Home  ›  Forums  ›

phonescoop.com

all discussions

Linux OS forum?

BigMatza

Apr 1, 2004, 10:38 AM
Hey Brome,

There seem to be some great Linux OS phones coming out this year. Could we have a Linux phone forum? (or does one already exist under another name)

-"Gump"
Rich Brome

Apr 5, 2004, 10:54 AM
The only one I'm aware of (outside China) is the Motorola E680. One issue with Linux is that for it to gain serious traction, there needs to be some kind of standardized platform for it. If Motorola makes a big push to license their Motojuix platform, and it catches on, then I'll certainly create a forum for that.
PaulJ

Aug 31, 2004, 6:42 PM
Well, there's now the Motorola A780 and also maybe E28's E2800+. As for standardized platform, that's what Java is for. Anyway, even if you don't make a Linux OS forum, I'd really like to see you add Linux as a real choice (instead of N/A) for the phone database so I could say 'show me all linux phones'.

Thanks!
Rich Brome

Aug 31, 2004, 11:36 PM
The problem is that Linux doesn't yet have any kind of serious, standardized platform that anyone is even trying to promote for phones. Even Motorola admits that their Linux phones are based on Linux with a "custom" (proprietary) UI and set of APIs.

Yes, they have Java in there, but so do most phones. In that respect, Linux isn't much different from Qualcomm's OS.

My point is that Linux in a phone isn't yet something that has any meaning to consumers, or even developers. Any given two "Linux phones" could have totally different UIs for consumers, and totally different APIs for developers.

So at least in the mobile phone space, Linux is simply not a "platform". An OS? Yes. A platform? No. At least not as far as consumers and develop...
(continues)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.