May 4, 2006, 6:23 PM
Yeah, you guys suck. You all should check out the ads on occasion like I do.
Don.Mike

May 4, 2006, 6:27 PM
rich and eric can't encourage it though. but we can! click away guys! i do on occassion, i clicked the mission impossible banner today, and the google maps for phone banner the other day. i try.
Rich Brome

May 4, 2006, 10:29 PM
It actually doesn't help us at all to just click on banners for the sake of it.

Most of our banners are not paid per-click. Even most of the Google ones are not per-click.

For the ones that are per-click, a click that doesn't result in a transaction may give us a few extra cents short-term, but it is also slightly lowers the advertiser's ROI for that campaign, making them less likely continue advertising through that channel. ☚ī¸

Of course I'm not saying don't click if you're genuinely interested! 🙂 ...just that "extra" clicks to try and help us ...don't actually help us.

We really appreciate the desire to help us out! ...but really it's better to just treat our ads like any other ads anywhere else. It all w...
(continues)
alejandro

May 4, 2006, 6:28 PM
i click them all the time, but always on accident.
alejandro

May 4, 2006, 6:29 PM
its not like an actual sign-up for services hit.
Don.Mike

May 4, 2006, 6:29 PM
they probably get paid by the click though.
alejandro

May 4, 2006, 6:31 PM
yes, but even more if the person actually signs up and keeps service.
alejandro

May 4, 2006, 6:32 PM
but thats probably difficult with the major carrier forums being such a hotbed of corporate whoring... if someone asks a question they start attacking them and scaring them away.
Don.Mike

May 4, 2006, 6:34 PM
it is pretty bad.
'i have a question, will verizon let me do this?'
'you go to hell with your verizon hating, you troll!'

i think i actually saw that conversation once.
alejandro

May 4, 2006, 6:36 PM
oh yeah, that whole bluetooth thing effectively destroyed that forum.
Don.Mike

May 4, 2006, 6:39 PM
verizons? yeah it did. now there is a 'verizon disables bluetooth! did you guys know that!?' thread weekly. cingular is releasing a crippled phone though i believe. it's an LG, so it may just be because they are used to making crippled phones.
alejandro

May 4, 2006, 6:47 PM
yeah, so the cingular troll faction or "CTF" is also a Bluetooth troll organization, merely for cohesive whoring. all those kids have their corporate logos tatood on their forehead.
Don.Mike

May 4, 2006, 6:48 PM
either that or the vzw logo with a slash through it.
alejandro

May 4, 2006, 6:49 PM
yeah, but it works both ways, the verizon kids are just as bad.
Don.Mike

May 4, 2006, 6:53 PM
i know. i try not to be.
Don.Mike

May 4, 2006, 6:24 PM
harsh.
Don.Mike

May 5, 2006, 10:10 AM
have you guys considered putting a 'get firefox' button somewhere? when i was using adsense i remember it paying $1 for everyone who downloaded it from that link. plus, everyone should use firefox (personal opinion)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.